Thinking of switching auto insurance companies

Not checking insurance prices at least twice a year is like going to the same gas station year after year without looking at the price of gas that other stations are selling it for.

It’s ridiculous to think otherwise unless, of course the price you pay doesn’t matter to you.
Unless you factor in what your time is worth... Twice a year?

In your gas analogy kind of the equivalent of going out of your way to get cheaper gas... how far out of the way determines if it's actually a savings.

Unless you factor in what your time is worth... Twice a year?

In your gas analogy kind of the equivalent of going out of your way to get cheaper gas... how far out of the way determines if it's actually a savings.
What something is worth is up to the individual. I can certainly say, it takes me less time (one hour) to check multiple insurance company pricing than the amount of time I spend on BITOG in one day, never mind six months and why I say "worth" is up to the individual.
Saving money on services I enjoy, just like any business does.
It's worth it to some people to spend time watching a sports event, TV show or shopping. I vote shopping every time!

No, going out of your way to buy gas cost you money in gas and time. Spending my time on the computer I enjoy and doesnt cost me money because I am not going "out of" my way and its not one tank of gas, its a lifetime of saving for the same product.

Honestly I bet I check insurance more than twice a year, just like I spent the last 2 hours today, scouring the internet for best interest rates on savings account (which recently posted in here) I opened two new ones in the last week or so, in addition to my current high yield credit union in some state where I never even saw the building and the two new ones I never saw the buildings either!
I could care less who the companies are that provide me services, price rules, these companies do nothing for my quality or enjoyment of life, except to get the best price from them. ;)

Last edited:
We ended up meeting with American Family. Same coverage and free glass repair for about $400-500/year less and house will roughly save about $100/year. Pretty decent.

All good points but I'm not dealing with someone I don't know anything about. Yes I haven't had State Farm but supposedly they are the #2 insurer in the US so I hope that they can at least get it right. I have always heard good things about them, not so much about their prices but seems to be at least more in line with the other companies now.
State Farm is the #1 Auto Insurer in both terms of premiums written and policies in force in the US..

Why think about changing insurance companies?
Just do it and dont bundle.
Get separate quotes on the cars, separate on the bike and separate on the home. Easy to do online, low price wins, you're all set.
Who cares what company?
Unless you are a person who will only buy one brand of gasoline no matter the cost.

My insurance went up 8% for the next 6 mos. NEVER had a claim, and the cars are getting older. Call me a dummy, $100 comp and $500 collision 100/300/100, 2006, 2007, 2011 cars.

I've found that I have NEVER gotten a lower quote shopping around on my own.

Where I have saved $500+ annually is when some unknown agent emails me and they already have the vehicle and driver info.

And I've concluded it's not a $500+ savings, it means I was overcharged $500+ at the old co.

Just to add some context: My 2007 BMW 335i cost about $590 for full coverage per 12 mos., brand new. today? It's over $650 16 years later. All that wasted money, ouch.

I didn't learn from my dad, he never had anything but liability even on brand new cars. My employer has a fleet and they self-insure. Why are the rest of us so dang scared

Now, imagine how we are totally ripped off on health insurance from being risk averse.
:ROFLMAO:

My insurance went up 8% for the next 6 mos. NEVER had a claim, and the cars are getting older. Call me a dummy, $100 comp and $500 collision 100/300/100, 2006, 2007, 2011 cars.

Where I have saved $500+ annually is when some unknown agent emails me and they already have the vehicle and driver info.

And I've concluded it's not a $500+ savings, it means I was overcharged $500+ at the old co.

Just to add some context: My 2007 BMW 335i cost about $590 for full coverage per 12 mos., brand new. today? It's over $650 16 years later. All that wasted money, ouch.

I didn't learn from my dad, he never had anything but liability even on brand new cars. My employer has a fleet and they self-insure. Why are the rest of us so dang scared

Now, imagine how we are totally ripped off on health insurance from being risk averse.
The same happened to me when I switched back to Progressive, when dealing directly with them they will only write 6 month policies in my area and they went up every single time except for once, they are cheaper on my cars but then State Farm was cheaper on my truck, I guess I could switch the cars back over but I'd have to see if the savings is really worth it or not. I get dealing with multiple companies especially if you have an older classic but I would think that it could potentially complicate things. Once I switch the motorcycle over in March it will offset the difference, State Farm came in about 50% lower than what Progressive has been charging me.

I just received my renewal from Progressive and they want $400 for the yr, State Farm was $197 for the exact same coverage on it.

Why think about changing insurance companies?
Just do it and dont bundle.
Get separate quotes on the cars, separate on the bike and separate on the home. Easy to do online, low price wins, you're all set.
Who cares what company?
Unless you are a person who will only buy one brand of gasoline no matter the cost.
This.

