Thoughts on the STP Extended Life Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
...Not certain how accurate this info is, but i read somehwre (don't remember which board / forum it was ) that the STP blue oil filter is essestially a WIX filter... Who knows..

Not in this area, and as far back as I can recall AZ STP Blue never a Wix made filter.

Here AZ STP blue have long been a Champ Labs made filter. Then when "fram filtration" alliance occurred (fram/Champ) they became a combination of Champ Labs and some fram fiber endcap filters. Similar to the WM TLE Fram Core line without the texture can. That didn't last long as the alliance broke up and currently AZ STP blue in this area are back to full Champ Labs made filters. Identical in my observation to the new WM ST line, but with more applications including a newly added classic construction 7317 application.

That said, based on anecdotes posted on bitog other parts of the country like eastern/central Pa. and out west (ID), the AZ STP blue made by M&H Puro.

As noted earlier currently in this area, topic AZ STP XL a China coo filter with no ISO efficiency rating on box. The ML MaxLife, still a M&H Purolator made filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: Hannibal
Big difference between XL and MaxLife construction is XL is a blend media while MaxLife is 100% synthetic. XL is rated for 10k miles vs. 15k for MaxLife...whatever that means...like most marketing claims in my opinion...not much. It will drive price though!

Marking claims these days aren't just pulled out of the air or other places. Reputable companies have based those claims on some kind of technical information and test measurements.
Unless they're made by Chinese manufacturers, with no accountability-these aren't Ultras we're talking about here, or even any other American manufactured filter. I have a couple of the STP XL filters myself, but I wouldn't run them for 20K (like I have an Ultra)!

STP is a well known US based company ... so I'd think they aren't going to be making stuff up in terms of performance claims. The STP MaxLife is rated up to 15K (which a pretty decent), so no reason to run it to 20K.
OK-Zee, what is the STP XL rating IN MICRONS, and who exactly is making it now? It was Korea, now China, and why would I trust it over Fram, Napa/Wix, or even Purolator (Boss, not cellulose)?

OK-Zee, what is the STP XL rating IN MICRONS, and who exactly is making it now? It was Korea, now China, and why would I trust it over Fram, Napa/Wix, or even Purolator (Boss, not cellulose)?

All I'm saying is can you trust a US based company like STP to be honest about their products specifications, regardless of where their products are made?

I would think they have to follow all the regulations and laws of the FTC just like any other US based company. So if you like their specs, can you trust that they're telling the truth about their specs? Liking their specs is a separate debate.

All I'm saying is can you trust a US based company like STP to be honest about their products specifications, regardless of where their products are made?

I would think they have to follow all the regulations and laws of the FTC just like any other US based company. So if you like their specs, can you trust that they're telling the truth about their specs? Liking their specs is a separate debate.
It's not that I don't like them, I just don't know what they ARE! As far as who is selling them (for the most part), I could fill a book with experiences of their premature part failures, from Wells electronics, through multiple rebuilt part disasters (taking 3 alternators & testing them to find one good one)-AZ is pretty much bottom of the barrel, only eBay seems worse, depending on the seller.

I don't want to get into an argument about any of this, but I will tell you that if you believe that most of the companies are worried about FTC intervention when it comes to marketing...they're not.

STP is licensed by AZ for the filtration and oil products. They don't make anything.

The AZ lines are split up three ways. Champ, IDUSA and IPC are handling most of the product. So some of it will be US made and some of it will be wherever IPC (Ecogard) and IDUSA (Premium Guard) can get it manufactured...most likely China and Korea. That will be fluid though.

... The AZ lines are split up three ways. Champ, IDUSA and IPC are handling most of the product. So some of it will be US made and some of it will be wherever ...most likely China and Korea. That will be fluid though.
Only three ways? The STP cartridge filters in the local Autozone look very much like US-made Fram product and China-made Fram (Service Champ) products, depending on the price level.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Not in this area, and as far back as I can recall AZ STP Blue never a Wix made filter.

Here AZ STP blue have long been a Champ Labs made filter.

STP oil filters have been manufactured by Champion Laboratories long before the ecore design came out and before Autozone existed. The original SuperTech oil filters were a Champion Labs metal center tube and end cap design with separate ADBV & base end BPV (where required) same as that generation STP filters when they came out. At one point, Champ Labs was owned by STP (starting in 1970). Recently things have become much more scattered with regard to who manufacturers which model STP oil filter marketed in which region of the US.

....STP is licensed by AZ for the filtration and oil products. They don't make anything..

At least as far as the filters go, I sort of figured this. 'Afaik', the only place that STP filters (oil, air) are currently sold is AZ. So seemed AZ has some kind of rights the STP name. Also notice STP oil filters,(and I'd imagine air too) say something like made for "Best Products" which is an AZ products name thing. Not as familiar with the STP oil side, but that too seems logical.

As for the STP blue construction (and Super Tech), I don't doubt that before the introduction of the ecore by Champ Labs, that they were all Champ made classic metal endcap construction with separate bypass. Personally only remember them as the current majority ecore interspersed line mostly because of the earlier ST line. Haven't used either STP Blue or ST OFs very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back