Thinking of switching auto insurance companies

I was thinking about switching from Progressive to State Farm but right now it doesn't seem all that it's cracked up to be. The quote I received on the vehicles is still higher than Progressive this time but the motorcycle they significantly reduced it around 44.5% less so it's almost 1/2 the cost and now looking at the end result for the year by switching to State Farm is an extra $10 if nothing else changes but right now all the insurers are constantly adjusting prices and raising rates across the board. I've been receiving emails about drive safe and save, she didn't tell me that they enrolled me in that but I am not a fan of being tracked and after researching it online it's gotten mixed results but can save up to 30% of your policy so even if I get 15% savings it would put me with what Progressive wants to renew this time. She sent the policy to me in email which really breaks it down, they are actually cheaper on my truck than Progressive but are way more expensive on the cars, It took me awhile to find that information with Progressive, online it just wanted to show me the current policy that I'm on now but I was able to find it in my email when then sent the renewal notice. I had them quote the exact same coverage/limits that I currently have, I've dealt with other companies who want to give you their lowest figures possible and it looks like you're saving a lot but in reality you don't have near the same coverage.

The new tracker they are using is bluetooth and has it's own battery, the older ones connected to the obd port. I'd have to leave bluetooth on all the time on my phone as well as location all the time, can't just select when the app is in use. I've read that you can supposedly still use the phone hands free but anything that uses the screen you get dinged for it such as gps nagivation, also supposedly you can drive something like 8 or 11 mph over the speed limit but then some were still getting dinged at 5 over when compared to their speedometer and a gps unit. I can help the fast starts but the stops you can't really control, it gets you for stepping on the brakes to hard and fast. I can tell this is not something that I am going to get along with or even like, I know I can cancel this feature and just not receive the extra discount. I read that the agents are more than willing to keep their customers happy but that most customers do like to save money which is why they try to give you all of their discounts up front.

The new tracker they are using is bluetooth and has it's own battery, the older ones connected to the obd port. I'd have to leave bluetooth on all the time on my phone as well as location all the time, can't just select when the app is in use. I've read that you can supposedly still use the phone hands free but anything that uses the screen you get dinged for it such as gps nagivation, also supposedly you can drive something like 8 or 11 mph over the speed limit but then some were still getting dinged at 5 over when compared to their speedometer and a gps unit.
Why not just leave the phone at home or use another phone while driving?

Esurance for our two cars
Progressive for our boat and motorcycle
Travelers for our home (which we just sold)

AS far as comments about particular costs in a forum its irrelevant as cost depends on area, credit history and a half dozen or more other factors and why some ins might be more expensive in one area and less in another.
MANY years ago we did the progressive thing, plugged their device into our cars and found it a marketing gimmick, much better rates elsewhere for us without the device. I could care less about tracking, at least at the time, you only left it plugged into your car for a limited time.

However this does pertain to anyone. You should shop around every year or even multiple times a year for best price, cost nothing to switch at any time of the year, you current company will refund the difference if you cancel your existing policy early.

When switching companies for a better price it should be a thoughtless simple transaction, no different than choosing which gas station to pull into because of price. It's just insurance and your company doesnt love you, they love your payments.

We switch companies as many times as we find a better price, could care less how many times a year. WIth that said, the companies mentioned above by me I have had for a couple years now, for the first time I cant find a better price and I used to switch, for instance my home insurance company at least 6 times over 16 years and car/motorcycle insurance WAY MORE times than that.

Last edited:
Why not just leave the phone at home or use another phone while driving?
Actually I have thought about this, I still have my old phone that I could install the app onto. Supposedly you also have to input the mileage at certain intervals and I haven't read anything if you turn off your phone to not use it and if the mileage doesn't add up, ie: more miles driven than what's being reported.

Esurance for our two cars
Progressive for our boat and motorcycle
Travelers for our home (which we just sold)

AS far as comments about particular costs in a forum its irrelevant as cost depends on area, credit history and a half dozen or more other factors and why some ins might be more expensive in one area and less in another.
MANY years ago we did the progressive thing, plugged their device into our cars and found it a marketing gimmick, much better rates elsewhere for us without the device. I could care less about tracking, at least at the time, you only left it plugged into your car for a limited time.

However this does pertain to anyone. You should shop around every year or even multiple times a year for best price, cost nothing to switch at any time of the year, you current company will refund the difference if you cancel your existing policy early.
Yes shopping around is a good thing, I told her I was actually quite impressed that I've received quotes from State Farm before and they were always sky high, not even in the same ballpark or world for that matter but their pricing is still a bit on the high side but now it's almost within reason. We tried over the summer but I had already renewed with Progressive and predicted another price increase which I was correct so I tried again to see what they would do. For the vehicles Progressive wants $451 for 6 month policy, the bike is $355 yr, State Farm is $535 6 months but $197 for the other. When I switched back to Progressive in Dec. 2019 they wanted $313 for the vehicles, but then went to $335, $331, $355, up to $404 but chatted with them and dropped down to $390 and now they want $451... same vehicles, coverage, etc... no tickets or accidents.

