Thoughts on these boats?

So still looking for a boat. Decided to slow it down and am really taking our time, getting as much info as possible on all options. May buy this fall/winter if the price is right but otherwise could wait until spring and attend the boat shows in Green Bay and/or Milwaukee. Looking at 1750-19 foot models. Looking for a fish and ski type model. I also want a model with the wider gunwales and interior sides that drop straight down because it is safer from falling overboard for the kiddo than having storage hit mid-shin if you walk into it.

Use would be mostly around Oshkosh, WI. There is an 8000 acre lake right in my backyard that goes into a river and the river has restaurants, etc. I would also like flexibility to take on smaller 300-400 acre lakes to the west and north.

Thoughts on Lund? I know they are considered great, but I have read a lot of BBB that they don't honor their hull warranty. Some people with 2020+ model year Impacts are reporting hull creases and Lund giving them a hard time. I would be looking at Crossover XS in 1775 or 1875. I like the layout a lot. Unsure about the thin aluminum they use all around except they double plate the bow. Haven't talked with dealers in depth enough to get into pricing much yet.

Also considering Alumacraft Trophy. I like the height of the backrest on the 1850 (18") for lounging, most are 15" or 12" and are a bit uncomfortable that low. Has nice rails on the bow to hang onto while sitting or at the dock. Fit and finish on the interior are not as good as Lund or G3. One piece double thickness on the whole bottom, not just bow. Side walls are thicker than in the Lund. It is definitely geared more toward fish than recreation. But the pricing is decent. I can get a 1850 for $47500 before any rebates with Merc Pro XS 150.

G3 Angler V750 SF or 1850 SF. Has double thickness bottom like the Alumacraft, though slightly less thick (1850 Trophy is 0.10 x 2, and G3 is 0.08 x 2). Would need a TurboSwing since they don't have an option for ski pole from factory. I have read a bit that these don't control spray well and it is a "wet" ride. Any experience with this brand and spray?

Polar Kraft Kodiak 1850 is a possibility. I don't know much about them. There is a dealer about 50 miles away and this dealer typically carries only higher quality/more expensive boats. I heard they are pretty popular more east vs midwest.

Open to other possibilities as well, even glass if there is a more recreational type boat that also can be used for fishing (or fishing boat that can be used for recreation - I looked at some of these and most reasonable was Skeeter at $60k). Around here the two big names are Lund and Alumacraft. But there are a few G3 dealers, so they are known about. I hope to keep this 20+ years, but if not it would be nice to be able to sell fairly easily by having a recognized name.

I'd prefer a Yamaha SHO but I could deal with the Merc Pro XS. Depending on where I buy it, I can get Yamaha with the Alumacraft. Can only get Merc with Lund (both Brunswick companies). G3 is a Yamaha brand so they only come with Yam.

Budget is $50k but would prefer $45k.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with any of those boats so cannot recommend one over the other.

I think I would want a fiberglass boat rather than aluminum. Plywood is used in boats for a variety or purposes. I would ask if it's treated plywood. Seats and floors fall apart when cheap plywood is used.

I see a lot of Yamaha outboards in Delaware.

Trailer. Vehicle to tow the trailer.

Have you considered used? People buy a boat and after a year or two determine they never use it or boating is not for them.

Take a boating safety class.

Get an electronic beacon vs flares to meet USCG requirements.

I am not familiar with any of those boats so cannot recommend one over the other.

I think I would want a fiberglass boat rather than aluminum. Plywood is used in boats for a variety or purposes. I would ask if it's treated plywood. Seats and floors fall apart when cheap plywood is used.

I see a lot of Yamaha outboards in Delaware.

Trailer. Vehicle to tow the trailer.

Have you considered used? People buy a boat and after a year or two determine they never use it or boating is not for them.

Take a boating safety class.

Get an electronic beacon vs flares to meet USCG requirements.

Good general thoughts.

I have a Ram 1500 so I can tow whatever. I do need it to fit in my garage and prefer a single axle swing trailer, which is why 1875 is the biggest I am considering. Been boating most of my life, currently have an almost 40 year old 16' fiberglass with a 90 hp Johnson that has some rod knock. Just not worth spending $3k to fix. Though the mechanic did say it isn't that bad and he would run it until it gets bad which might not be for 5+ years.

Here is the cheapest glass boat I found. They have two, one in blue and one in red. Maybe they would lower the price in two months if not sold?

Too bad you can't come here, there's a beauty for sale right down the road. 2018, 20 ft.
Sorry I don't have mere details but I just glanced at the sign when driving by.

