thermostat jiggle valve/pin positioning....

Status
Not open for further replies.
vehicle: 2002 toyota v8 tundra.

I just replaced the thermostat on my truck. my chilton manual states that the jiggle valve should be at the 12 o'clock (up) position. When i removed the factory thermostat, the jiggle valve was at the 6 o'clock position (down) - this was the original factory installed thermostat.

So i started searching the internet. everyone else says install the jiggle valve at the 12 position, but toyota (fsm) seems to say install it at the 6 position. several toyota techs have stated on posts that they have installed both ways; seems to not make any difference. I must note in searching the internet several folks have reported the exact same, ie, the original factory thermostat was installed from the factory in the 6 position.

ok, so what is the real story here? Is toyota the only car manufacturer that puts the jiggle pin at 6? Could this just be a long standing error in the toyota fsm and it really needs to go at the 12? Anybody really know?

I would say Toyota is known for knowing what they are doing. As a result, I would install the new one as the old one was.

-Rouphis

Hard to argue with the FSM; but my Ford's have it at 12. I would imagine air would bleed easier at the 12 position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back