Those with 150,000 miles or more, check in

quote:

Originally posted by Oil Monkey:
My 1987 Volvo 240 with the venerable "red block" 4 cylinder B230F engine has about 484,000km on the odometer. Oil history is as follows:
1st year - oil changes ever 2500km with Castrol GTX 5W30 or 10W30 depending upon season with Volvo (Mann) filter
Year 2, 3, 4, 5 - oil changes every 5000km with Castol GTX and Volvo filters.
Years 6-10 Castol Syntec 5 or 10W30 every 7500km with Volvo filters
Years 10-15 Castrol Syntec 5W50 with Volvo filters. OCI at 10,000km. Consumption increasing to .75litres per 10,000km
Years 16 to present Mobil 1 Supersyn 10W30 with Volvo filters - we will see how it goes.....
(1km = ~.62 miles)

We have a 93 940 with the same engine..32,000 miles, and he are running Mobil 1 10W30.

quote:

Originally posted by Oil Monkey:
My 1987 Volvo 240 with the venerable "red block" 4 cylinder B230F engine has about 484,000km on the odometer.

Very nice! Where is Freelton Ontario anyhow? I've never heard of it.

Hey, Happy Chinese New Year, it's the year of the Oil Monkey!
smile.gif

97 F150, 5.4L, 4x4, 180K miles

First 100K miles done personally, 3K OCI w/ Castrol GTX 5W30 & MotorCraft Filters.

Last 80K miles done at quickchange, 5K OCI w/ reg. Mobil 5W30 (Winter), 10W30 summer w/ whatever filter they are using.

Burning 1/2 qt. oil every 5K miles.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

quote:

Even though we've seen evidence that a car doing regular oil changes on dino can get long life, I still think a synthetic oil fed engine will maintain it's original condition better. For instance, at 250k on dino oil, that engine might be quite tired, making less power, putting out more emmissions and getting lower MPG. But the synthetic fed engine will still be making good power, getting good emissions tests, and acheiving good MPG.

WHY?!?! We have seen over and over again through UOA's that dinos provide wear numbers equal to a syn oil when the dino is kept to a short drain interval. I see no reason why a dino engine would run worse that a syn engine at 250k miles, provided the OCI for the dino engine is ~3-4000 miles.

Wear numbers don't always tell the whole tale though.

Picture this scenario. You have two identical engines both running the same type of driving conditions and one runs synthetics, one runs dino. Both show equal wear numbers in UOA throughout their entire lives. But the dino oil is leaving behind a tiny bit more of a mess with each oil change, even if you're doing oil changes every 3k. Popping the valve cover and seeing a clean upper section doesn't always tell the whole tale either, since you can't see the rings obviously.

So because the dino oil left behind a bit more of a mess, it's performance is going to suffer in the long run.

I'm not saying this is 100% true in all cases, but it is much more likely to happen. Why do you think so many people see such an improvement when they use Auto-rx? If the engines were perfectly clean, then Auto-rx would have nothing to clean, and people wouldn't see any improvements. But yet a lot of people on here who use dino oil have reported improvements with RX, even those who change their oil frequently.

'87 F250 460 with a carb(!), 175K+, 3,000 OCI & 10W-30 Chevron Supreme, about 600 miles into Auto-Rx 1st application

'73 450SE, 270K+, right in the middle of the 1st Auto-Rx rinse application, using Chevron Supreme 10W-40, typically will use a dino HDD 15W-40 @ 3,000 OCI

'91 420SEL, 140K (cheating, eh?) & Auto-Rx'ed twice, using Pennzoil LongLife 15W-40 @ 5,000 OCI

'92 Subaru SVX, 108K+, twice Auto-Rx'ed, 10W-30 Chevron Supreme @ 3,000 OCI

cheers.gif

quote:

So because the dino oil left behind a bit more of a mess, it's performance is going to suffer in the long run.

Synthetic oil can leave deposits as well (although dino likely leaves more). I'll postualte that frequent (~4k) dino changes and the occasional Auto-Rx treatment will go a long way in keeping the performance at synthetic levels.

