Thinking about buying a motorcycle....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
The dirty little secret about motorcycle economy is that with tires, chains and other maintenance costs, a small engine subcompact is as cheap to operate. Ride motorcycles because they are fun, not because they are cheap. My riding gear is about a couple of grand to replace.

+1 This is true and often overlooked.

Originally Posted By: Doog
The dirty little secret about motorcycle economy is that with tires, chains and other maintenance costs, a small engine subcompact is as cheap to operate. Ride motorcycles because they are fun, not because they are cheap. My riding gear is about a couple of grand to replace.

Yes, most consider a MC a toy rather than an economical form of transportation...they just happen to get good fuel economy...

Originally Posted By: Doog

100% true.
Up until January when my falco was stolen my daily driver has been a motorcycle. The fuel savings are offset by wear items cost. Tires spark plugs and brake pads. But the lifestyle is totally worth it. I freaking loved all three of thr bikes I have owned. If I didn't have my Electra I would be riding around with another bike already.

If you are serious about getting into motorcycles may I suggest thr basic rider course and as far as first bike is concerned I highly recommend any Suzuki sv650. Get good gear. The best gear is thr kind you wear all the time. As a bigger dude I recommend icon leather jackets and for gloves I liie speed n strength. Helmets I liie shark bell star shoei rf1100. Open face helmets are a joke. For less pricey helmets its difficult to beat scorpion who also make some very good gear as well.

Pilot road 3s had a really good combination of life grip and cost. If you buy a good front and rear stand and get tires online the costs of tire changes goes from 500-600 bucks to more like 300-400.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I now wish I had a bigger engine than the 500cc in my Ninja 500R. It's fast and makes good power above 7,000 rpms, but I'd like more low end and midrange, and maybe more top end too.

A ninja 650 would probably be good but I think I would rather have 4 cylinders and maybe 1000cc. I can't imagine someone wanting less than a 500cc. A 250cc is for teens and girls lol
28.gif

Dude I work with got a Yamaha V-star 250 a couple years ago from a guy that owed him money & was broke. He got it running & figured he'd ride it a little before selling it. He's been riding it to work every nice day ever since (including today), and will be doing Fall River to Albany & back this summer. He loves it...to the point that he sold his Vulcan 900 because he never rides it anymore. That little V-star pulls down 65+MPG and will run 80MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back