Thin or thick (TGMO 0W-20/M1 0W-40): Final verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I don't know, but I've had excellent results with the AFE products in our Expedition (zero consumption) and will run the EP going forward in our new RAM, which is the current fill. Do you intend on cutting your filter open? I'd suggest doing so, as that may answer your question.

Is it worth getting my saw dirty? Can you tell if they are the deposits removed by the oil? Do you have pictures?

Sure, it looked like this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That does seem like a lot but then again I've never cut open a filter. I always assumed any dirt would be very tiny and sludgy.

Gokhan, I am planning on running the EP on my next change coming up here soon so these assessments are interesting.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Thanks, that looks like a lot of dirt. Do you regularly look inside your oil filters? Was it different before this OCI?

It's been like 10 years now but IIRC, there was nothing of significance until I started running M1 0w-40 in it? Don't hold me to that though. I don't recall getting much, if anything, in the filters from the Petro-Canada oils, but M1 0w-40 stirred this stuff up and it continued when I switched to the AFE 0w-30, which I ran for several OCI's and this tapered off and stopped after like 5 OCI's.

For me Toyota put an end to my concerns about thin v. thick and cafe requirements.

Page 673 of owners manual of my 2019 rav4 hybrid states that
" An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions. "

0W16 is the preferred oil here in USA.

So a thicker oil might provide better protection at high speed's like driving 8 hours on the highway on a hot summer day.

This is further confirmed by 2019 rav4 hybrid owner manual for Australia. It allows 10w30 roughly at 0 F and 15w40 at roughly 10F.

So now I have no more concerns about vvt etc. not working properly as I use thicker oil in warmer temperatures.

My goal is to put at least 150k on my vehicles so I vote thick. No "20s" like 5W20. All I use is 5W40.

I think this thin/thick thing has become a moot issue now. When I was in the market for a new car, I was looking at the BMW X3, and it turns out that all new BMWs and Audis, except for the racing versions, are now using 0W-20. Every car is trying to improve its MPG and oils with HTHS viscosity ⥠3.5 cP are becoming a thing of the past, regardless of whether you live in US or Europe. TGDI engines, hybrids and plug-in hybrids, and EVs are becoming common for the same reason.

Moreover, 0W-16 is now becoming mainstream and 0W-20 is a "thick oil" now.

If I had a new car and was worried that 0W-16 or 0W-20 was too thin, I would probably only go up to a synthetic 5W-20, which usually has a base oil as thick as that of a 5W-40 and considerably thicker than that of a 5W-30 and the HTHS viscosity should be sufficient for most applications unless you are really pushing the vehicle to extremes.

Moreover, most new cars come with free-maintenance periods and you don't get a say on the oil choice.

So far I have used Mobil 1 0w-16 AFE year round (snow season and hot summer) on my Camry. I don't have any oil consumption problem. It is much cheaper than the TGMO and readily available at Wal-Mart. I pair it up with Fram Ultra. Works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back