These new self storage places

My older brother is a hoarder and refuses to throw away junk that he has no use for.

Over the years I gotten rid of stuff I no longer use or need. I hate clutter and crap.

Yup, a bit of corruption there too when the person doesnt pay their bill, "someone" roots through it before it goes to the obligatory auction / storage wars. Apparantly thats been good television for awhile now, but again it seems pretty rigged to me so I've avoided such auctions.
I remember an episode of Storage Wars were they opened a roll up unit and there was a paper stated “don’t open until April 18th” or something. Woops!

It seems these places are being built on every corner in my area. They seem to be all three stories with glass facades. I can only imagine what the monthly rates are in these new palaces. I guess storing people’s junk is big business and profitable these days.

View attachment 210598

View attachment 210599
I taljed to a guy years ago who built the garage style self-storage units. Apparently he's made a mint off of them.

I can't imagine renting storage.
I rent a unit every year for about 3 months. Have kids at the same college and rent it to store their stuff during the summer break and then empty it when they go back to school and move to another apartment. Makes sense and reduces a ton of clutter from home.

Short term storage of household goods while moving is the only sensible use of a storage unit. Otherwise, if the garage and attic are full, it is time for a trip to the thrift store drop station. You even get a tax deduction for it, if you keep good records and get a receipt.

Reactions: D60
Fortunately I love a good purge. Stuff builds up and it feels great to gather up the oldest/least likely to be used and get rid of it.

Why Assume it's junk. I have probably 150k of tools in my storage unit. Haven't had time to build more room at home

I had a storage unit for a while when I moved. It was just going to be a month or two while I got organized. Turned into a year haha. I could have tossed all that stuff and bought new in that time for the money wasted on storage. Anyway, now that stuff lives in the garage and I clean up one box worth every week. Eventually I’ll be down to no junk! I’ve sold, donated, tossed, so much since bringing the stuff into garage. When stuff is in storage it’s out of sight, out of mind and you don’t feel motivated to deal with it.

Back