Based on wear numbers, I do not think synthetic offers any tremendous advantage, unless you are looking for long drain intervals. This is particularly true for "old school" engines like the 5.0 Ford and LT1. I've seen too many Chevy 350's running strong after 150k miles to think that a dino will not work well over the long haul (and I am talking about engines built when SF oil was "state-of-the-art"). Just my opinion though.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Synthetic oil can leave deposits as well (although dino likely leaves more). I'll postualte that frequent (~4k) dino changes and the occasional Auto-Rx treatment will go a long way in keeping the performance at synthetic levels.

Ah, that's a good point that I overlooked! Someone who runs dino oil could always just do an Auto-rx treatment every year or two in order to rejuvinate the life of their engine! Or run the 3oz maintenance doses with their dino oil to keep things clean.

But when all is said and done, some people just sleep better at night knowing they've got synthetics in there, especially people like me who love to put the pedal to the metal!
burnout.gif

No offense, but we've seen that Mobil 1 doesn't always leave a perfectly clean engine as well. People have posted pics with Mobil 1 varnish. Also, I've seen on a Nissan message board, a torn down sr20de that ran Mobil 1 at 5,000 mile intervals, and it had just as much varnish/light buildup as any other motor I've seen or taken apart. It also had a very common symptom of Nissan sr20s, clogged up oil return ports from the cylinder head.
dunno.gif
I saw the lifter valley in my Dad's Blazer when it was opend up for the intake gaskets to be fixed, and it was basically spotless/no sludge with 3,000 mile pennzoil changes. This at 130,000 miles on the clock. Also, the oil return ports on the top of the heads were clean as a whistle. I couldn't exactly see any pressure galleys, but I'm sure they would be cleaner than any other part of the engine as they constantly have fresh oil going through them.
dunno.gif

quote:

Even though we've seen evidence that a car doing regular oil changes on dino can get long life, I still think a synthetic oil fed engine will maintain it's original condition better. For instance, at 250k on dino oil, that engine might be quite tired, making less power, putting out more emmissions and getting lower MPG. But the synthetic fed engine will still be making good power, getting good emissions tests, and acheiving good MPG.

WHY?!?! We have seen over and over again through UOA's that dinos provide wear numbers equal to a syn oil when the dino is kept to a short drain interval. I see no reason why a dino engine would run worse that a syn engine at 250k miles, provided the OCI for the dino engine is ~3-4000 miles.

Wifes 1990 4Runner 3.0L 6cyl
160,000+ miles on whatever decent on sale stuff.
Right now runnin the free Valvoline MaxLife.

89 Chevy Celebrity, 172k miles, Iron Duke 2.5 4 cyl. Started life as a govt vehicle, heavy duty everything but brakes. Started on dino, moved to synthetics from 65k to 155k, now back on dino. Typically uses cheap oils, Group III synthetics like Quaker State (Kmart sold me a couple cases at dino prices) and Wallyworld. Now back on cheap dino's like closeout Target Havoline and Kmart motovator, and Wallyworld S-tech. Still holding together, have lifter noise and pre-detonation pinging.

quote:

I immediately drained the oil and filled it back up with Delo 400 15w-40 and a SuperTech filter. Car now runs smoother, engine is much cleaner, fuel economy is just as good, and oil consumption is next to nothing in comparison to what it was before...even in sub-freezing (15F) temperatures, the car started just fine with no "funny" noises.

Yeah, I've BEEN running 15-40 in it. Pennzoil long life or Castrol GTX (depending on what's available).

The real problem I think is the rear main seal. I mean, hell, the thing is up to a quart every 200 miles now!

My mother also has a 98 V70 cross country with the 2.4, but turbo'd. It's almost as bad as my girlfriend's car. No matter what oil I use in it, it always builds up a rust colored sludge on the dip stick, the oil cap, and all over the valvetrain thats visible through the filler hole. It's kind of chaulky in consistency, and will wipe away with a rag.

I'm scared to even do a UOA on that car, who know's what I may find!

Well then...you've been running 15w-40 in it with the MA temperatures???? A 5w-40 at max my friend!

I must say that every vehicle I've ran 15w-40 that had a dirty engine definitely showed a great deal of improvement after a short period of time.

If your moms car keeps building up a sludge/varnish, then something is not right...a 15w-40/5w-40 HDEO or even regular synthetic oil will not allow this to happen.

