Thin vs Thick Discussion Midterm Examination

Status
Not open for further replies.
"There is no 10 grade oil."

Actually I just bought some 0W-10 weight oil from Redline. They also have a 0W-5 if you like.

AEHaas

"There is no 10 grade oil."

Actually I just bought some 0W-10 weight oil from Redline. They also have a 0W-5 if you like.

AEHaas

Neither of which exist in J300, so neither are SAE grades. I could go grab a bottle of Ravenol and re-label it to be 2w-45, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't a real grade. Playing make believe with viscosity is at best a marketing ploy to make people believe they are buying something "special". At worst, it is outright deception, because there are literally zero parameters for something defined outside of J300.

Neither of which exist in J300, so neither are SAE grades. I could go grab a bottle of Ravenol and re-label it to be 2w-45, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't a real grade. Playing make believe with viscosity is at best a marketing ploy to make people believe they are buying something "special". At worst, it is outright deception, because there are literally zero parameters for something defined outside of J300.
The Redline stuff would be either 0w8 or 0w12, I'm not sure since they don't publish the HTHS viscosity, although being Red line and that the kv100 is on the heavier end for 0w8 for some reason I's guess that the HTHS is probably fairly high so it's probably a 0w12.

1618776823599.jpg

The Redline stuff would be either 0w8 or 0w12, I'm not sure since they don't publish the HTHS viscosity, although being Red line and that the kv100 is on the heavier end for 0w8 for some reason I's guess that the HTHS is probably fairly high so it's probably a 0w12.

View attachment 54651

Yup, exactly. We've been over this before. Previously, they'd have been thin 0w-20's before 0w-16, 0w-12 and 0w-8 were ratified by the SAE.

SAE/API 8 and 12 grade motor oils, to me, are in a different category, a different group or class of oils with a different purpose. They are not just a "thinner" oil as the same type we know of today.

AEHaas

Correct. And "cold" need not be sub zero but rather 75 F. Also, one must remember that oil warms slowly compared to engine water temperature. It takes 20 minutes or so to get an engine oil temperature from 75 F start up to 212 F operating temperature with normal driving.

The problem will be obvious when you read the next and final chapter.

AEHaas
In what world. It takes maybe 5 minutes with modern engines that have the manifold integrated into the block.

Correct. And "cold" need not be sub zero but rather 75 F. Also, one must remember that oil warms slowly compared to engine water temperature. It takes 20 minutes or so to get an engine oil temperature from 75 F start up to 212 F operating temperature with normal driving.

The problem will be obvious when you read the next and final chapter.

AEHaas
A significant amount of the heat that gets to the jackets is GENERATED in the bearings...

Seriously glad that I failed the test...

Last edited:
Ref. #2

Tell a guy "racing" his Detroit diesel 6V92 that a Multigrade is acceptable for use in that engine.

Also, most monogrades will exhibit a higher HTHS and will have a greater MOFT at high operating temps.

And, since when is an undergraduate qualified to give a Midterm?

The unmitigated gall of some people! - Hippocrates

Chapters and midterms and diplomas, oh my....

Look, I think we can all agree that whether it's a $300 hooptie or a $300,000 supercar, if you're going to drive it like a grocery getter, you'll be fine running a grocery getter oil.

Chapters and midterms and diplomas, oh my....

Look, I think we can all agree that whether it's a $300 hooptie or a $300,000 supercar, if you're going to drive it like a grocery getter, you'll be fine running a grocery getter oil.
Introducing Pennzoils newest addition the the synthetic PurePlus family.

Pennzoil Grocery Getter

...The problem will be obvious when you read the next and final chapter.

AEHaas
I know of no technical or engineering instructor or lecturer who poses questions on material not covered. This would violate the fairness doctrine.

The Question of the Day thread is the place to post tribology questions, but you must have the qualifications and background to state both the technology and the problem, and to properly answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back