Thinking about buying a motorcycle....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well all don't forget that in the first place, the shadow is his. He bought it primarily for himself. I ride it when he isn't here or isn't using it. They just don't want me commuting on a bike everyday.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Nick has proven me wrong. But I have never been more happy to be wrong about it though!

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not an impulse buyer on big things. The CX-5 was the exception.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Contrary to popular belief, I'm not an impulse buyer on big things. The CX-5 was the exception.
wink.gif

Mazda thanks you for your contribution of being an impulse buyer.
Whomever financed you, thanks you even more.

I still think you would have a great time coming up with your own funds, for your own bike.
And, it should be your own call if you use your bike for going to and from work.
But, your life revolves around what your family tells you to do, so I understand that you can't rock the boat in any way, shape or form.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Nick R
wink.gif

Mazda thanks you for your contribution of being an impulse buyer.
Whomever financed you, thanks you even more.

I still think you would have a great time coming up with your own funds, for your own bike.
And, it should be your own call if you use your bike for going to and from work.
But, your life revolves around what your family tells you to do, so I understand that you can't rock the boat in any way, shape or form.

BC.

Eh it's not so bad as that, but I don't want to make them worry any more than necessary. What with my dad retiring and building a house in the next 8 months to a year, they have enough to worry about.

I also do still at some point plan to buy my own bike cash, but it's something I'll revisit next spring probably when things have settled down.

I love my 2003 Harley-Davidson V-Rod. It's one of the most solid feeling, easy handling bike that has a total split personality. Keep the revs below 5000, and it's as tame and docile as a lamb, but whack the throttle open and let it sing up to its 9000 RPM redline and it's just flat out scary at first. After you're used to the powerband, it's lots of fun.
Coming from air-cooled V-twins, it took me some time to get the stones to rev it that hard, but it was really rewarding when I did.

There is nothing that's typically Harley about this bike. It doesn't vibrate, it's not loud, and so smooth I forget this is an American bike.

MPG isn't the hottest for an 1130cc, but not too bad either. I've gotten a low of 39 and a high of 46. Fuel capacity could be bigger. With only 3.7 gallons, a fuel stop every 100-120 miles is mandatory.

They're not cheap however... A 2003-2005 with low miles in pristine condition will set you back $8-10k. Brand new they're $15-18k. Like most H-Ds, they hold their value very well. These depreciate a tad more than the big baggers, but still not as bad as the Metric bikes.

Take one for a ride sometime... You'll be as impressed as I was.

Last edited:
Nice choice on the V-Rod. I've loved those since they day they were released; it's probably the first HD that turned me onto the brand.

Originally Posted By: Thomasterrible
I would not get a 250 unless it was a dirt bike. I have ridden and raced bikes for over 30 years and that is just way too small, especially for the type of motor and power it generates. It is also a small bike for your size...you certainly won't be having any passengers ever....

IMG.jpg

I have ridden street bikes from 125cc to 1800cc. My GSF400 Bandit remains my favorite.

On the list of replacements for my little 400 is the 300 Ninja.
It will not be as quick as the 400 4-cylinder. It's about 15 hp short. I will no longer rule the EX500s, GS500Fs, and occasional VF500. Don't need to.

I never had a problem with the 250 Ninja on the freeway. 10 extra horsepower is certainly not going to hurt and it should be every bit as maneuverable as the 250 is.

Also on the list, the Hyosung GT250R. It would have to be a really good purchase price though. It is a little cheap in places. And it's 650 size. It's like a Chinese bike with a well made Suzuki motor.

I view China bikes like the Lifan LF200B and JinLun JL250P probably like you view 250s. Toys to tinker with. Not ride on the freeway.

Nick: I have ridden motorcycles on and off for about 40 years. For commuting a 60 mile ride I would get a used Honda 750 shadow. There are several hundred on cycle trader and they are very reliable bikes. A 750 will give you the necessary power and good fuel economy as well. Plus you won't get fatigued on a larger bike.

Last edited:
The dirty little secret about motorcycle economy is that with tires, chains and other maintenance costs, a small engine subcompact is as cheap to operate. Ride motorcycles because they are fun, not because they are cheap. My riding gear is about a couple of grand to replace.

Tell me about tires...

Got 8000 miles out of this last pair, and for the V-Rod, they're far from cheap. A little over $500 for two new tires, and another $170 for mounting & balancing. They're a soft compound that just doesn't wear well at all.

Originally Posted By: GT Mike
Tell me about tires...

Got 8000 miles out of this last pair, and for the V-Rod, they're far from cheap. A little over $500 for two new tires, and another $170 for mounting & balancing. They're a soft compound that just doesn't wear well at all.