Considering you're in MA, If I were you, I'd run Rotella-T 5w-40 in both of these vehicles...unless their is something else going on with these vehicles that you're not telling us (or just don't know about), Rotella will keep any new sludge/varnish from forming while "cleaning" up what is already there.

And get that main seal fixed.
grin.gif

quote:

Well then...you've been running 15w-40 in it with the MA temperatures???? A 5w-40 at max my friend!

Really, it doesn't usually get below freezing even during the winter on Cape Cod. This winter has been quite different, so I filled her up with Pennzoil 5-30 last time around. But, yeah, 15-40 most of the time.

Where can I find some 5-40? I've searched everywhere, and have yet to see that weight in any brand. None of the autoparts places, K-Mart, Walmart. The only place left is the John Deere tractor supply place!

quote:

Originally posted by css9450:

quote:

Originally posted by Sumerduckman:
The much trashed 3.1 v6 ran great, did not use a drop of oil between changes, got 25-27 mpg avg, and was one of the cheapest overall cars in terms of total cost I have ever owned.

The 3.1 MPFI engine is great, simple but reliable.

I have a 1991 Chevy Beretta, 3.1, automatic, bought new in 1991. Currently at 313,000 miles. Has seen Pennzoil 5W30 or 10W30 EXCLUSIVELY its entire life, changed at 3000 miles (alright, a few 4000s in there too). Never been into the engine beyond the valve covers, but when I did replace the valve cover gaskets recently, I was pleased to see the cylinder heads, rocker arms, springs, etc, were clean.

Also I recently bought a 1988 Pontiac Fiero, and have changed the oil twice (again with Pennzoil) in the 1500 or so miles I've had it. Only has 91,000 on it now. The Beretta is the daily driver.

Did your transmission break within those 300k some miles??

Geek,

Search your local Wal-Mart's...better yet, call them up before hand, and see if they have Shell Rotella-T 5w-40 (all "Super" Wal-Mart's I've ever been too carry this oil). At current, I believe it's going for $12/gallon.

Guy at work said a neighbor had a Honda Accord with 240K miles on it. Dino oil changed every 7k miles.
burnout.gif

[ February 02, 2004, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Last-Z, I do not think anyone on this site would ever tel you that you need synthetic to get long life from your vechile. Synthetic makes it easier to do under some conditions. Synthetics are much better at handleing the 7500-15,000 mile or longer drain intervals recomend by some OEM's.

JB,
I NEVER said one HAD to run synthetics to get long engine life. In fact, I said exactly the opposite.

Posted by myself (Last_Z)
quote:

One more thing.....looking at these posts makes you wonder if synthetic oil is really needed in many of our vehicles. Maybe the synthetic makers are hyping and scaring people to sell the more expensive stuff?

Anyway, I hope after reading this thread you are finally convinced that American engines do last well past 150k miles with regular maintenance and regular fluids......instead of it being just a fluke like you stated somewhere on this board.

quote:

.... that American engines do last well past 150k miles with regular maintenance and regular fluids......instead of it being just a fluke like you stated somewhere on this board. [/QB]

I agree that American engines last longer than 150k miles. My parents although now own Japenese (90 Toyota 4runner & Subaru Forester) in the past have owned the following that were maintained:

1988 Chevy Suburban 3/4 Ton 4wd - rotted out in 2000 with 198k on clock, never any major mechanical work transmission or engine. average 5000 mile oil change interval on dino

1985 AMC Eagle AWD - Sold with 202,000 miles on clock, motor never had internal work, just transfer case (oil never changed, missed) for $100 due to broken gear. 7500 mile oil change interval on dino prescribed by manual

1989 Buick Century 4cyl - Company car made it to 160k in two years, my father (salesman) missed a few oil change times and some intervals stretched 15k-20k on dino! Motor was replaced and car given to another person at company.

1996 Honda Civic 16Y7, 155K miles. Every 6K miles w/5W30 Mobil 1 every change since break in oil was drained. Currently Mobil 1 filters, previously AC.

1977 Mercedes Benz 240D 250K miles, 1981 Mercedes Benz 300SD 180K miles. Both changed at 10K miles with Delvac1 with Hengst or Mann filter. Before Delvac1, Castrol 10W40.

Back