The triple seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even realize we had a 777 in for maintenance. I kept looking over and wondering why all the people and equipment looked so small...then I saw the triple bogie landing gear and huge engines. This thing is a beast. It was a 300 series so, I think it had the extra big engines. 110,000 or 115,000 pounds of thrust each I believe. The whole place shook when it took off.

Thanks again for the wonderful pictures, looks like a graceful bird in a certain mechanical way.

Oh, and thanks for all your hard work on the job which keeps all the passengers safe. I'm not sure why the flying public doesn't get to here the praises sung of THE most important
part of the commercial airline business. The mechanics!

Last edited:
Those engines are gigantic. I flew on a 777 from Atlanta to Johannesburg, South Africa on Delta. It's kind of creepy being in the air for 16 hours with just 2 engines.

Wait until the 777-8, -9 start flying. The GE engines on those are supposed to have an even bigger fan than the ones on the GE90 currently on the -300's. I heard they are supposed to have a 134" fan diameter. The current GE90 has a 120" fan, not 100% sure but close I think.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Those engines are gigantic. I flew on a 777 from Atlanta to Johannesburg, South Africa on Delta. It's kind of creepy being in the air for 16 hours with just 2 engines.

My mother had the good fortune to make the same trip on an SAA A340, a type the 777 effectively killed.
I remember our first 777 flight about a dozen years ago. It seemed so large even though it was only a -200.
The 777 has been the true 747 replacement and there are few routes that require much diversion due to ETOPS twin requirements. It has range, it has capacity, it has good runway performance and it has speed. It also has a very strong safety record.
What more could you ask for in a large transport?
Imagine an unrestricted takeoff with those big GEs putting out their 115K pounds of thrust. Wouldn't happen very often but must be pretty awesome when it does.

Originally Posted By: Red00Jetta
Oh my... it's beautiful! I'm actually in school to be an A&P right now.

Good luck, have any idea where you want to work yet? I started in the military and got my license when I got out. Not a very forgiving industry. Went through a layoff last year, had to work out of state a few months, recently got a 1.5 year contract back home so life is good for now.

PM if you have any questions.

The GE90-115B holds the world record as the most powerful jet engine in production. The engine recorded a maximum thrust output of 127,900 lbs. The actual engine that was used to set the world record is now used for training at the GE facility in Cincinnati, Oh.

The Trent 800 isn't even close in the power production comparison to the GE90-115B. The Rolls Royce makes around 93,000 lbs of thrust while the GE makes 115,300 lbs of thrust.

My company uses Trent 800's on the 777-200ER which gives the aircraft a capability of approximately 8500 miles of range. On the 777-200LR that we fly we use the GE90-115B (derated to 110,000 lbs) for a range of approximately 10,000 miles.

The 777 is a beautiful bird, but so is the 787, and this one is the -900 model.
Hold on about 45 seconds in....http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=a5a_1434057727

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back