I've had State Farm since I began driving 56 years ago. No complaints. I'm also on Drive Safe and Save. No complaints there either and I wish I had enrolled earlier.

I've had State Farm since I began driving 56 years ago. No complaints. I'm also on Drive Safe and Save. No complaints there either and I wish I had enrolled earlier.
Thanks, most of the reviews I've read or videos I've watched on YouTube have been mixed, some do and some don't. I've never dealt with State Farm but evidently one of the largest insurers in the country, no. 2 from what I've read.

My son had e insurance and had a claim and it was a real nightmare. They speced a Chinese bumper-the body shop told them the quality was terrible and they said to use it anyway. A few weeks after picking up the car-the bumper fell off as the body shop stated it would. They got a better bumper. If you have a house, any assets in the bank-using Internet Insurance is a real risk. Unlike motor oil-when it comes to insurance-I DON'T WANT THE CHEAPEST.

When I get quotes I make it quite clear to my agent I want nothing to do with any "black boxes" that watch how I drive.

Shop around. As a matter of fact, find a good independent agent or broker, that can give you an array of quotes.
I convinced my FIL to get quotes.
They had been with the same agency (and insurance companies) since the early 60's.
He now has better coverage, for his home and auto than he did before, at over a 2K savings per year.

Actually I have thought about this, I still have my old phone that I could install the app onto. Supposedly you also have to input the mileage at certain intervals and I haven't read anything if you turn off your phone to not use it and if the mileage doesn't add up, ie: more miles driven than what's being reported.
As a Drive Safe and Save user, I have been advised to stayed logged into the iPhone app at all times. Furthermore, they recommend I log out and back in once a month. I report mileage twice a year and no one else drives the car. I think reported mileage has to agree with mileage accumulated in the app +/- a little error. There was a time early on when the app didn't record trips. I called in and promptly received help to resolve.

My son had e insurance and had a claim and it was a real nightmare. They speced a Chinese bumper-the body shop told them the quality was terrible and they said to use it anyway. A few weeks after picking up the car-the bumper fell off as the body shop stated it would. They got a better bumper. If you have a house, any assets in the bank-using Internet Insurance is a real risk. Unlike motor oil-when it comes to insurance-I DON'T WANT THE CHEAPEST.

When I get quotes I make it quite clear to my agent I want nothing to do with any "black boxes" that watch how I drive.
There are negative reports on any insurance company in the nation (just do a search on your company) and stories void of complete information. All these companies are HUGE and hundreds of thousands or millions of customers.
They way I read your story is your sons shop was incompetent.

I carry insurance as a safety net, I never need to use it.
BTW - esurance is an Allstate insurance company.

Yes if she would've asked me on the frontend about drive safe and save I would've turned it down, also this agent is not really in my immediate area but they are about 45 min to an hour away from my house.

Yes shopping around is a good thing, I told her I was actually quite impressed that I've received quotes from State Farm before and they were always sky high, not even in the same ballpark or world for that matter but their pricing is still a bit on the high side but now it's almost within reason. We tried over the summer but I had already renewed with Progressive and predicted another price increase which I was correct so I tried again to see what they would do. For the vehicles Progressive wants $451 for 6 month policy, the bike is $355 yr, State Farm is $535 6 months but $197 for the other. When I switched back to Progressive in Dec. 2019 they wanted $313 for the vehicles, but then went to $335, $331, $355, up to $404 but chatted with them and dropped down to $390 and now they want $451... same vehicles, coverage, etc... no tickets or accidents.
Those quotes for auto policies for 6 mos you got..... are those for one driver?

As a Drive Safe and Save user, I have been advised to stayed logged into the iPhone app at all times. Furthermore, they recommend I log out and back in once a month. I report mileage twice a year and no one else drives the car. I think reported mileage has to agree with mileage accumulated in the app +/- a little error. There was a time early on when the app didn't record trips. I called in and promptly received help to resolve.
Yes I've read posts where they first started using it, out of 5 trips it recorded maybe 2 of them, I didn't see anything on what was done to help resolve it other than changing the apps battery settings.

If you have a house, any assets in the bank-using Internet Insurance is a real risk.
Insurance is insanely well regulated, and a commodity. I hope my insurance company gives anyone trying to claim liability against me the hardest time allowable by law. They should learn to drive better and stay out of my way.

PS just flip flopped from Geico to Progressive. Might go back later, but for now Geico tried slipping a giant rate hike through.

You should find an independent agent and have them shop for you. Make sure they match your current coverage and not play games - just tell them you expect the same coverage. They might have minor differences they point out because each company does things different, but they should be pointing that out.

You can also get a quote from Geico or Esurance online very easily now days. You likely should be checking rates every year anyway - things change - company to company and location to location.

I won't be tracked if there are any options left not to be, but thats me. Yes I realize that govco and my cell provider are tracking me anyway, and everything I type on the internet is stored, but doesn't mean I need to make it easy for them.

Back