Boeing 727 thread (inspired from the Airbus thread)

I worked for a freight company many years ago and they put me through the B727 flight engineers training course as a way to familiarize technicians with the airplane. The 727 is in the last group of airplanes that required a flight engineer. The 727 would be considered underpowered today, with it's 3 relatively low thrust JT8D engines and a thrust to weight of more than 4 pounds per pound of thrust. (today, we tend to be at 3 to 1 for one engine inoperative, twin engine safety).

But despite its relatively modest thrust to weight, the plane performed quite well at common loads, and was very popular. Airlines loved them and so did many passengers. They were very fast, with a maximum mach number of 0.90 or 410KIAS. Although they would not cruise that fast, they would regularly cruise at M 0.85-86 and long range cruise was M 0.82. These are very respectable numbers in today's environment of generally slower planes. A service ceiling of 42,000, they would generally cruise in the the lower 30,000 foot range. This put them in slightly warmer air (where the speed of sound was higher) and when combined with the good Mach number, the TAS and ground speed was superb.

The cockpit was quite loud at these speeds, and sometimes passengers found the wind noise objectionable. However, as a general rule, the interior was very quiet and pleasant due to the aft mounted engines. Of course, the roar of those engines was always behind the plane, annoying the airport neighbors, but not the plane's passengers.

The wing had very effective leading edge devices and flaps. This allowed reasonable takeoff and approach speeds. And the significant 32 degree (B737 is 25 deg) wing sweep along with high wing loading, gave a very smooth and pleasant ride.

I would much rather ride in a 727 than any of the new crop of small regional jets that are so incredibly cramped, noisy and uncomfortable. For those who have never experienced a 727, they were more comfortable, far quieter, smoother and a whole bunch faster than many of the short haul planes today. Passengers knew the ride was going to be a good one, from the very start of the pushback from the gate. Smooth, quiet, refined.

20331583960_d63a98f7b6_b.jpg

4c330374abb5f93727792686d7315e47.jpg

dfb30999a4d445d91d01e443c688e520.jpg

3ab36133f212aeb236ccc39bc480e178--flight-deck-cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
I believe I flew on one either to SFO or OAK. This was Western Airlines back in the 70’s. I departed down the back stairs.

Awesome write up.

What would happen if 2 of the 3 engines failed, would it lose altitude incredibly fast?

Is any airline still flying 727's?

Back in the 90's, (then) USAir had 727 service from Charlotte to Denver. A little loud in the rear seats, but yeah, a sweet ride,

My brother is a pilot with a carrier , really don't want to say the name .His plane is 747-8F . 1 year from retirement , he says he is so tired of driving school buses .lol

Thanks for posting/ sharing!! Really enjoyable to read.

I thought the DC 10 was released about a decade after the 727, and the DC10 also required a flight engineer.

I remember climbing out of Colorado Springs in a 727 on a Saturday AM when one of the engines had what must have been a compressor stall. While the initial sensation was we were no longer climbing, I'm sure we just climbed a bit more slowly.

We kept going and the pilot came on in that usual calm, reassuring pilot voice and said that's why we have three engines.

Didn't fly on the 727 very often, so I remember this experience more than a number of uneventful DC9 / MD80 and other such flights over the years.

The 727 still remains my favorite airliner. I loved the quiet ride. I never felt comfortable riding in a DC-10 or MD-80. That crash in Chicago was a huge factor.

As a child I loved the look of these. Had the Aurora plastic model.

There was a FedEx 727 flying in and out of YWG not too many years ago.

Thanks for posting/ sharing!! Really enjoyable to read.

I thought the DC 10 was released about a decade after the 727, and the DC10 also required a flight engineer.
Think they upgraded later and the chair remained - I watched a BA pilot get up to strap in James A Baker III for landing
(pre 9-11) after he’d been up there chatting for a while …

Awesome write up.

What would happen if 2 of the 3 engines failed, would it lose altitude incredibly fast?

Is any airline still flying 727's?
Not only could the 727 fly just fine and maintain a reasonable altitude on one engine, if I remember correctly, we trained for single engine approaches!

I think the last airline 727 flight was a few years ago. Maybe in other countries they still fly passengers.

These were always my favorite planes as a kid. They look like a hot rod, even sitting still. My parents and I flew Eastern fairly regularly. Was so happy to get the opportunity to non-rev in one while I was a flight attendant in 1995, my last flight being in first class from Dallas to Shreveport. So smooth and quiet up front, but almost intolerable in the back. Was sorry to see them relegated to freight.

The B727 was one of those "built like a tank" machines. They were old school but fun to work on. They had the old JT8D-15 engines that sounded like a fighter jet when they took off. I loved to watch them rotate on a wet runway as the #2 engine shot up a rooster tail. Toward the end of their life cycle we had to install hush kits on all of the planes because they were so loud that they were banned in most major cities. Here's a pic of a hush kitted -15 where you can notice the large extension on the exhaust duct.

The Cooper vane was added after the famous DB cooper escape in which the air stairs were opened in flight. The vane was a simple yet effective means to essentially block the door with a wedge so it couldn't be opened at high speed.
B727 hush kit.JPG
Cooper vane.JPG

I loved being a passenger on the 727! They had the most comfortable seats of all the planes I was a passenger on from 1988 - 1998 (DC-10, DC-8, 737, DC-9). I would try and book my flights (for work primarily) so I could get a seat on as many 727s that I could. They were truly an awesome jet!

Never flew on one, but growing up near the airport you could always tell when one was talking off. Those and DC9s always had snapping snarly exhausts.

Back