85 Sentra 1.6l, 151k, unknown miles on oil

Yes! I don't remember there being a hatch version.
Right? Rare one indeed and it looks awesome.

I'd mostly be concerned with what the rodents have done to the vehicle in all that time, but at least with it being a 1985, the wiring shouldn't be all that complicated. Parts will be a hard find for it for sure.

Once you get this beast running correctly, don't forget to replace the timing belt @himemsys .
There's a lot of things that need done to this car that I'd say are outside of our abilities, but we've surprised ourselves in the past. I've never done a timing belt before. On the surface, it seems too difficult. I don't have a lot of tools. Maybe once it's running, we can drive it to a mechanic for the hard stuff. The good thing is no one is depending on this car as a daily driver, so we can take our time and walk away when things get frustrating.

Can anyone point out the throttle adjustment screw? We got the car running, but it idles at a solid 2500 rpm cold. Once it warms up, it drops to 2000 rpm, but then hunts between 2000 and 2300 rpm.

I replaced the transmission fluid with Redline MT-90. Interestingly, the drain plug is too tight to open for the MT, so I ended up pumping the tranny oil out from the fill hole and pumping in 3 qts, letting it push some of the old oil out as I continued pumping until i used up all 3 qts I bought (fill capacity is ~2.7 qts). I then drove it up and down our long driveway, hitting the brakes frequently to knock some of the rust off of the front rotors. So it drives, but the high idle is weird. Hoping the throttle adjustment screw will help drop it where it needs to be (800 rpm). I just can't figure out where it is. We have a shop manual, but the diagram is not detailed enough for me to pinpoint it. Lots of cracked hoses that will need to be replaced. LOL.

First pic is from the passenger side. Second pic driver side.

Attachments

• 4ED7CD80-3807-4910-A429-A3DBCF0DA6DE.jpeg
    4ED7CD80-3807-4910-A429-A3DBCF0DA6DE.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 13
  • E644D033-52B6-4580-A023-8B527C8C3209.jpeg
    E644D033-52B6-4580-A023-8B527C8C3209.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Driver side, in the center of the image, behind the cable there's a spring, try there. Hard to explain from an image but it's what looks like a small coil spring you would find in a click pen, sorry it's been a while since I've been under the hood of a vintage Nissan. Also, there may be additional steps involving vacuum hoses that are required to do this correctly.

Back