Thinking about pulling the trigger on this 02 E46 M3....

https://www.mcgrathacuralibertyville...e-il/63779624/

Looks like it's been well maintained. 59 service records, no accidents or damage reported. 2 owners

Going to ask the dealer to send pics of the under body, a walk-around video of the engine and stuff, service records, and if they have any records of the SMG pump being replaced and if the rod bearings were done. I'm going to NY end of Feb. So, I hardly got time to go see it in person right now.

What do y'all think a good price would be? I know E46 M3s are catching crazy money right now. I've always wanted one. but $24k for a 20-year-old car seems kinda steep.

They took it in on trade (shows on the carfax). Trade-in value ranging anywhere from $14k (fair shape which most dealers start the trade-value from) to $17,950 (like new). They probably gave the guy roughly around $16,500 maybe. Add roughly $2k for service and detail. So, their total cost roughly around $19k. I was thinking of offering $20,500+TTL.

Save the cash and find E60 M5.

It honestly doesn't look bad though, and the miles aren't high. Go for it if you want it. You gonna trade in the E90?
E60 M5s are horrible engine wise :(.

Nah E90 is gonna be used in the winter since it's AWD. M3 for the summer. Gonna cut the insurance on the E90 when I put it in storage during the summer. Vice Versa for the M3

E60 M5s are horrible engine wise :(.

Nah E90 is gonna be used in the winter since it's AWD. M3 for the summer. Gonna cut the insurance on the E90 when I put it in storage during the summer. Vice Versa for the M3

I'm not convinced E60 engines are any more unreliable than the E46 M3. They both have a history of rod bearing failure but otherwise fairly sound engines.

Looks like it's been well maintained. 59 service records, no accidents or damage reported. 2 owners

Going to ask the dealer to send pics of the under body, a walk-around video of the engine and stuff, service records, and if they have any records of the SMG pump being replaced and if the rod bearings were done. I'm going to NY end of Feb. So, I hardly got time to go see it in person right now.

What do y'all think a good price would be? I know E46 M3s are catching crazy money right now. I've always wanted one. but $24k for a 20-year-old car seems kinda steep.

They took it in on trade (shows on the carfax). Trade-in value ranging anywhere from $14k (fair shape which most dealers start the trade-value from) to $17,950 (like new). They probably gave the guy roughly around $16,500 maybe. Add roughly $2k for service and detail. So, their total cost roughly around $19k. I was thinking of offering $20,500+TTL.
You won't get it for that price-have you heard about the used car market? It's affecting the entire market-even the brand you are looking at.

Miles are low but age is high. I would inspect rear subframe for cracks where it attaches to the body. IIRC there was a class action on that but it may have expired and I don't remember the terms (ie. original owner only). I'd be surprise of the rod bearings weren't done since it was a recall.

Price seems a little high for a 20 yr old car but that's NY money.

Having always had a stick car in the stable my entire driving life, that is one car I wouldn’t want with an automatic. Don’t care if it gets to 60 MPH faster with an automatic or not.

I would never buy a car like this without a bumper to bumper warranty. Had a co-worker buy one, he pretty much regretted it from the first repair.

Reactions: JC1
Connecting rod bearings were replaced in 2004 when the car had 35k miles on it. Called the original servicing/selling dealer.

They said it was maintained its whole life at their facility.

No report of the SMG pump ever being replaced tho

Back