Thinking of trading in the Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Base 2.0 Civic, nice white one with a nose mask, rear spoiler, splash guards and a 6-stick...40mpg, huge resale any mileage.

Like Nick1994 has opined, if you throw a Camry Hybrid, Accord Hybrid or even a Prius into the mix, i'd definitely consider those as well.

The diesel will get it's best mpg on hwy drives while the hybrids excel in city driving.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid, 9,900 miles $21,000
Link

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid 15,000 miles $21,500
Link

Why so much difference between the two ?

Camry is 1 year newer with 5k miles less and $500 cheaper.

Of the two I take Camry !

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid, 9,900 miles $21,000
Link

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid 15,000 miles $21,500
Link

Why so much difference between the two ?

Camry is 1 year newer with 5k miles less and $500 cheaper.

Of the two I take Camry !
Hondas almost always cost more than Toyotas

I don't know the price of hybrids but base Camry and Accord are about the same, the difference is probably no more than few hundreds.

Went to the VW dealer yesterday. They offered the Golf TDI S DSG to us at around $20,000 OTD. This price also includes the remaining balance on our loan on the FXT of $1,120 since we were offered by the dealer $22,000 and a tax break for trading in and purchasing at the same dealer. I made a mistake on my original post and we actually owe $23,120.

The way I see it, the offer ended up being around $19K OTD plus the remaining balance on the Subie. $19K + $1,120 = $20,120.

I am currently looking at other options including those listed by other members. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: onemig
Went to the VW dealer yesterday. They offered the Golf TDI S DSG to us at around $20,000 OTD. This price also includes the remaining balance on our loan on the FXT of $1,120 since we were offered by the dealer $22,000 and a tax break for trading in and purchasing at the same dealer. I made a mistake on my original post and we actually owe $23,120.

The way I see it, the offer ended up being around $19K OTD plus the remaining balance on the Subie. $19K + $1,120 = $20,120.

I am currently looking at other options including those listed by other members. Thanks!

That sounds like a great deal. The TDI will not be back for a while so you'll have some depreciation stability there as well. I assume you test drove the vehicle?

Yup, test drove it and though it was a short one, I felt the power to be adequate and not a complete downgrade from the power the FXT has.

Yeah the FXT has very good power almost everywhere of the RPM range while the TDI has a very good off the line shove but lost steam at the upper range, but the TDI to me gave a very good middle ground between straight line grunt and while getting great gas mileage. Plus in our living area, diesel is the cheapest.

OP,
local anecdotes:
-i saw on local dealer's lot, 2 2012 diesels, one at 196k miles and one at 204k miles.
they where former commercial leases, serviced at the local VW dealer every 8-10k miles.
they looked really good, did not grenaded and the service list didn't list many things beside regular maintenance.
-a friend had a 2011: because of chicago area traffic he was not really happy about mpg
i think somebody already mentioned to use hybrids if driving city-traffic-like
you know your commute better, but one more advise would be to gage/evaluate (internet reviews) your local VW dealer/independent shop (just in case)

I forgot to mention, one thing that is bugging me is that there are a bunch of dings on the roof, 2 at the rear hatch, one on the passenger side rear door and one on the rear quarter panel. I doubt it

Part of the deal includes the dings will be repaired. I'm pretty sure it will be PDR'd. I doubt they were from hail damage because none were on the hood.

Yup, test drove it and though it was a short one, I felt the power to be adequate and not a complete downgrade from the power the FXT has.

Yeah the FXT has very good power almost everywhere of the RPM range while the TDI has a very good off the line shove but lost steam at the upper range, but the TDI to me gave a very good middle ground between straight line grunt and while getting great gas mileage. Plus in our living area, diesel is the cheapest.

Sounds great!

Originally Posted By: pandus13
OP,
local anecdotes:
-i saw on local dealer's lot, 2 2012 diesels, one at 196k miles and one at 204k miles.
they where former commercial leases, serviced at the local VW dealer every 8-10k miles.
they looked really good, did not grenaded and the service list didn't list many things beside regular maintenance.
-a friend had a 2011: because of chicago area traffic he was not really happy about mpg
i think somebody already mentioned to use hybrids if driving city-traffic-like
you know your commute better, but one more advise would be to gage/evaluate (internet reviews) your local VW dealer/independent shop (just in case)

On that 80 mile roundtrip commute we do (we carpool), roughly 52 miles are highway at speeds between 55 mph to 80 mph, 18 miles of stop and go traffic, and 10 miles of to and from the freeway entrance from our house (no traffic, just traffic lights).

