Need advice; bringing a car out of storage after a few years

Top up with some fresh gas and a can of B12 chemtool.
I second the B12. I had a car that sat for three or four years that I fired up with a new battery, drove it around to get all the old gas through it (it ran shockingly fine and started with no issue) but it definitely didn't have the power that it once had even with fresh gas. Maybe fuel gummed up in the injector nozzles, who knows. I put fresh fuel in it a second or third time with B12, and after that ran through it the engine pulled much harder than before. I'm a big believer in that stuff now.

Been there, done that. Try to charge up the battery, air up the tires, and crank her over. Chances are it will fire right up without too much fuss, though you may need to jump start it if the battery won't take a charge. Head to the gas station and fill it up with premium and just drive it. Maybe change the oil early if it makes you feel better.

Three years is not a lot for a modern car.

I’d like to thank everyone for their advice. Most of your advice is what I imagined. Keep my fingers crossed as I need to get a state inspection to renew my tags.

I've stored many vehicles/engines for years.

I take a fresh battery, and air tank or compressor if power is available. As others have said, check for rodent damage, check under the car for fluid leaks on the floor etc. I disable the fuel system and crank it over with the starter until oil idiot light extinguishes and then enable fuel system. That could be pulling fuel pump fuse or relay before initial cranking.

Best it will more than likely burn the fuel that is in it. I'd bring a can of fresh gas with me, and top fill it up when you get to a gas station. Add your choice of fuel additive I'd it makes you feel good.

Back