Thinking about pulling the trigger on this 02 E46 M3....

Really? This ones got 60 service records. So, it looks well maintained
Sorry I don't mean any disrespect, if it's something you really want then you should get it. I'm just going by what I've read here and there about the cost to maintain and repair BMW's. Seemed like my co-worker was dropping a grand or two every time something went wrong, other than that he loved driving it.

Reactions: JC1
Sorry I don't mean any disrespect, if it's something you really want then you should get it. I'm just going by what I've read here and there about the cost to maintain and repair BMW's. Seemed like my co-worker was dropping a grand or two every time something went wrong, other than that he loved driving it.

The joy of high end European cars.
My thought has always been that Audi-BMW and Mercedes among some others were always marketed to affluent drivers that would trade them in before the warranty expired.
Leaving the less affluent used car buyer to deal with the expensive repairs.

The joy of high end European cars.
My thought has always been that Audi-BMW and Mercedes among some others were always marketed to affluent drivers that would trade them in before the warranty expired.
Leaving the less affluent used car buyer to deal with the expensive repairs.
Well said, and the very reason I’ve never owned a used high end euro car.

Would this replace a car in your signature and if so which one? Perhaps I missed that point. Generally speaking sounds like a pass.

Terrible advice, E60 will be in the shop constantly and doubt it will even be a classic with those looks. Maybe an E39 M5, that should grow / keep value like the E46.
I never cared for the steering on the E39 M5, or any V8 E39 for that matter. I like the drive of the E60 better, as well as the V10.

Terrible advice, E60 will be in the shop constantly and doubt it will even be a classic with those looks. Maybe an E39 M5, that should grow / keep value like the E46.
stick shift e60 smacks the e39 it’s not even close. there’s absolutely 0 doubt it will be worth more in a little time

Well, I went and looked at it.

It's 20 years old so obviously, it's got blemishes. All 4 wheels curbed, orange peel on the truck etc.

The used car manager brought the car from the 2nd owner. Private party value on that exact M3 is $15,788 (Fair), $17,673 (good), $18,353 (Very Good) and $20,000 (give or take) (Excellent). Car's not in excellent condition.

The used car manager most likely gave the guy around $17,000 for the M3. A UCI (used car inspection (oil change/filter and wipers) cost $250 (give or take). A detail $80 (give or take). Dealer Fees ($1500 pack etc). The total cost comes up to $18,330 ROUGLY. Per what the guy said on the phone, all that was done was an oil and filter change.

They would not budge at all on that price. Wouldn't even take off the $998 "protection package". So, realistically, the price was $25k. So, a $7k markup roughly

I walked out.

Well, I went and looked at it.

It's 20 years old so obviously, it's got blemishes. All 4 wheels curbed, orange peel on the truck etc.

The used car manager brought the car from the 2nd owner. Private party value on that exact M3 is $15,788 (Fair), $17,673 (good), $18,353 (Very Good) and $20,000 (give or take) (Excellent). Car's not in excellent condition.

The used car manager most likely gave the guy around $17,000 for the M3. A UCI (used car inspection (oil change/filter and wipers) cost $250 (give or take). A detail $80 (give or take). Dealer Fees ($1500 pack etc). The total cost comes up to $18,330 ROUGLY. Per what the guy said on the phone, all that was done was an oil and filter change.

They would not budge at all on that price. Wouldn't even take off the $998 "protection package". So, realistically, the price was $25k. So, a $7k markup roughly

I walked out.
You did well . It wasn't the car for you ! These are amazing machines and I always liked them and they were strong performing for the time ! If it's meant to be you will find the right one

https://www.mcgrathacuralibertyville...e-il/63779624/

Looks like it's been well maintained. 59 service records, no accidents or damage reported. 2 owners

Going to ask the dealer to send pics of the under body, a walk-around video of the engine and stuff, service records, and if they have any records of the SMG pump being replaced and if the rod bearings were done. I'm going to NY end of Feb. So, I hardly got time to go see it in person right now.

What do y'all think a good price would be? I know E46 M3s are catching crazy money right now. I've always wanted one. but $24k for a 20-year-old car seems kinda steep.

They took it in on trade (shows on the carfax). Trade-in value ranging anywhere from $14k (fair shape which most dealers start the trade-value from) to $17,950 (like new). They probably gave the guy roughly around $16,500 maybe. Add roughly $2k for service and detail. So, their total cost roughly around $19k. I was thinking of offering $20,500+TTL.
Cost doesnt matter, if you ppan to keep and enjoy it. Its money v. Utility for YOU.

E46 was the last real M3, imo. A friend had one back when they were new. It constantly had issues, but I did like it. It was pure early 2000s bmw.

The rear floor pans crack around the subframe mounting holes, i can tell you from personal experience it can be cracked and the only way you see it will be by taking the subframe out. This wouldn’t stop me from buying one of these but you must budget did this repair as you cannot know if it needs it or not before purchase. Or buy one that’s had the reinforcement kit fitted already.

stick shift e60 smacks the e39 it’s not even close. there’s absolutely 0 doubt it will be worth more in a little time
It’s not all about performance. Look at the E30 M3 and E34 M5. Not near as fast as the newer models but $$$$. A lot of it is the impression it left of people at the time. Was the E60 ever loved? Sure the engine was but the body?

It’s not all about performance. Look at the E30 M3 and E34 M5. Not near as fast as the newer models but $$$$. A lot of it is the impression it left of people at the time. Was the E60 ever loved? Sure the engine was but the body?
I personally love the E60. Missed my chance a long time ago to buy an E60 530i w/stick in good condition.

They're all clapped-out now

E34 M5. Not near as fast as the newer models but $$$$. A lot of it is the impression it left of people at the time. Was the E60 ever loved? Sure the engine was but the body?
a regular E34 M5 is barely a 20 grand car. the E500E, a car with the driving dynamics of a refrigerator, regularly sells for more than them.

Back