Paging the Oil Filter Experts!

I use Mann filters in European cars, VW and Mercedes and they are the best looking filters, same as Mahle and Hengst.

I really don't know what happened with Wix and Purolator. Unless 'Mann Filter' is a different company than 'Mann & Hummel', but I haven't looked into it.
Mann + Hummel own's Purolator & Mann.
Very good discussion and that is what this is all about.

I was replying to another members comment about MH quality not being as good based on his experience. I think you hit the nail on the head that the specific vehicle application can determine the quality. Is this 100 for certain, probably not. I can tell you that I noticed the filters not being as good on different american models but on the Jaguars and Land Rovers they look exactly like they always have. I think the real issues came into play when Wix and Purolater became part of the Mann business - they no doubt consolidated filter types and manufacturing to save money. So where you my have gotten an original M&H filter from Germany in the past, now you get random rebadged Purolater or Wix in it's place and that is were the issue, I think, comes into play. Just say the filter production was watered down by making common styles the same across the 3 divisions. I might be wrong but that is what I think happened and why, on BITOG, you will see references to the Mann filters not being as highly regarded as they once were.
The Purolator filter is actually a Mann filter in the box for my Volvo. AND it's the OEM filter for the Volvo. I see this as an excellent offering from Purolator. :p

I disagree with some assertions that Purolator filters are "Not Good". :LOL:
It's usually best to decide for yourself & cut up the filter to see what quality it has.
I doubt the filters you're buying are counterfeit but Amazon does have a good return policy so there's no issue in some rare event.
The Ecogard should be a good quality filter but again... cut it open to find out.
The two Purolator's I got for my Corvette came from eBay... one in a box the other wrapped in bubble wrap.
It's just a shame seeing once popular names disappearing in place of no-name products.

Back