Thinking of buying this Cadet mower. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cub Cadet XT2 LX46"

Hey everyone! I am thinking about buying this mower. Does anyone have any thoughts that can help me with my decision? I am at the $2000 price point in my budget and am looking for something that will last me many years. The XT series, when it was upgraded from the previous series of mowers, was supposed to be a real boon for the product line. They supposedly fixed a lot of what was missing/ wrong and there are a lot of good reports/ reviews on the internet concerning this line.
Yet, nothing compares to real world experience/ knowledge. Would anyone have feedback for me?
I would be purchasing from a dealership that is right down the street from me. This makes repairs and supplies handy and available. Any reasons to think twice? (They also have a fuel injected version with a smaller deck for the same price.)
Thanks Bitogers!

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
What will you being doing with it?
How much are you mowing/terrain?

Great questions. Thanks
I mow a quarter of an acre in a residential neighborhood on mostly flat terrain. Slope toward the back of the yard but it's a small area. I won't be hauling, pulling, or snow removal. Just basic cutting/ mulching. I am a bigger guy, but the mower I currently own is a 20 hp and seems to haul my rear around just fine....

Last edited:
I don't care for single cyl engines over ~20hp, but it's been some years since I've worked on one or followed them in general. This rider does have a Tufftorq K46 which is a great thing. They're "sealed" but you can drain and fill them with some work. I don't know much about this 46" deck, but keep it set so it doesn't bang around on the ground when mowing and it will last. The other key to longevity is keep it stored out of the weather, quick scrape the underside of the deck and blow the whole thing off with a leaf blower after use.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't care for single cyl engines over ~20hp, but it's been some years since I've worked on one or followed them in general. This rider does have a Tufftorq K46 which is a great thing. They're "sealed" but you can drain and fill them with some work. I don't know much about this 46" deck, but keep it set so it doesn't bang around on the ground when mowing and it will last. The other key to longevity is keep it stored out of the weather, quick scrape the underside of the deck and blow the whole thing off with a leaf blower after use.

Would I be better off with their fuel injected motor? Same price point but smaller deck. Still a single cylinder 547cc. Thanks

Last edited:
At 1/4 acre, the smaller deck will be plenty: https://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stor..._DECK_SIZE.html

I immensely prefer EFI; here's some addtional info on that engine: http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcad..._injection.html

I like that engine as well. I thought they might be more expensive to repair, and more prone to needing repair since they are new? so I wrote them off. Thanks for the links. I didn't realize what a small difference there was between a 42" deck and a 46" in terms of time it takes to mow. So no issues with the MTD made Cadet? As good as any I will get at that price point?

Last edited:
Speaking as a Cub Cadet owner...

MTD makes mowers, Husqvarna makes mowers, and John Deere makes mowers. Buying a Cub Cadet is the most expensive way to procure an MTD mower.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Speaking as a Cub Cadet owner...

MTD makes mowers, Husqvarna makes mowers, and John Deere makes mowers. Buying a Cub Cadet is the most expensive way to procure an MTD mower.

So youre saying they are equal? I'm lost.

Is a nice push/self propelled out of the question? A tractor seems like a bit much for 1/4 of an acre no?

If it has to be a rider, I'd go with the fuel injected smaller deck.

Based on my experience with my Cub cadet push mower I would never buy another CC product. Poorly engineered, consumes cables and wheels (expensive replacements) on a regular basis. Good friend bought a rider a few years back and had similar issues.

This is strictly a non scientific personal observation. Worth what you paid for it.

I wouldn't lump the whole Cub Cadet product line in the same junk heap, but it is true that they are a MTD product with a different color scheme. The exception is their XT3 line of riders that is like the 2000 and 3000 series garden tractors of years past. Thing is, they're priced right out of the market these days. When I bought my 2005 model year GT2544 new in 2005, it was $2000. My next 'premium residential' Cub was my 2010 model year Z-Force 44 with a fabricated 44" deck and Hydrogear ZT2800 serviceable drives that was $2700 new. No way I'd pay the current Cub prices. I'd go with John Deere for that price range, or price out some Husqvara group built riders. Based on my experience wrenching on lower dollar stuff, Husqvarna group machines are a step up from MTD.

Another option is checked out used stuff at local OPE dealers. $2000 might buy you a super nice commercial walk-behind mower or a nice used rider someone traded in.

Last edited:
Thats a good mower. Interchangeable easy to find parts. Runs on 5w30. Nothing wrong with MTD. I had a 5hp 30" MTD track snowblower that would save the neighbors Areins, Toro, craftsman snowblowers stalled and plugged in drifts. And hey, if its junk in a few years so what it was cheap just buy another..

Think they went to China engines on walk behind - but when I grab the hood at TSC the lawn tractors are Kohler ...

Originally Posted By: 2civics
I like that engine as well. I thought they might be more expensive to repair, and more prone to needing repair since they are new? so I wrote them off. Thanks for the links. I didn't realize what a small difference there was between a 42" deck and a 46" in terms of time it takes to mow. So no issues with the MTD made Cadet? As good as any I will get at that price point?

In the context of what you're doing, it's a fine choice; should be able to get it for $1,750 out the door. Of course if you go to the used market, $2k will buy a lot more mower. You didn't mention this though, so I didn't bring it up...nor do you need more.

Couple thoughts...

Old(er) EFI setups could be archaic in design/implementation, and problematic in operation. That's not a concern with this model.

Many guys have been burned by/had problems with a particular brand, or just prefer something else. I'd advise you to listen, but be aware when they're making sweeping generalizations and not referring to this specific model.

Originally Posted By: 2civics

In the context of what you're doing, it's a fine choice; should be able to get it for $1,750 out the door. Of course if you go to the used market, $2k will buy a lot more mower. You didn't mention this though, so I didn't bring it up...nor do you need more.

Couple thoughts...

Old(er) EFI setups could be archaic in design/implementation, and problematic in operation. That's not a concern with this model.

Many guys have been burned by/had problems with a particular brand, or just prefer something else. I'd advise you to listen, but be aware when they're making sweeping generalizations and not referring to this specific model.

Didn't think about trying to talk them down some. Hmmm... interesting.
Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

In my opinion, the real key is having a quality dealer network available. In our area, the Deere dealer has most common parts available for my 40+ year old John Deere 210, as well as my 757. What they don't have they can get in a matter of hours. When I replaced a head gasket on my 757 they had everything except the head (I wanted to replace it too). They had their delivery truck from a Deere dealer about 30 miles away drop the new head off at my house about 3 hours later.

While I always do my own work, if I didn't I would not have any issue with them working on any of my equipment; their prices are reasonable (with free pickup and delivery). Having a dealer you can trust is at least as important as the brand name on the hood.

If you trust the Cub dealer near you and there are no other options then I would take their advice. If you don't trust them, find another brand/dealer to work with.

For that size area, i would seriously look at a toro timecutter SS4200. It will cut way faster than the cub cadet and with less trimmng necessary. I used a tractor type for years and now i have an SS5000. I've used it the last 4 or 5 years with no problems. Mine has the Kawasaki engine. I won't go back to a tractor type. Uses less fuel and is faster even with a smaller deck. The 42inch will fit in a storage building easier.

The only issue , is how much slope you have in the back. Some slope is fine, 15 degress is the max.

4392cce7-8008-4e89-85a2-b3d5ab6a87fb_300.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back