I was insured by Liberty Mutual for home & auto and realized the "rate creep" was out of hand. I went to a local independant agency who got me better coverage at about $1500 annual savings (oddly with a Liberty Mutual subsidiary, Safeco). That was about 5 years ago. Last fall, after getting tired of constant rate increases I ended up going with another company for homeowners and progressive (NO "snapshot) for auto.

I can't even imagine what my rates would be today if I'd blindly remained with LM.

This.

I was insured by Liberty Mutual for home & auto and realized the "rate creep" was out of hand. I went to a local independant agency who got me better coverage at about $1500 annual savings (oddly with a Liberty Mutual subsidiary, Safeco). That was about 5 years ago. Last fall, after getting tired of constant rate increases I ended up going with another company for homeowners and progressive (NO "snapshot) for auto.

I can't even imagine what my rates would be today if I'd blindly remained with LM.
The same with me, I was with Erie for many years when I owned a home but then kept my Auto with them for many years until I wised up and shopped around, Progressive came in under 1/2 of what Erie had been charging me.

Be aware of what impact not having all vehicles with one company can have on coverage. For instance newly acquired car coverage typically requires "all vehicles" be insured. Motorcycles don't typically see the definition of a vehicle under a car policy but if you have a truck one place and car another it could have an impact on coverage, read your policy.

The only way I would accept a tracker is if the insurance premium was 0. Why pay them to gather data on you and sell it to the highest bidder?

If google can make billions by it and still provide “free” services, you can bet your behind that whatever “discount” the insurance Corp gives you is just an insult when compared to what they can make off of your data.

Every year I go to a local independent insurance dealer and either keep or change both my home and auto policy... It is worth shopping around and the old wifes tale of staying with a company for years because you get better service if you need them is BULL... You can switch as often as you want with NO problems...

Be aware of what impact not having all vehicles with one company can have on coverage. For instance newly acquired car coverage typically requires "all vehicles" be insured. Motorcycles don't typically see the definition of a vehicle under a car policy but if you have a truck one place and car another it could have an impact on coverage, read your policy.
Correct that's basically what I was afraid of, also I've heard things about if you didn't have enough coverage that they can go after other members of the household, I see the same if I had another policy with a different insurer, when you're only using one then it really simplifies everything.

The only way I would accept a tracker is if the insurance premium was 0. Why pay them to gather data on you and sell it to the highest bidder?

If google can make billions by it and still provide “free” services, you can bet your behind that whatever “discount” the insurance Corp gives you is just an insult when compared to what they can make off of your data.
I just payed the bill from State Farm for when I cancelled the drive safe & save, they billed me $48.63 and I feel that it's not worth to save that much, granted the savings could've been more but you can't really put a price on your piece of mind.

I read online that if I would've kept it for at least a month I still would've received the 10% discount for it so that's probably what I just paid back to them.

John: The smart play is that every 4 to 5 years, re-price your insurance. USAA used to screw me by putting my rates up 6 or 7 percent each year, without me ever putting in a claim. Can you imagine what my premiums from USAA were after being a customer for 41 years? I switched to a new company with fantastic customer service, and my rates dropped 43 per cent for the exact same coverage.

When I switched my auto to Progressive, that was an option. I discussed it with the agent who switched my homeowner policy. I told her that while I have a clear driving record, I do exceed the speed limit occasionally (like most people). She said they mostly focus on hard-braking events. While I seldom have to panic stop, it's usually a reaction to another driver's bad decision - Idon't want to be evaluated because of them.

I just switched from State Farm to The Hartford. State Farm raised prices, no tickets, no accidents, no changes to anything. I moved the umbrella policy to them as well, and broke up the bundle I had with State Farm. No BS I saved a bit over $1,400/ year for identical coverage. That money was probably going to two star football quarterbacks, and a coach. I left the homeowner's policy with State Farm because even after breaking the bundle and losing the discount the price was competitive, and I don't want all my eggs in one basket again. Familiarity breeds contempt with insurance companies, and rates should be shopped every couple of years, or at each rate increase.

I just switched from State Farm to The Hartford. State Farm raised prices, no tickets, no accidents, no changes to anything. I moved the umbrella policy to them as well, and broke up the bundle I had with State Farm. No BS I saved a bit over $1,400/ year for identical coverage. That money was probably going to two star football quarterbacks, and a coach. I left the homeowner's policy with State Farm because even after breaking the bundle and losing the discount the price was competitive, and I don't want all my eggs in one basket again. Familiarity breeds contempt with insurance companies, and rates should be shopped every couple of years, or at each rate increase.
The funniest is when another State Farm agent sent me an email if I want a quote, and I asked in my reply, since I am currently a State Farm policy holder, do you guys compete against each other and undercut pricing. Yes, I would like a quote. Never heard back again.

Back