Time or Miles Longest You've Gone wout an oil chg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longest?When I was 16 (15-17)I had a 1989 Chev Corsica LTZ
sick.gif
, about 20k (guess) and 4 or so years on chevron or halvoline, not sure which and a puro white can. LOTS of rush hour traffic, short trips, drove in the heat of the summer for 3 or 4 days with a failed thermostat, often pinning the needle in the red. Car had no lube related failures, got wrecked. It would throw a different code with different computers installed, and ran like a pile of ____ when a computer would throw no codes. God bless Chevrolet...the care was a nightmare, with constantly something going on, but it would just not die,though the interior was nice.

Longest miles: 37.000 miles on my Dodge Ram diesel. That was about 7 months, but 3 of those were towing commercially.
Longest time: 6 years and counting on my 1972 GMC 1500. I put Valvoline VR1 in it in 2010, and haven't run 1k miles on it since. Since it's kept in a heated garage, I don't worry about temperature changes causing problems with the oil.

Last edited:
Time wise, I am 99% sure the oil in my dad's Comanche has been there since June 2014. It probably has less than 500 miles on this fill though.

Mileage wise.. Probably 12k in my mom's 4Runner.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Don't think I have ever gone over 6000 km on an oil change.

Aww you weeny

Well it wasn't my vehicle, but my parents have a 2002 Caravan with the 2.4L and I had changed the oil for them in 2005 or 2006 and I put Mobil one in it along with a mobil one filter I believe. Well my father is terrible about doing maintenance on a vehicle and I asked him several times if he had changed the oil since I had done it last and he told me he had.

Fast forward to 2010 and roughly 20k to 25k miles later and I put a battery in the van for them and looked at the oil, Thought to myself it looked kinda dark and I knew it had been a while since my dad claimed to had changed it so I got the supplies I needed.

What I found was a really rusty mobil 1 filter that was the one I put on years before, and drained out some nasty looking oil. To be fair the oil looked really good for the mileage I believe it had on it, but it was definitely dirty.

My dad swore he had changed it since I had previous to that, but unless he just drained the oil and refilled it then he was mistaken. I believe he was thinking about the time he had changed it prior to the time I changed it in the mid 2000s.

Since then I have been tracking OCI on their van and changing it for them.

I wish I would have grabbed a sample of the oil to send in to have a UOA done on it but I did not.

It didn't seem to do any damage to the engine so far. Kinda sold me on mobil 1

longest I ever did was 13k miles on my 2010 mazda 3 2.0. I used mobil 1 EP oil and filter and I freaked out and changed it before 15k miles

My father in law regularly does 50k mile oil changes but he's a trucker. He did say they don't use bypass filters or special oil but I am not sure if he really knows or not.

Last edited:
13000km, by accident, even though the car can do 20,000km as per the manufacturer (which IMO is asinine, but that's a whole other discussion)

8300 miles and probably nine months on 3.7L F-150 on a dealer oil-change with Motorcraft filter and conventional oil. I was testing out the IOLM on the newish car. It actually signals you to change at the 5% mark, not zero.

UOAed and everything was just fine, but it was clear it didn't have more than 1,000 or 1,500 miles left. In other words the IOLM was dead-on accurate. I have no compunctions about running it into the low teens, (the meter I mean, not the mileage) that's for sure.

I intend to repeat the test again at this change now that it is at around 60K to see if the accuracy holds up in middle age.

Last edited:
I run between 13-15k mile intervals in my 2011 Mustang GT. Amsoil Sig Series 10w30, EA017 filter. Car isn't babied and UOA's come back beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back