Time for a new roof? Quote too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a leak in the chimney seal on our 15 year old roof. My contractor got a roofing guy to fix it for $1,500. The contractor probably kept $500 and gave the roofer $1,000. Our contractor (who has done quite a bit of other work on our house) looks out for us on these things so that we do not overpay for repairs not needed. He earns his money.

No more leaks since it was done 5 years ago & no more repairs on the roof. In two more years, we'll sell.

We just had our roof done last summer for $7K. Our house is 1800 sq ft. We got the lifetime shingles...

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Zee09
That price seems typical for that size house.

I guess I was just expecting it to be more. Currently waiting to hear back on a quote for a metal roof.

How many other metal roofs on homes in your area? I wouldn't think there would be alot of meal roofs in your area? I have a metal roof on my house and it seems to be getting popular around here as an alternative. There's so many variables with metal roofing, your standard 3' roofing tin is a budget friendly option. Standing seam is expensive, but will outlast any asphalt option. Your house does look like an easy candidate for metal roofing.

Why use square feet of the house? Go by squares (100 square feet) of roof. Pitch matters, and that's what roofers charge by. Or am I missing something?

$5k sounds good to me. I paid $5.5k for 9 squares ten years ago and that included two skylights, included stripping and some sheathing. But I had snow and ice shield put down, which I suspect you don't need.

What sheathing do you have? I've been told recently that one should put down 3/8's plywood over 1x12 planking, can't put snow and ice shield directly over planking.

What kind of venting do you have? Looks like gable so as long as the soffits are open (along with the attic) I think that would simplify things.

First of all , I would try to re-seal around the vent .

If I were to put a new roof on , I would first get the information on which shingle , exactly , they are quoting . Then go price them myself . The difference in dollar amount is pretty much the labor cost . Do not forget to consider the cost of the black felt .

I would offer to purchase the shingles and felt , then pay them for the labor .

My background is commercial construction . I would pay nothing up front . I would not pay the labor until it was finished & then only after I had visually inspected it ( or pay some one else , knowledgeable , to inspect it ) .

How many squares ( square feet ) of roofing are they quoting ?

As for as the $ 6,000 price , I have no idea .

Best of luck , :)

Just had mine done a month ago. Went thru Home Advisor, (licensed, bonded, insured contractor). House is 1640 sq. ft. and had it done for $5000. Owens Corning Duration shingles (lifetime guarantee) and contractor gave me a 10 year leak proof guarantee. Very happy with the job they did.

One other thing, if you go to a Class 4 shingle, your insurance premiums will come down typically 15-20 percent.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
If it is just the vent pipe leaking, you can seal that up yourself and buy a few years of time to save up for the roof. It sounds like it’s still good. No curling or other weather issues showing?

Exactly what I was thinking.. But OP is in Florida and it's my rudimentary understanding that Homeowners Insurance requires a new roof there every 15 years, or something like that.

I used lead flashing on the vent pipe when I redid my roof. I've seen them in Florida's Home Depot.

Originally Posted By: grampi
We got the lifetime shingles...

You need a steep pitched roof for lifetime shingles. The OP appears to have a 4 by 12 roof. It's too shallow. The water would have a hard time running down with lifetime shingles, which are thick, and could cause water intrusion into the home.

I looked into it myself when I was buying shingles. The counterperson talked me out of it because of this issue.

I guess I don't get why you'd replace the entire roof if the shingles are in good shape?

Like said, if you have a leak, that's one of the more common sources and easy to fix leaks. I've seen vent pipe, roof vent, chimneys and skylights leak right after a brand new roof installation.

Last edited:
That's a pretty tall vent stack for being so close to the ridge. Odd that.
Are you able to get on the roof and take a photo of the base of it?

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
We had a leak in the chimney seal on our 15 year old roof. My contractor got a roofing guy to fix it for $1,500. The contractor probably kept $500 and gave the roofer $1,000. Our contractor (who has done quite a bit of other work on our house) looks out for us on these things so that we do not overpay for repairs not needed. He earns his money.

No more leaks since it was done 5 years ago & no more repairs on the roof. In two more years, we'll sell.

Last time I reflashed a chimney, it cost me around $250. It was about $100 for the lead and the guy who did it just did it for $150. Only took him a few hours but he had some swearing about it because he did it in the hot sun. Someone else had quoted me $200 for labor so he bid $150 to undercut him. I think it probably would have been around $350. Most of the time I hear it's in the $500-$1000 range depending on the area and how difficult it is to access. Mine was easy as there was a roof hatch so all he had to was walk out the hatch, no ladder needed.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
That's a pretty tall vent stack for being so close to the ridge. Odd that.
Are you able to get on the roof and take a photo of the base of it?

That isn't the vent that is leaking, its an old cast iron vent pipe on the back side of the house. You cant see it in the pic. I have some time off this weekend, maybe I will get up there and take a look.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Only took him a few hours but he had some swearing about it because he did it in the hot sun.

Oh yes, that Massachusetts sun.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Only took him a few hours but he had some swearing about it because he did it in the hot sun.

crackmeup2.gif

lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Oh yeah, might have been 80 which is hot for Massachusetts. The roof might be hotter as it absorbs all that heat. But yeah, people grumble all the time.

crackmeup2.gif

Oh yeah, might have been 80 which is hot for Massachusetts. The roof might be hotter as it absorbs all that heat. But yeah, people grumble all the time.

80? I miss January too!

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

Last time I reflashed a chimney, it cost me around $250. It was about $100 for the lead and the guy who did it just did it for $150. Only took him a few hours but he had some swearing about it because he did it in the hot sun. Someone else had quoted me $200 for labor so he bid $150 to undercut him. I think it probably would have been around $350. Most of the time I hear it's in the $500-$1000 range depending on the area and how difficult it is to access. Mine was easy as there was a roof hatch so all he had to was walk out the hatch, no ladder needed.

Forgot to mention, needed some new bricks plus pointing the rest of the chimney on a 3 story very steep pitched roof on a small plot of land.

crackmeup2.gif

You think that's bad, you should try out our 70 up here. OMG it's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back