The Sullivan Brothers

I grew up about 10 miles from Waterloo and frequently drive past the museum named after the 5 Sullivan brothers. The brothers are honored and respected in the area to this day. It makes me proud that they haven't been forgotten.

Heavy Toll, I must have watched "The Fighting Sullivans" the movie at least a dozen times when it showed on TV.
I enjoyed the movie too. No better or higher honor than to name a U.S. NAVY destroyer after them as well 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

91A000D4-018F-47D8-95CB-5447CC44EB2A.jpeg

When I was a young boy my mom was friends with Joe Hartney who was one of the 10 survivors of the sinking of the USS Juneau. He told me the story of his survival, his time in the life raft and of landing on a small island that was inhabited by cannibals who had luckily given up their ways when Christian missionaries had come to the islands sometime earlier. I believe it was an Australian coast watcher that made contact with the survivors and was able to get them rescued.

A great book on the subject is Left To Die by Dan Kurzman. 687 men died from the Juneau, either from the initial explosion after being torpedoed, or from injuries or sharks while in the water after the Juneau sank.

Joe obtained a pilots license after the war and had a career as an investigator of airplane accidents. He owned a P51 Mustang that had been converted to a 2 seater. He took me flying one day out of Chino airport in a dual control training plane that was owned by his friend the legendary stunt pilot Art Scholl and showed me some basics of flying an airplane. It was quite a thrill. I sure wish he had taken me up in his Mustang !

Led to the Navy’s policy that siblings can’t serve on the same vessel.

Back