These are getting more rare every day

I bought a 2019 Ford Fiesta that has a 5-speed and manual windows, but it has power locks. I think they all have to have them because of a safety mandate that the doors all lock above a certain speed.
What if the safety mandate was that the car unlocks itself if it gets in a bad wreck?

I haven't been keeping up on my nannies. :whistle:

Those cars are super popular in the suburbs a ways from my home. I could easily see myself driving one if I lived in the city again. They look like they have a nice upright seating position compared to the standard typical econobox sedans.

A guy I worked with a long time ago divorced his wife, but somehow got her Kia sedan out of the settlement. He beat the living heck out of that car and abused it out of pure spite. (which is kind of a lame thing to do, to be honest). But that stupid little thing just wouldn't die even though he would drive it every day to work and trash on it both ways. I think he eventually gave up trying to destroy it and got rid of it. I had to change my idea of how horrible Kia cars could be based on stereotypes after seeing that thing live through near-literal hell. LOL

I don't think the locks are required to lock at all--not sure if Nissan is still selling the stripper Versa without power locks, but just a few years ago you could get one that way, complete with manual transmission. I *think* they all like to lock simply because of monkey-see, monkey do. "Many" think it's safer. Which was probably true in the older days, and I could see myself wanting that feature if I lived in a city. Maybe. Once power locks are added to a car it's probably a line or two of code.

I find the auto-lock annoying in my car (haven't gone digging around to find the wire that needs cutting); it simply locks when I start. My truck isn't so bad, it locks above a certain speed but unlocks when I shift into park, so it's actually pretty unobtrusive.

So true. I have zero need for my truck Everything i may need to haul can be hauled easier with my Savana cargo van. I just keep it around for fun and a few recreational trips. I guess i dont need my golf either. I could drive my van to work, its not that far. I certainly wont need the next car i buy in the future either.
Needs and wants can often be two entirely different things. We all splurge on items that are probably unnecessary - everyone just chooses to do it in different things.

I don’t have much use for my f150 anymore. Living in a new house I no longer have to tote all the stuff necessary to shore up my 105 year old house. The Ford really stuffs our 2 car garage too.
So without further ado here’s the solution to the problem⬇️⬇️⬇️ This base 2021 Kia Soul has a 6 speed manual, port fuel injection 2.0 liter 4 cylinder. It doesn’t have : auto stop/start, cylinder deactivation or rev hang. It also doesn’t have keyless entry or cruise control. It does have A/C and a very good radio (for base model) that has apple car play etc. I’m amazed at how much thought went into the design. The interior is very nice, not what you’d expect in a base car at all. Panel gaps are spot on and the paint is perfect (which I can’t say about my Ford). It steers, stops and rides well. Interior is quiet. The gear box is smooth even in cool weather. My note went from $488 to $188 with zero % financing. It does have hub caps; that may seem like a step down but one thing is for sure: come new tire time there’s no nice wheels to ruin. It also doesn’t have a sunroof which I love, for me simplicity is the key. It also has no problem keeping up with traffic, in fact coming home from the dealer I had to watch my speed, I was always 10 over. 5/60 bumper to bumper and 10 year 100,000 mile warranty just ices the cake. Made in Korea, not Mexico.
Honda needs to watch out, Kia / Hyundai are looking to take them over and if this base car is any indication, they’ll do it.
View attachment 34195
I didn't know they came with manuals

I'm so excited that so many people prefer "base" vehicles and MTs. (We've been shopping lately - quite contrary to vanos - for a cheap old 1 ton for occasional hauling, and our insistence on sticks really narrows the field. We'd been using borrowed pick ups or our Forester to pull our home made utility trailer. It doesn't complain, but the trailer weighs in at close to 1T, so I don't feel good about it.)

Power locks- Any car with power locks, I expect will try some day to lock me out. (None have succeded, but quite a few have tried.) CC- In my million-and-some-odd miles otr, I've found just two scenarios where I use it. If I'm crossing the country and am on an empty highway, and need to kick off my right shoe or briefly stretch my right shoe, I'll engage CC for the few seconds it takes. There were a few times when I was younger that I employed it to keep my speed up or down. As I got older I found that if my foot keeps slowing down, there's usually a reason, and if it keeps speeding up, there's no reason to slow down. :)

It is good to go with as economical a solution as works, and I'm glad DV has s.t. that's working. My only ride in a Soul was a test drive in a...~06 maybe? For me, it suffered the fatal flaw of poor visibility to the rear. I abhor the tiny rear windows that are now so in vogue (and so often supplemented with an assortment of cameras and tv monitors. My most formative cars were CRXs. In my '88 I had almost 360° unobstructed view of the pavement around me.). My good friend Joe made one suggestion that could win me over on backup cams - he suggested the monitor should be in a rear headrest, or somesuch place.

-I almost forgot the accessory that has gotten most under my skin the longest! Power steering. It's nice when one is maneuvering a heavy (e.g. bus, light truck) in a parking lot. And it's a good option for people with shoulder problems. And I am not criticizing or besmirching anyone who needs it. The reasons I so loathe PS are as follows: 1. In a normal sized passenger car, it's really unnecessary. Although it makes low-speed maneuvering (i.e. parallel parking) a little easier, modern passenger cars are so light that folks'd be surprised at how easily they'd steer. 2. The trade-offs for 1. are: A) slight additional weight; B) small but perpetual additional load on the engine; C) MUCH harder steering when PS fails, engine dies, etc; D) it affects road feel at the steering wheel (some are not too bad, but some are just awful - my mom's late model Accord had the steering feel of badly programmed arcade game); 3. What really burns me is that PS is SO ubiquitous that almost no one knows they don't need it. Imagine the day that only antique buffs have ever driven a car with a MT. So sad. :( Does anyone know of a mfr offering a car w/o? The last I knew of was a Nissan Sentra E, m.y. late 80s or early 90s. Excellent car.

Last edited:
Back