The time has come. I’m going to change my oil myself again.

Free oil changes are over. 3 years worth. F150 3.3. I bought PP 5W20 and a Fram ultra guard oil filter. The washer on my drain plug , is it the kind I change out every time ? Or a metal/ rubber coated style. Had that on my thunderbird. If I should replace it , where’s the go to place to get some. Thanks Wardawg.

Attachments

• D8A911DE-0480-496F-A05C-D8A9C13BE7E5.jpeg
    D8A911DE-0480-496F-A05C-D8A9C13BE7E5.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 30
i had a 2018 with the 3.5. Is that what you have? Mine was a plastic drain plug on a plastic pan.

Attachments

• 08E3C559-7626-4D4C-9035-7FFDB55C9ED0.jpeg
    08E3C559-7626-4D4C-9035-7FFDB55C9ED0.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 76
They had that in 2018. A plastic oil pan also. I believe. Mine (2019) they changed back to a steel or at least metal oil pan with a normal steel plug. This is on the 3.3 n/a engine.

Would you let them do warranty work for you or are you gonna knock that out yourself? And if the the warranty work required the oil to be drained and refilled? 😱
I have done some stupid recall stuff myself. Some stuff that is more to just check, and others that are for simple things to fix. I avoid the dealer like the plague.

The 3.3 aren't like the ecoboosts with all the plastic crap which is lovely.

I don't know what kind of bolt it has but i know what you mean. The ones on my gm trucks have that rubber ring embedded so you never have to use a washer. But i also reuse the washer on other vehicles that don't have that. Haven't had an issue.

So what's your average mpg. Does it have the 6 or 10 speed.

It may have been worth buying a six pack for the last tech that serviced your truck and in exchange have him school you on how to DIY. Or, at the very least, allow you to witness that last "free" oil change.

The 3.3 aren't like the ecoboosts with all the plastic crap which is lovely.

I don't know what kind of bolt it has but i know what you mean. The ones on my gm trucks have that rubber ring embedded so you never have to use a washer. But i also reuse the washer on other vehicles that don't have that. Haven't had an issue.

So what's your average mpg. Does it have the 6 or 10 speed.
It has the 6 speed. I have no complaints with the engine or transmission shift points. I can pull 24-26 mpg if I let it roll at 65 mph. It’s flat land where I live and drive mostly. It’s not the engine for everyone. I’m not hauling or towing heavy loads. Mulch and a washer/ drier type stuff. 3.3 n/a dual injection ( direct and multiport ) . I hate the start stop. I turn it off every time I get in. Tiny inconvenience. Cheers Wardawg

Attachments

• A80C4B2A-4E10-4D7E-B8E3-0BEFF56227ED.jpeg
    A80C4B2A-4E10-4D7E-B8E3-0BEFF56227ED.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 10
i NEVER change oil plug washers on anything BUT put oil resistant loktite on the plug threads after dripping stops, retired so i let it drain a while + always drain HOT

Loctite on a drain plug? Are you actually dumb?
There's different ones, I'm sure he's not using the red which you'd have to use heat to break that stuff loose, they also have blue, green, and purple all with different strengths.

Not something I recommend but to each his own.

Depending on the plug you have I would advise to buy OEM Ford parts. I know that on other vehicles the non OEM parts do not stack up. Dorman is especially bad. On my Chevys nothing is nearly as robust as the genuine GM parts, I assume its the same for Ford.

Heh, on our hybrid, I think it had free service for 25k? 30k? no idea, I never went back. Decided I'd rather do rotations and oil changes on "my time" instead of booking an appointment. Next new car (as if!) will likely be the same.

Back