Thinking of trading in the Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pass on the VW. Just don't touch it. It is an unknown of how long localities will allow and unfixed version to be on the road and if the fix will be kind to the longevity as some have mentioned.

If you need something fuel efficient and comfortable, just buy a Prius... or a Volt.

You can do what my wife and I did. Just go ahead and live in DC and walk (transit is out right now I know). We have one car (A 09 Fit Sport too) and she had a <1mile walk to work and I would do whatever (normally the bus, Metro, occasionally drive). Yeah, it was "expensive" (she worked at Georgetown) in some ways but worth it not to have a commute for her and after doing the cost of transport vs housing cost, it was a wash.

When the resale value of the VW diesel plummets after all the scandal fixes are known then grab it for pennies on the dollar....
smile.gif
Buy now and you don't know what's going to happen to them.

I think you would have a good experience with the Tdi with the long drive. However, having owned both, i love my Tsi gasser. Its just so responsive and torquey. Gets good enough mpg in the 30 to 40 range. Today i found clearance rugs at homedepot and fit 3 8 foot wide rugs right into the golf wagon.

Dareo,

Yeah, the Golf SportWagen does look attractive and useful.

Dareo,

I hear you on that one.

Just checked the VW website, and premium fuel is recommended to get the rated engine output. Sigh... I know regular is fine in it but dang.. Of course I want maximum performance out of it.

Is your fuel economy that bad on your Forester or are their other factors pushing you towards something else?

I too have an 80 mile round-trip work commute and own a 2016 Forester base model w/ CVT. My commute is almost entirely highway, but lots of hills, twists, turns with some parts @ 75mph and I can still average 30mpg tank/tank.

Last edited:
Never got good fuel economy in any of my cars.

20.7MPG in a 4 cylinder 4wd rav4 pretty much year round.

no more than 30mpg out of my matrix.

Gas is cheap, do a calculation of cost per mile and the fact is operating something that gets 20mpg is not that much more than something that gets 30mpg.

I would not touch a VW product either, unless it was a niche toy car for the weekend. Not a daily driver.

JTK,

Our FXT averages between 21-24 mpg. It takes premium. Our commute consists of 52 miles of freeway between 55 to 80 mph, 18 miles of Washington DC rush hr. traffic, and about 10 miles of in town traffic to and from the freeway on and exit ramp (not much vehicular traffic, just stop lights and stop signs.) That is our per day commute 5x a week.

It gets good gas mileage on the highway. I have seen as high as 32-34 mpg on pure highway driving. Gas mileage takes a major hit once we are in DC.

JustinH,

If talking about just gas expenditures, at current fuel prices for just our work commute, we are spending around $180 dollars every 4 weeks. If we get a vehicle that averages around 35 mpg that will either take regular or diesel (about 9 cents cheaper than regular where we live), it will be roughly $100 dollars every 4 weeks.

Remember this does not account for our weekend jaunts to relatives, friends etc. So the savings in fuel expense will be more.

With the Golf 1.8 TSI, the difference between regular and premium fuel is almost immeasurable, at least for me, at Utah altitude. I spent several months on RUG, then many months on PREM, and its barely noticeable. PREM is really only required if you get a ECU tune done, then you have about a 60hp bump in power.

Diesel may make the most sense for your area based on prices alone, and i wouldn't worry about resale value too much on a car they don't currently sell any more of.

No. Do not buy a VW diesel now. You will take such a hit on the depreciation it won't be worth it. It will be unregisterable in most states.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
No. Do not buy a VW diesel now. You will take such a hit on the depreciation it won't be worth it. It will be unregisterable in most states.

I haven't followed the scandal for a few months, is there any evidence that is true?

Quote:
I haven't followed the scandal for a few months, is there any evidence that is true?

Not sure if the 2015 Golf TDI is part of the scandal or not, but I would still stay far away unless you plan on driving that vehicle into the ground--there will be no resale on VW diesels. A friend has one of the diesel Jettas and is expecting them to buy it out and give him a check for some undisclosed sum. Many of the cars would be too expensive to bring up to US spec so VW will either junk them or ship them somewhere else in the world I imagine. Here in NY you won't be able to register one unless proof of emissions compliance is available.

Thank you all for chiming in. Your concerns about the diesel scandal mirrors mine. That is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one.

Originally Posted By: onemig
JustinH,

If talking about just gas expenditures, at current fuel prices for just our work commute, we are spending around $180 dollars every 4 weeks. If we get a vehicle that averages around 35 mpg that will either take regular or diesel (about 9 cents cheaper than regular where we live), it will be roughly $100 dollars every 4 weeks.

Remember this does not account for our weekend jaunts to relatives, friends etc. So the savings in fuel expense will be more.

OP/onemig,

i think your best bet comparing this is search for user boomer threads about his Passat tdi. while he is retired, i think he drives similar conditions....
now diesel-gate VW scandal, I sincerly wish you luck...

Personally, I love simple, old naturally aspirated diesels, but I'm not sure I would want one of the little, modern, complicated diesels. Better off with a gasser that is cheaper and more variety to choose from, easier and cheaper to fix, generally easier and cheaper to find gasoline. I suspect total cost of ownership would be lower on a small gasoline powered car than on a small diesel. The are lots of cars with better than 30mpg on the highway--heck, my 2003 Impala with the 3.4L engine gets 30-32 mpg on long trips. One silly little thing I found when driving my diesel Rabbit back in the day is that fueling up always leaves you with a little Eau de Diesel perfume on you--if not your hands often the soles of your shoes from having to stand on the oily pavement where diesel has been spilled. Keep wet wipes around for clean up!

Last edited:
Personally I prefer diesel odor to gasoline. Not that I want to smell either, but get some onto my hands and gasoline about, well, gasses me. Either exhaust doesn't bother me.

Loved my diesel, and its issues didn't come until it had high miles, so I can't complain about it being bad. That said, whatever repairs it did need tended to be costly. Online the first advice given to buyers was to figure out what mechanic you wanted to trust; dealers where horrific a few years ago and while they are likely better now they are still expensive.

It was a more pleasant place to spend 11 years than a 30mpg gasser, but in the end, it cost about the same as a gasser that needed minimal repairs.

I'd personally pass on the TDI and buy the MkVII TSI Golf. Great deals on new VW's right now. My 2012 Golf 2.5L has been a pleasure to drive everyday. I find the seats very comfortable and the ride is wonderful. Very safe car as well. The only concern I'd have is the a new VW TSI is gas direct injection. Carbon build-up. There was a thread on the 1.4TSI which showed awful carbon build up on a low mileage engine. (This is also a reason I bought my Golf. No direct injection and old school cast-iron block. No turbo.) Downside w/2.5L engine, poor gas mileage. Upside: fun to drive, great low-end torque.) Don't know if the 1.8/2L TSI engines have an issue w/carbon build-up? For the asking $ of a new gas VW, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I was in the market for a new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back