These are just incredible numbers...2019 Model3

Off my head maybe something like Lancer Evo or Skyline GTR could do 3.2. Tank size doesn't matter much for gas car so maybe mpg is more useful, maybe 200 miles per tank would be expected.

Aren't many owners dumping their cars because of the inconvenience of charging on the road?
Most early EV owners lease them due to fear of battery deterioration and future model improvement dragging down residual value. The manufacturers lost the money leasing them, and it is wise to lease a new one or buy a Tesla in the end vs buying the older EVs at least end.

Plus the carpool lane sticker in California expire after 3 years, so many people decide to just least every 3 years for the carpool lane access instead of being eco friendly or save money on fuel. (they no longer have carpool lane stickers for new EV now that EVs are everywhere).

The number of EVs being turned in for ICE cars was about 20%, or 1 in 5. These are primarily the early EVs with lousy range, not Teslas.
The first gen Nissan Leaf had less than 80 mile range. And the battery rapidly degraded. Od course, the newer ones are far better.

My understanding regarding the charging issue, was people who lived in apartments, etc, who could not charge at home.
Elon built the charging network early on. It continues to expand world wide. How else can these cars be viable?
The new Leaves are still air cooled battery, still junk.

Are there any petrol powered sedans capable of 0-60 in 3.2 that get 310 miles per tank? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Batteries are like springs, they can dump power rapidly. The AWD setup ensures good traction, and the motor controls ensure no tire slip. Kind of hard to beat that.

However, as I keep saying, they don't go rated range on high speed highway trips. Far from it. From experience, 200 miles at Florida/Georgia speeds and you'd better find a charger.

A trip from West Palm Beach, FL to Jacksonville, FL is 300 miles, 4 hours 5 mins at the speed limit.
That same trip in a model 3 is 5 hours, with one charge in Port Orange. Not to mention the top off charge in Jacksonville that takes an hour.

If you drive like me, the 4 hour trip takes 3.5 hours. :)

Sooooo as amazing as that Tesla is, it is really slow on long trips.

How many miles are the current Tesla batteries designed for?
The better question is how many years will they last. Dendrites (tree-like spikes) form during charging AND over time in all Lithium batteries. There are promising technologies that hope to prevent dendrite growth, Tesla cells are among the worlds best with regard to chemistry, geometry and lifespan. Even so, cycle life is just one factor. And as of today, nobody has solved the dendrite problem.

The dendrite also reacts with the electrolyte (yes even solid ceramic electrolyte) and causes battery capacity loss.

Yuasa+Honda combined to make the Blue Energy brand, P/N EW5, EHW5. Currently used in the Accord Hybrid, that can take a stunning number of cycles. It has to, as the drive cycle requires it. Unfortunately, it's heavy and not energy dense enough (less than 80 watt hours per KG) for EV use. (If I were to guess, I'd say they simply spaced out the components)

Lithium-Dendrite-in-Lithium-Ion-Battery.jpg

Sooooo as amazing as that Tesla is, it is really slow on long trips.
I suppose it depends on the duration of the trip. On very long trips (say 6+ hours) that would require you to make a stop for food. You could hopefully time it so that the car recharges while you are grabbing something to eat.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on the duration of the trip. On very long trips (say 6+ hours) that would require you to make a stop for food you could hopefully time it so that the car recharges while you are grabbing something to eat.
The problem is that I don't need something to eat every 2.5 hours. Furthermore, the destination charge can be painful, as it might be near an hour to get enough charge to prevent 2 charge stops on the return.

the only thing I find incredible is a $64,000 price tag for what is usually a less than $30,000 car (that's slower).

Last edited:
the only thing I find incredible is a $64,000 price tag for what is usually a less than $30,000 car (but slower).
That is the only reason I don't own one. I'd put up with the highway trip charging delays, knowing that charging at home saves me from the pump twice a week. It's not a wash, but it's not as much of a waste of time as it would otherwise be.

I suppose it depends on the duration of the trip. On very long trips (say 6+ hours) that would require you to make a stop for food. You could hopefully time it so that the car recharges while you are grabbing something to eat.

The duration and a host fo other factors. One being - how you normally take a 6 hour trip, and what the charging infrastructure is like on the route.

I'n my case 465 in each direction - It doesn't alter my time by enough to matter I usually stop 2-3 times for food and to take a bio break

Some guys never stop and charge through, some guys routes have few chargers. Some guys tow or carry.

One size doenst come close to fitting all here.

The duration and a host fo other factors. One being - how you normally take a 6 hour trip, and what the charging infrastructure is like on the route.

I'n my case 465 in each direction - It doesn't alter my time by enough to matter I usually stop 2-3 times for food and to take a bio break

Some guys never stop and charge through, some guys routes have few chargers. Some guys tow or carry.

One size doenst come close to fitting all here.
I used to make such trip and only stop once for about 15-20 mins. Bathroom break, gas stop, cup of coffee, stretch, rotate drivers, then off I go.

Unless I can sleep in an EV and drive 45mpg while it self drive the trip, and top off half way in the lot, it would not make sense for me to drive a Tesla for this kind of trip.

It is why most "family" or "rich single guy" should really have at least 1 gas car / SUV that covers the non daily commute. You can get a 20mpg SUV that tow and go forever, and use it 3 times a year with horrible mpg and nobody would care. Some problems should be solved by owning 2 cars instead of one jack of all trade monster golf cart. So, stop trying to make Model 3 what it isn't and compare it against what it should not be.

It is why most "family" or "rich single guy" should really have at least 1 gas car / SUV that covers the non daily commute. You can get a 20mpg SUV that tow and go forever, and use it 3 times a year with horrible mpg and nobody would care. Some problems should be solved by owning 2 cars instead of one jack of all trade monster golf cart. So, stop trying to make Model 3 what it isn't and compare it against what it should not be.
This is what I’ve been saying…. They’re phenomenal daily drivers, but I wouldn’t really want to take one on a long road trip. Our next vehicle will likely be an EV simply because my wife doesn’t drive that far being a stay at home mom, probably a F-150 Lightning so I can back feed it into my house when we lose power, and for longer trips we’d still have a gas car…. Or BITOG’s favorite response of “just rent one.”

If you really only take extended trips once or twice a year, you can rent something. Considering registration, insurance and depreciation, you might be way ahead of the game.
Of course, each of us has our own needs, wants and budget.

This is going to happen, might as well embrace it. Hopefully bobisthebatteryguy.com is already reserved.

How else can these cars be viable?
Exactly this. And no other car maker, or electic utility is putting any money into the infrastructure. So in the end, electric cars fail to deliver the convenience of ICE vehicles.
I know, it's not about convienience entirely, but ultimately, how would you like to be running from a hurricane out on the parking lot they call I95, and needing a charge?

Most of the world's animals are sensible enough to minimize their exposure to risk by moving to somewhere safer.

Back