Thinking about getting a job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I suppose if one would be content collecting a government paycheck every week that may be good advice. I personally couldn't stand being a government paid lackey. But for those who don't have the confidence to take charge of their own lives it may be a good compromise.

You never fail Pop Rivit. So everyone who works for the government doesn't have the confidence to take charge of their own lives? What a crock of [censored] fraudulent statement. The more I listen to your asinine gibberish, the more I'm glad I live far away from you and I'm not like you. You think plumbing guys in a school district don't have the confidence to take charge of their lives? You think someone who works in a prison has it easy and is a lackey? YOU MAKE ME SICK with your B S

There isn't anything wrong working a gov't job. Having a job is taking charge of your own life.

What isn't taking charge is when you're retire at 46 and still live in your parent's house. Paying a whole $150/month. (When I last saw him in 1990 anyway.)

Despite pop's usual blather, he is right on about biz ownership.

It's harder. It's not for everyone. There is real risk.

But I would NEVER work for anyone, it just never went well for me...

Have you ever thought about having an outside company do your billing? In other words, they take a percentage of your revenue, but when the payment is late, THEY are the ones who go after the non-paying customer.

OtisBlkR1,

Having a decent paying job with great benefits and great retirement is better than the stress / aggravation of having to be at the mercy of others running a business.

Sure owning your own business can be great, but for many its not the best idea.

I suppose if one would be content collecting a government paycheck every week that may be good advice. I personally couldn't stand being a government paid lackey. But for those who don't have the confidence to take charge of their own lives it may be a good compromise.

What a shameful statement to make. So firefighters, police, school teachers, school plumbers, electricians, and custodians, park rangers, and highway workers (to name just a few) are government lackeys?

BTW, for those of you who don't know, my signature, "Scofflaw" comes from a thread where the Father_of_Rivits called me that.

^ I wonder if 'ol Pop refuses Social Security?

I happily collect my gov'ment paycheck and am saving to retire in my early 50's, all the while getting many holidays, a flex schedule with every other Friday off, low stress job, and no need for overtime. You can take charge of your own life, but for me - F___ work. I've got better things to do with my life. I'm not a fan and yesterday's Dilbert is quite related:
http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2014-07-11/
224683.strip.gif

Last edited:
Heh, a few years ago I came across a saying in someone's signature: "My career goal is to retire." I haven't had the guts to put that into any sort of yearly performance review, though. But the older I get the more of a goal it becomes.

Originally Posted By: supton
Heh, a few years ago I came across a saying in someone's signature: "My career goal is to retire." I haven't had the guts to put that into any sort of yearly performance review, though. But the older I get the more of a goal it becomes.

Not me. I expect to work, assuming I'm able, pretty much until I die. Part of that is financial, but I don't want to fade away like my Dad. It seemed like as soon as he retired, he just started to fade.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The more I listen to your asinine gibberish, the more I'm glad I live far away from you and I'm not like you.

Sad to have to say it, but it's true. Perhaps more sad that it has to be said to a 70+ year old.

OP, find your own way, and whatever it is, work to be the best at it that you can. Get started and run with it however makes sense. Perhaps that means leverage skills developed to go out on your own, or perhaps the area you go into will have a higher overhead than is practical to create, and you're better off working as an employee.

Find something that makes you happy, do the best you can with it, be careful, and live within your means... You won't go wrong, regardless of what anyone says.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

What a shameful statement to make. So firefighters, police, school teachers, school plumbers, electricians, and custodians, park rangers, and highway workers (to name just a few) are government lackeys?

BTW, for those of you who don't know, my signature, "Scofflaw" comes from a thread where the Father_of_Rivits called me that.

Actually, many are...seeing highway workers sleeping on the clock, stealing, and using state equipment for personal use is nothing unusual.

Not me. I expect to work, assuming I'm able, pretty much until I die. Part of that is financial, but I don't want to fade away like my Dad. It seemed like as soon as he retired, he just started to fade.

