The wife needs a new (used) car

Right, but you can get the full dealer repair manual which is the WIS and the electronic parts catalog (EPC) on eBay for about $10. So there are some things that are cheap on a Mercedes.
Don't they still have expensive low profile tires? 24k/year, not sure if that means the OP will go through a set per year, or every other, not sure how long tires on this platform last (my experience, on my cars, a 70k rated tire lasts 40k in my neck of the woods--YMMV of course).

I vote for Prius C. Had one get 77MPG while mildly hypermiling on a long highway trip. Normally expect easy 50mpg around town.
R.jpg

Right, but you can get the full dealer repair manual which is the WIS and the electronic parts catalog (EPC) on eBay for about $10. So there are some things that are cheap on a Mercedes.
For BMW INPA and ISTA diagnostic and repair softwares are free. You just need $100 used windows based laptop and $50 K-DCAN OBD cable.

When my wife drove 30k+ miles a year for work we got a new 2015 Passat TDI and loved it. Diesel was generally the same price as RUG back then and she tallied many 900+ mile tanks in it and she drives like Mario Andretti lol. Then Diesel gate hit 6 months after the purchase and we cashed out 2 years and three days from date of purchase with 62k on the clock and actually made money on the buyback. Diesel is of course now not the way to go.
Personally with that budget I'd go with a Camry. Highway miles are forgiving so with proper maintenance you're likely to get 300k or more out of one.

FWIW, my X3d would probably fit the bill nicely. Roomy, sporty to drive (stage 2 tune...), easy to park, safe, and quite frugal.

Although your budget is ~$10k and i'm selling for twice that.

Hybrids would be your next best choice.

Prius, Fusion with a 2.5 or a Fusion hybrid. My wife currently uses a Prius Prime as her commuter car but really wanted a Fusion Energi due to the better ride and handling of the platform and precious ownership experience with a Fusion. In the end we bought what was available and are happy with the Prius.

Mazda3? Nice simple competent NA car, and the hatch can carry some larger items still if needed and gets good mileage. Do some local searching and see what comes up in the $10k range, and be ready to spend a bit more to get a better car if needed. A $10k corolla with some maintenance records wouldn't be bad either.
2016 was the last year of the simple 4 cyl malibu as well. Should get close to 35mpg on the hwy if not lead footed.

Don't they still have expensive low profile tires? 24k/year, not sure if that means the OP will go through a set per year, or every other, not sure how long tires on this platform last (my experience, on my cars, a 70k rated tire lasts 40k in my neck of the woods--YMMV of course).
Depends on the tires you get. The Michelins I have on one car is rated for 45k and the other one I got Continentals Purecontact which are rated for 70k, previous owner had them on and he got at least 60k out of them.

Fifteen years ago, here on the forum there would already be a dozen recommendations for a Crown Victoria.
Maybe they've finally succumbed to rust and decrepitude....
Well the main problem with them is that they never came close to 35mpg.

Nothing is more expensive than a cheap Mercede$!
It's always funny how people who don't own one always say that. It's fine though, keeps the price down. Like anything, you have to do your research.

Well the main problem with them is that they never came close to 35mpg.
Oh, I agree, they probably don't. But it's funny if you remember where the forum's "Crown Vics for Everyone!" mantra came from.... I'll have to see if I can find the thread.

Back