So still looking for a boat. Decided to slow it down and am really taking our time, getting as much info as possible on all options. May buy this fall/winter if the price is right but otherwise could wait until spring and attend the boat shows in Green Bay and/or Milwaukee. Looking at 1750-19 foot models. Looking for a fish and ski type model. I also want a model with the wider gunwales and interior sides that drop straight down because it is safer from falling overboard for the kiddo than having storage hit mid-shin if you walk into it.

Use would be mostly around Oshkosh, WI. There is an 8000 acre lake right in my backyard that goes into a river and the river has restaurants, etc. I would also like flexibility to take on smaller 300-400 acre lakes to the west and north.

Thoughts on Lund? I know they are considered great, but I have read a lot of BBB that they don't honor their hull warranty. Some people with 2020+ model year Impacts are reporting hull creases and Lund giving them a hard time. I would be looking at Crossover XS in 1775 or 1875. I like the layout a lot. Unsure about the thin aluminum they use all around except they double plate the bow. Haven't talked with dealers in depth enough to get into pricing much yet.

Also considering Alumacraft Trophy. I like the height of the backrest on the 1850 (18") for lounging, most are 15" or 12" and are a bit uncomfortable that low. Has nice rails on the bow to hang onto while sitting or at the dock. Fit and finish on the interior are not as good as Lund or G3. One piece double thickness on the whole bottom, not just bow. Side walls are thicker than in the Lund. It is definitely geared more toward fish than recreation. But the pricing is decent. I can get a 1850 for $47500 before any rebates with Merc Pro XS 150.

G3 Angler V750 SF or 1850 SF. Has double thickness bottom like the Alumacraft, though slightly less thick (1850 Trophy is 0.10 x 2, and G3 is 0.08 x 2). Would need a TurboSwing since they don't have an option for ski pole from factory. I have read a bit that these don't control spray well and it is a "wet" ride. Any experience with this brand and spray?

Polar Kraft Kodiak 1850 is a possibility. I don't know much about them. There is a dealer about 50 miles away and this dealer typically carries only higher quality/more expensive boats. I heard they are pretty popular more east vs midwest.

Open to other possibilities as well, even glass if there is a more recreational type boat that also can be used for fishing (or fishing boat that can be used for recreation - I looked at some of these and most reasonable was Skeeter at $60k). Around here the two big names are Lund and Alumacraft. But there are a few G3 dealers, so they are known about. I hope to keep this 20+ years, but if not it would be nice to be able to sell fairly easily by having a recognized name.

I'd prefer a Yamaha SHO but I could deal with the Merc Pro XS. Depending on where I buy it, I can get Yamaha with the Alumacraft. Can only get Merc with Lund (both Brunswick companies). G3 is a Yamaha brand so they only come with Yam.

Budget is $50k but would prefer $45k.
I had a big Lund 1850 Tyee with a 200hp Merc Optimax. It was a beast....fast, smooth, and stable. I loved it. I bought it used and then sold it for a couple grand more than I paid for it. I never imagined that could happen. I am surprised and hate to hear that there may be support issues with Lund nowadays. Their reputation was always better than that.

My nephew has had two Alumacraft boats and loved them both. He used them a lot. His current one is really nice with a Honda 150 on it. It is a great boat with a nice ride, good quality construction, and it performs well.

I have a Polar Kraft 1770WB and it is a basic fishing boat. It has been great, though. Solid and a nice dry ride. I've had it for about 11 years now and have had zero issues.

A friend's family owned a rental cabin resort in Minnesota and for years they rented out Lund boats that were 12-14ft aluminum deep V basic boats with tiller steer outboards, similar to my Polar Kraft. He said they replaced them all due to age and wear and got a much better deal on the replacement fleet with Polar Kraft. He said that 3 or so years in, the Polar Kraft boats had impressed them and they felt they were holding up to rental use as good as the Lunds.

I don't beat my boat or abuse it in any way, so I can't speak to how tough it is, but I really like it, overall. I got a heck of a deal on it years ago and will probably keep it for many years to come.

The only boat with which I ever had a major warranty claim was a 1993 Nitro 16' fiberglass bass boat. It had a structural defect that caused cracking in the lower transom. They tried to fix it at a shop of my choice, but it did not hold. After engineers examined photographs and talked to the repair shop, they decided to give me a brand new boat, which was a newer and better design. They picked mine up in October and transferred the motor, sonar, and everything, over to the new hull. No fuss or hassle. If I ever buy another new boat, it will probably be a Tracker. I don't know anyone who ever had a bad experience with that company.

