Thoughts on winter boat storage - Cover or tarp

This boat will be stored in this spot over the winter. PNW climate - no serious freeze or snow usually. I am inexperienced at this an am wondering if leaving the canvas in place is sufficient, or if I should tarp it. It seems there are pros and cons. The existing canvas is fairly recent, good shape. We have had some very serious rain the last two days and on checking inside, there was only a few drops on the seats in the cockpit area, apparently very slight leakage through zippers between the two parts of the canvas. The boat is well protected from wind but we get a lot of rain. Unfortunately there's a low wall and landscape "island" in front of this area that prevents getting the boat+trailer under the roofed area.

- Tarp over canvas can lead to mildew in the canvas. That would be a big problem here where it's very wet and almost always well above freezing.
- Canvas only increases wear& tear on the expensive custom canvas.

My inclination is to use the canvas, treat it with 303 or something to reduce wear, not use a tarp. Perhaps put a heater inside and turn it on when I'm around for a few hours once a week or two to warm and dehumidify the cuddy and cockpit.

Other ideas?

IMG-4651.jpg

I would shrink wrap it down to the trailer bunks personally. I know a guy here that does it so cheap, it basically pays for itself by not needing a new cover every few years as they don’t age the best IMO.

Don’t forget to pull the drain plug(s) in the hull and open up all compartments for air circulation.

Maybe put the battery/ batteries on a tender too. I assume you’re going to winterize it as well.

Of your two choices I would go with a quality boat cover. Prop it up in the cockpit like a tent so water will run off. They're not cheap but less expensive than having custom canvas made when what you have starts to wear.

You pose a tough question being I am from the other coast, been boating for many decades both on the Great South Bay and now a lake in SC

I know you guys get a lot of rain there, tough question, but based on my experience here this is what I would do, dont know if it is right for you.

I would take the existing cover off for the winter and put one of these on. I guessing that boat is around 22 feet. https://www.amazon.com/boat-covers-22-ft/s?k=boat+covers+22+ft I would avoid canvas, they even have some made of Tyvek
A cover is from around $75 to $150. Use it every few years, throw it away when it's no longer useful. In your case you would need to get a 2x4 to go down the center line from the windshield to the back to prevent rain water accumulation.

I personally like covering the entire boat, actually now in the southeast we throw a cover over the boat and existing cover even during summer, its easy for us, smaller boat now, sun is the enemy here and it stops the fiberglas from fading making waxing much easier in the spring.
You maybe even able to get away (since you dont get snow) throwing the cover over the existing cover, which is what we do, but yeah, I get the concern over mold, its an issue everywhere and sounds like maybe even more there.

Also get that boat on a nice angle, hitch nice and high for water to drain. I dont like the idea of a heater but never much thought about it, in theory sounds great as long as you dont burn the boat down... You could put a heavy duty 100/150 watt light bulb or similar in there on a timer for 12 hours a day or whatever.

I you dont have a battery switch, disconnect the batteries. I never used a tender in decades of boating, I just replace them every 3 years or so.

Just my thoughts which after reading isnt much help...

I would take the existing cover off for the winter and put one of these on. I guessing that boat is around 22 feet. https://www.amazon.com/boat-covers-22-ft/s?k=boat+covers+22+ft I would avoid canvas, they even have some made of Tyvek
A cover is from around $75 to $150. Use it every few years, throw it away when it's no longer useful.

I didn't know those were so cheap. That's a good idea. I checked again today and there was a little more water inside, so the existing canvas is probably not up to it. Granted, it was EXTREME rain, and a light/heater would take care of it. But at that price, it looks good. I can't wrap it as I want access periodically to do a few small projects, re-cover some padding, wire some accessories, etc. over the winter.

Also get that boat on a nice angle, hitch nice and high for water to drain. I dont like the idea of a heater but never much thought about it, in theory sounds great as long as you dont burn the boat down... You could put a heavy duty 100/150 watt light bulb or similar in there on a timer for 12 hours a day or whatever.

The light + switch is probably a very good idea. That or a small, safe heater on a timer in well next to the steering station/cuddy bulkhead would keep things dry.

I would shrink wrap it down to the trailer bunks personally. I know a guy here that does it so cheap, it basically pays for itself by not needing a new cover every few years as they don’t age the best IMO.

Don’t forget to pull the drain plug(s) in the hull and open up all compartments for air circulation.

Maybe put the battery/ batteries on a tender too. I assume you’re going to winterize it as well.

Yep, this is what we do. We winterize then have them wrapped.

My 23' Regal came with a very expensive canvas cover. I keep the cover on and cover with a poly tarp. Lots of bungee cords to secure the tarp.

It gets very damp here in the CA central valley in the winter. I've never had an issue with mold/mildew and the interior stays clean.

I also keep a battery tender on when not in use.

Back