I retired 12 years ago at the age of 58, I'm now 70 and still going strong with doing the things I enjoy the most. My hobbies, shooting, reloading, helping the NRA, watch collecting, working on my own cars, life is good. The last 12 years have been some of the happiest in my life.

Sorry about your Dad tho.

My 83 year old dad still drivers to the library and reads for 3-4 hours to keep sharp.

Sitting in front of a TV when retired will kill you.

I'll see what happens when I get there. But I plan to stay busy: I won't be lounging on the couch for sure. What would be ideal perhaps is to figure out how I could work for say a 4 week stretch, then off traveling for four... Actually it'd be lovely if I could do that long before "typical" retirement age. Somewhere around 55 if I have done well enough my 401k should be in good enough shape that I won't need to contribute, yet I'll be quite young and desiring to not work all the time.

It's the very reason that I ran for elected office-to help keep taxes low, and maintain/improve fiduciary responsibility at a local level. I could have sat around and complained, but instead I chose to dedicate time to changing things that I thought were wrong. There's no reason why each of you who are crying and moaning can't do exactly the same.

If there are a couple other folks in line chances are I know them from the winery, my elected position, or through having lived in the area for most of my life.

I keep reading on here that there are no opportunities to make money in this economy, but I have to beg to differ. There are ample opportunities if you're willing to look outside the box.

Last fall my wife and I attended a township trustees meeting, and the subject of cemetery records was brought up. The township had been looking for someone to compile the cemetery records and put them into some sort of a computerized database (they were then hand written on large charts). The 4 cemeteries range from a pioneer cemetery that's just over an acre in size, to a cemetery that's currently in use that's just over 10 acres in size. The township had been looking for "a few years" for someone to take on the project, but could find no takers other than a guy who would do most of the work by "witching" the graves and wanted to charge an outrageous fee to do so.

I made a motion and offered to research the project and get them a proposal by the next quarterly meeting. My wife and I spent some time figuring out what it would take, researched software (I decided to write my own), and put together a proposal.

Our proposal was eagerly accepted at the December meeting. Since it was winter we wouldn't being the actual mapping until spring. Over the winter I spent a couple snowy afternoons writing a fairly simple database. There are a couple commercial software programs available, but I could customize mine for our needs. In all I had about 5 hours into the software.

Between May and July we spent 6 Saturday mornings (from 2-4 hours each) in the cemeteries recording the data from the headstones. We'd return home, and during the week enter the data into the program. Today is our last day working in the cemetery for this project, and we've determined that it takes about an hour of work for each acre of cemetery land, including listing the data, comparing it to records, and entering it into the program. I get to spend time with my wife, it keeps us outside and gives us some additional exercise, and it's a fascinating history lesson when we realize how difficult life was in the 1800's. Imagine parents passing away when they were in their 30's, surrounded by the graves of their children, none of which lived beyond 4 or 5 years old.

This week we received a call from the secretary of a neighboring township who would like to meet with us, along with representatives of two additional townships (3 in all) and discuss having us write a proposal to do the same thing in each township. I have no doubt they know what we'll charge, and the proposal is just a formality. Now that the software is complete, we'll do one more this fall, we may work during the winter if the weather permits, but we should have the three additional townships finished by this time next year. The amount we'll make, after taxes, will be enough to nearly pay for the purchase a new moderately priced car (which we don't need and won't do).

When I hear people bemoan the idea that there's no opportunity, yet I find local townships begging for someone to take on a project like this, I have to wonder how hard people are actually looking for opportunities. Just in my county alone there are 19 townships, and there may be only a couple that have electronic cemetery records. Once we're done with our next 3 townships I may make proposals to a few other townships, assuming someone doesn't beat me to them (which I doubt). When I think of the number of townships in our county, and some of the townships in the neighboring counties, I see the potential for a nice part time job that brings in a tidy income. I'm quite certain that there are hundreds more townships across the country with the same needs. I have no doubt that this would make an enjoyable family project, as well as a nice part time job for anyone willing to do it.

Of course, I could have spent the time in front of the television, or playing video games. But then, I wouldn't have found this opportunity if I'd been doing those things, would I?

Care to explain yourself???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back