Thanks!

On that 80 mile roundtrip commute we do (we carpool), roughly 52 miles are highway at speeds between 55 mph to 80 mph, 18 miles of stop and go traffic, and 10 miles of to and from the freeway entrance from our house (no traffic, just traffic lights).

Thanks!

That's ideal diesel driving. You'll definitely get the oil hot enough.

Also keep in mind that you are buying something that you'll be in for 400 miles a week, 20,000 miles a year. Make sure you like ride, the interior (seats!), fit and finish, options as well as the mechanical aspects of the car.

I do 60 miles a day in 50/50 city hwy with heavy traffic (which translates to being in the car for 2 hours a day if I'm lucky), so these were all factors in my last purchase.

thr_wedge,

Yup. Seats felt good other than I wish there was more thigh height/angle adjustment. The driver's seat were height (total height not angle) back rest, and lower back support adjustable. I forgot to check the pass. seat but that is not really important to us.

Seats are something that me and my wife can only find out if we like them after we've owned the vehicle for a while. For example my wife likes the seats in our FXT while I don't (I do 99.99 percent of the driving so I guess I should be doing majority of the decision making of this car purchase right? Hehehe) but I only dicovered it after having the car for a couple of months already. Actually it wasn't so much the seats but rather the placement of the brake pedal. After my wife picks me up, I take over of the driving. There are times where I feel ok and there are times that I would feel like the brake pedal is placed just a little too much to the right. From time to time I would tell myself if the pedal have been placed a little bit to the left from where it currently is, I would probably be 100% happy. Overall I was ok with it because I am able to put up with little seating issues.

On the VW, I played with the seats and found it to be ok other than the lack of thigh angle adjustment. During test drive it also felt ok, I did not feel anything that I felt was a huge no no. I say ok because it could end up being a great seat for me or turn out to be the opposite.

I am able to put up with seats that does not make me 100% happy anyway so we will find out what the VW has in store for me if we decide to get it. Lol.

One more thing to consider with the TDI, is the whole emissions scandal going on. June 21st VW is releasing their fix the the TDIs. It's possible that the fix reduces power and mpg, as well as longevity. Could also increase maintenance cost because they might add DEF or something. They're going to offer to buy them back then too, and my aunt will sell it back to VW.

Also, I like how the car drives for the most part, my issue is the gas pedal, I can't stand it. It pivots from the bottom, sort of like if the "hinge" to it is on the floor, you have to use your entire foot on the gas pedal to drive it. Drives me nuts. Not sure how the Golf is though.

I found the seats to lack thigh support due to the lower seat angle, also. The seats seem to only angle when set in their lowest position.
Solution? Buy a couple longer bolts and add spacer/washers under the front bolts. 3/8" or even just a 1/4" makes a huge difference.
Now they are much better for longer drives.

If you can get into a TSI S for ~$17k, I'd jump on it. TDI has unknowns and more maintenance requirements. I doubt it would be cheaper to own in the long run. The TSI is a great engine. I think the ATX will cost you a couple mpg, though.

Oh, also the infotainment in the 2016 Golfs is much improved. Comes with Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. Standard backup cam on all models also, and S models get cloth vs leatherette in the 2015s. I found the faux stuff to not breathe on a test drive.

Last edited:
thYup. Seats felt good other than I wish there was more thigh height/angle adjustment. The driver's seat were height (total height not angle) back rest, and lower back support adjustable. I forgot to check the pass. seat but that is not really important to us.

crazy alternative: are seats from passat/higher class audi bolt-on?

Nick1994,

Yup, definitely thinking about the emissions scandal. The gas pedal is as you described. That one did not bother me and the brake pedal felt to be in a spot I like.

surfstar,

Great minds think alike. That was my plan if we end up with a VW.

The dealer just messaged me about a customer who plans to come in tomorrow to take a look at the car who will be coming from PA. Could be true or not. I told him I am still thinking about it because of the emissions scandal and the possible future implication of buying one amidst the issue.

Pandus13,

That is something I can look into if the seats bug me in the long run.

Nick1994,

I forgot to mention, the 2015 Golf TDI has urea injection equipped from the factory. Despite having it, it is still affected by the scandal. I wonder if that is just a precaution from EPA to include the 2015 Golf TDI or because it does in fact have the cheat software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back