Consider yourself fortunate. You are getting about four times the mileage out of your tires, as I get from mine. I could get better mileage from tires, but then the rides wouldn't be nearly as fun. For the record, no burnouts, just lots of canyon riding, with very little traffic.

I do buy them for a better price, however. The most recent set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's, in 120/70ZR17 and 190/55ZR17 were $330.00 mounted and balanced, with the wheels off the bike.

It sounds like someone is charging you full suggested retail price for the tires, and removing and reinstalling the wheels for you.

I like the Metzler 880 tires. They wear well as long as the pressure is kept up. Many run em low and wonder why they didn't get the miles expected.
Although I put on a new set of 880s on one of the bikes a few months ago, I now see they have a 888 line....grrrrr

add - I pull the tires off then take them to a shop to have the new installed and balanced. Don't know how much more it would cost if I took the bike itself down to a shop and have them do it all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE

Consider yourself fortunate. You are getting about four times the mileage out of your tires, as I get from mine. I could get better mileage from tires, but then the rides wouldn't be nearly as fun. For the record, no burnouts, just lots of canyon riding, with very little traffic.

I do buy them for a better price, however. The most recent set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's, in 120/70ZR17 and 190/55ZR17 were $330.00 mounted and balanced, with the wheels off the bike.

It sounds like someone is charging you full suggested retail price for the tires, and removing and reinstalling the wheels for you.

Were you riding sport bikes? Decent tires for those tend to evaporate pretty quick. But a hard wearing cruiser tire should last at least 4-5 times as long.

Originally Posted By: GT Mike
Tell me about tires...

And that's exactly why I've been changing my own tires since 2002.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: 02SE

Were you riding sport bikes? Decent tires for those tend to evaporate pretty quick. But a hard wearing cruiser tire should last at least 4-5 times as long.

Just one sportbike in this case. A Hayabusa, lightened by approx. 50 lbs, suspension and brakes upgraded, de-restricted, and a modified engine that makes significantly more power than stock.

The tires I just put on are Michelin's newest street/track day tire. Michelin claims they will last longer than their previous Pilot Power 2ct, while simultaneously offering more grip.

For more longevity, (about double that of the Pilot Power 2ct, Dunlop Qualifier Q2, or Bridgestone BT-016 Pro) but less outright grip, I ran a set of the Bridgestone BT-023 Sport Touring tires on a trip last year. I was impressed that they did as well as they did.

If leaning the bike over and dragging your knee slider regularly isn't on the agenda, the BT-023 Sport Touring tire is probably adequate.

Of course the Bridgestone BT-023 is an incredible improvement in grip over the bias ply tires of 30 years ago.
smile.gif

The roads around here are about as flat as Gwen Stefani's chest, so there's not a whole lot of carving to be done. The price for the tires wasn't bad as I got them on sale. I could have cheaped out and got a much less expensive set, but I haven't seen the greatest reviews on them. The V-Rod guys swear by the Avon Cobra or Metzeler. 120/70-ZR19 front and 180/55-ZR18 rear is what mine wears. The newer ones went to a 240/40-ZR18 rear. I think that started in around 2008.

The price the H-D shop charged for installation was outrageous, but I digress... Pay extra for the sake of convenience. I had the bike there for the winter months since I got a deal on their storage package. Heated covered storage with a maintainer and a wash/mini detail upon pickup. Figured it would be a perfect opportunity to have them install a pair of new sneakers while it sat there. First and last time I do that.

Today, friend was telling me he's replacing his tires, again. And again, he went with Shinko tires.
Guess I didn't convince him after last time to try something else for once. Seems it's all he uses. I don't know anyone else running Shinko. Seems he wears em out fast, but again, he probably rarely checks his pressures because he's the type.

I now wish I had a bigger engine than the 500cc in my Ninja 500R. It's fast and makes good power above 7,000 rpms, but I'd like more low end and midrange, and maybe more top end too.

A ninja 650 would probably be good but I think I would rather have 4 cylinders and maybe 1000cc. I can't imagine someone wanting less than a 500cc. A 250cc is for teens and girls lol
28.gif

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I now wish I had a bigger engine than the 500cc in my Ninja 500R. It's fast and makes good power above 7,000 rpms, but I'd like more low end and midrange, and maybe more top end too.

A ninja 650 would probably be good but I think I would rather have 4 cylinders and maybe 1000cc. I can't imagine someone wanting less than a 500cc. A 250cc is for teens and girls lol
28.gif

I've been riding an 1800 for so long, I couldn't even imagine riding a 1000 anymore...a 250 seems like a bike I'd take along with me as a spare...and that would be like one of those little donut spares...;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back