Thinking about pulling the trigger on this 02 E46 M3....

Update: E46 M3 has dropped another $320. Went from $23,895 to $23,575.

Originally it was listed at $23,995

Only been on the market for 11 days

The joy of high end European cars.
My thought has always been that Audi-BMW and Mercedes among some others were always marketed to affluent drivers that would trade them in before the warranty expired.
Leaving the less affluent used car buyer to deal with the expensive repairs.
High-end? Try any. Uncle's 15 A3 just needed about $12K worth of work at 100K miles. Some of it was deferred maintenance and tires, but it is definitely not a cheap commuter to maintain.

High-end? Try any. Uncle's 15 A3 just needed about $12K worth of work at 100K miles. Some of it was deferred maintenance and tires, but it is definitely not a cheap commuter to maintain.
Wow $12k worth thats insane I work on these with this mileage on every day a I’ve never seen one need that much spent on it that’s some going. Was a major component involved?

Wow $12k worth thats insane I work on these with this mileage on every day a I’ve never seen one need that much spent on it that’s some going. Was a major component involved?
Local dealer is at $220-$240/hr depending on the item.

Front pads and rotors
Major service (lof, plugs, cabin filter and wipers)
DSG fluid and filter
Replace Bevel Gear Fluid
Replace Rear Diff Fluid
Brake Fluid Flush
Haldex Service (w/cleaning the screen)
Replace water pump and thermostat assembly
Alternator (bearing was very noisy)
Rear shocks (leaking badly)
Walnut Blast to clean Intake Valves
Replace one fuel injector (several weeks after the walnut blast)
Cam Cradle/Cover Reseal with new oil separator
Trunk Wiring Harness, left-side
Two HVAC motors
4 tires and alignment

Local dealer is at $220-$240/hr depending on the item.

Front pads and rotors
Major service (lof, plugs, cabin filter and wipers)
DSG fluid and filter
Replace Bevel Gear Fluid
Replace Rear Diff Fluid
Brake Fluid Flush
Haldex Service (w/cleaning the screen)
Replace water pump and thermostat assembly
Alternator (bearing was very noisy)
Rear shocks (leaking badly)
Walnut Blast to clean Intake Valves
Replace one fuel injector (several weeks after the walnut blast)
Cam Cradle/Cover Reseal with new oil separator
Trunk Wiring Harness, left-side
Two HVAC motors
4 tires and alignment
Well I guess a labour rate like that will bring prices like that. Did they not get advised to do all 4 injectors at once? I find once one starts playing up the other aren’t far behind.

Well I guess a labour rate like that will bring prices like that. Did they not get advised to do all 4 injectors at once? I find once one starts playing up the other aren’t far behind.
Suppliers only had 2 available, so I only replaced the bad one.

I never cared for the steering on the E39 M5, or any V8 E39 for that matter. I like the drive of the E60 better, as well as the V10.
Just a fyi. From what I've read the V8 took up so much room that BMW was forced to employ a steering system which differed from that used with the I6.

Just a fyi. From what I've read the V8 took up so much room that BMW was forced to employ a steering system which differed from that used with the I6.
every midsize and up bmw until the e39 used a box. the 6 cylinder rack was really not that good. it’s been used as a coping mechanism for people who couldn’t afford the v8 and will be until the end of time. the m5 had speed sensitive box and when you pressed the sport button there was no comparison

anyways the e60 chassis is just lightyears ahead in every department. combined with the peppy v10 and a stick shift and it’s one the best cars bmw ever made

Update: E46 M3 has dropped another $320. Went from $23,895 to $23,575.

Originally it was listed at $23,995

Only been on the market for 11 days
I really do not want to be mean or whatever, but based on your previous posts, stick to E90 328. If you want something like that, get Lexus IS-F. It is definitely not M3 dynamic wise, but it is reliable and easier to live with and it is still exotic.

every midsize and up bmw until the e39 used a box. the 6 cylinder rack was really not that good. it’s been used as a coping mechanism for people who couldn’t afford the v8 and will be until the end of time. the m5 had speed sensitive box and when you pressed the sport button there was no comparison

anyways the e60 chassis is just lightyears ahead in every department. combined with the peppy v10 and a stick shift and it’s one the best cars bmw ever made
V10 was an engineering marvel.

On my old E34/M60 the brake system had such a change. The booster and master cylinder was way up front near the headlamps and there was a pushrod assembly back to the firewall.

Back