Not sure how helpful that was, but it's my experience.

Last edited:
There's a lot of good boat review channels on YouTube. Plug those models in on there for some good insight. I'd lean towards the boats with a Yahmaha SHO, no wood because it can start to rot after a few years of getting wet, check the finish inside storage bins for quality or lack there of. Make sure you're super comfortable with the dealer for post sale support/warranty issues that arise.

@RTexasF if he sees this, he knows boats well.

Although not inexpensive the Skeeter you linked to is a bargain in today's market. The items that other makers charge extra for come standard on that model including 200 HP instead of a barely adequate engine size. Regardless of how long they are in stock, the MSRP will be the price shown. Appearing in person with approved credit and down payment in hand begins the price negotiation.

Although not inexpensive the Skeeter you linked to is a bargain in today's market. The items that other makers charge extra for come standard on that model including 200 HP instead of a barely adequate engine size. Regardless of how long they are in stock, the MSRP will be the price shown. Appearing in person with approved credit and down payment in hand begins the price negotiation.
Yeah, I know the Skeeter is a bargain in today's market. Still, $60k is a lot for my uses. I also have read a lot about late model Skeeters webbing and the company considers it cosmetic and won't fix it. MSRP on that boat is around $75k.

I prefer the Lund Tyee GS or the Crossover. The newer Lunds have a composite transom that will not rot out. I had to replace my transom with a composite and it's expensive. The Lunds from something like 2018 and newer all have a composite transom. Lund resale is probably better than the other brands you listed. Make sure you get a Drotto quick release before you use it much. I had a Lund GS before the one pictured too. I have not had too many problems other than the transom. I have owned Lunds for over 30 years and am quite happy and would buy another one.

Attachments

• YxgC6OuGTRaN7j1YKp9PSA.jpg
    YxgC6OuGTRaN7j1YKp9PSA.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, I know the Skeeter is a bargain in today's market. Still, $60k is a lot for my uses. I also have read a lot about late model Skeeters webbing and the company considers it cosmetic and won't fix it. MSRP on that boat is around $75k.
They have a one-year warranty for cosmetic repairs just FYI. Doesn't really matter since it's not the right rig for your usage.

Lund typically costs more, but typically will resell for more as well. (Note: I own a 22+ year old Lund, and short of wondering when I will need to replace the transom, I look forward to many more years of service out of it (Lund Pro Sport 1700 with a Yamaha 115 Four Stroke on it).

Can't say much directly on the Alumcrafts - no recent personal experience.

Good friends family has a G3 - 18 foot fish and ski boat with a Yamaha 150 on it. It retailed and sold for less than the Lund / Crestliner / Alumacraft brands here for a similarly equipped boat. It did have a keel leak that needed to be repaired, and G3 did honor their warranty. Other than that it has been a generally solid boat. Some nice features for the price anyways. The trailer and travel cover that came with are junk though.

Looked at the Lund Crossover finally. It was a 2 year old used one with not that many hours. I didn't like it. The fit and finish was a step down from Alumacraft, IMO. There were several places where the carpet wasn't tucked well in the corners. The carpet on the interior of the glove box came unglued and the prior owner used duct cape to secure it back and it didn't work. The hydraulic steering was loose and needed bleeding (this makes me worry about all the Mercury hydraulic steering which they have on 150s, though, and of going with Yamaha even if more $$$).

One of the biggest things is the back rest for the bow seating was only about 14" high and not very comfortable. You also sit pretty high in the bow vs the Alumacraft, so more dangerous to sit up there while traveling. The dock guard that runs along the side of the boat didn't seem good quality, and even with that there were a bunch of dock rash marks.

For supposedly being the "Cadillac" of aluminum boats, it felt cheap.

I did like all the storage, especially the under floor storage between the two main seats. I also liked the layout of the rear of the boat with the live well being between the jump seats instead of under one like in the Trophy.

So now it is between the Trophy (1750 or preferably 1850) and the G3 1750 or 1850VF. I haven't seen the G3 in person since everyone is sold out of that model. I would have to wait for 2024 to arrive.

I have a 2007 G3 16.5 foot deep V with a 50 hp Yamaha two cycle. I have been extremely happy with this boat in every respect. It’s not the fastest boat on the water (30mph at WOT with just me) but everything still works flawlessly and it handles rough water much better than the fiberglass bass boat I used to own.

Attachments

• 348D3121-C024-4EEB-96FA-17313AF34D13.jpeg
    348D3121-C024-4EEB-96FA-17313AF34D13.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 8
Back