Move over Florida! Iowa is ranked the best place to retire - while Alaska, New York and California come out worst

I wonder if the Bankrate author has ever been to Iowa in January? I have. No offense to Iowegians, they are great folks, but I have no interest in ever living there.

I love living in CA. There are many great places to live in America. There is so much opportunity, so much going on.
I owe CA and Silicon Valley so much.
No, you owe the big tech corporate lobbyists so much, not CA or Silicone Valley. The lobbyists that have succeed in restraining trade, providing big tech immunities from improper trade practices, and ensuring restraint of trade thus support oligopolies in big tech.

Maybe it would be better and appropriate to thank the working people from Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, Ohio, Mississippi, etc- who are forced to indirectly subsidize your salary through restraint of trade and barriers to entry business as a result of the big tech lobbyist out of California.

No, you owe the big tech corporate lobbyists so much, not CA or Silicone Valley. The lobbyists that have succeed in restraining trade, providing big tech immunities from improper trade practices, and ensuring restraint of trade thus support oligopolies in big tech.

Maybe it would be better and appropriate to thank the working people from Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, Ohio, Mississippi, etc- who are forced to indirectly subsidize your salary through restraint of trade and barriers to entry business as a result of the big tech lobbyist out of California.
We are the 4th largest economy in the world, by ourselves. I'm not sure you want to argue which states contribute the most to the country from an economic standpoint.

I owe my paycheck to the low cost quality education and opportunities here. I did the work, day and night, but without the opportunity there is nothing to do, right?

You say some people are subsidizing my salary? Wanna compare tax burdens? And I am not the one sniveling...

I'm not sure you want to argue which states contribute.
Think you may want to reword that to state which state sends the most pxxxxxxxxns to WDC, and which state with its massive block colludes with Illinois, New York, Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut and a few others to have legislation passed that keeps your big check coming in..... at the expense of free trade, barriers to entry, and immunity from lawsuits from unfair trade practices.

Again, you need to thank big tech corporate lobbyists for your big paycheck, and also thank the working folks from many states to include Ohio, South Dakota, Missouri, Indiana and many others being forced to succumb to the indirect subsidization of your massive pay check that you enjoy talking about.

Big tech didn't make you rich- big tech corporate lobbyist did......

I wouldn't live in CA if it was given to me. And I hate like he!! so many have moved to Texas and are voting Texas into a new CA. IA wouldn't be my first choice but it would at least be on the suspect list.

Reactions: GON
I wouldn't live in CA if it was given to me. And I hate like he!! so many have moved to Texas and are voting Texas into a new CA. IA wouldn't be my first choice but it would at least be on the suspect list.

Personally-Texas could use a little more diversity....IMHO.

I was in Arlington a couple times in the past years. Very nice, polite, kind people everywhere I went. I paid like $2 for gas at Costco!
Mansions for $400K (who is gonna clean it?). But it seemed many people stayed indoors due to the heat humidity. Dunno about the winters; I wasn't there then. What was striking to me was, you can see so far; it is flat where we have mountain ranges all around. The evening skies were breathtaking.

I love living in CA. There are many great places to live in America. There is so much opportunity, so much going on.
I owe CA and Silicon Valley so much.

CA is a wonderful state, and despite it's detractors, is often a great, heck, nearly ideal place to be. It however, becomes less than ideal at lower income levels, a normal "retiree" might really struggle. A singular example, one of many: Vehicles can become a burden to maintain and feed, and don't pass the worlds most stringent emissions inspections. Leading to costs that far exceed oh, what it would cost in Florida, with 40% lower gas prices and no annual vehicle/emissions inspections, and no Vehicle License Fee.

CA is more safe than FL for motorists, and more polluted due to geography.

CA is a wonderful state, and despite it's detractors, is often a great, heck, nearly ideal place to be. It however, becomes less than ideal at lower income levels, a normal "retiree" might really struggle. A singular example, one of many: Vehicles can become a burden to maintain and feed, and don't pass the worlds most stringent emissions inspections. Leading to costs that far exceed oh, what it would cost in Florida, with 40% lower gas prices and no annual vehicle/emissions inspections, and no Vehicle License Fee.

I've never had a vehicle fail a California Smog Check test other than one where I hadn't driven it in a while and the ECU didn't meet all the checklist requirements. It was probably my fault for not checking, as my own code reader would have been able to know that they didn't have all the requirements. Otherwise, it's remarkably easy to pass the test now. It's solely plugging into the OBD-II port and checking the emissions self-test results, along with a visual test of stuff under the hood. There's usually no tailpipe test required.

When I bought my WRX, it was exempt from the test for 4 years. And the requirement is every 2 years as well as when there's an ownership change. I did opt to get a test after 2 years because there was some funky "fee" to bypass a normal biennial test.

And yeah - I don't get the trashing of any particular state. It all seems really tribal. Every place has its own problems.

I've never had a vehicle fail a California Smog Check test other than one where I hadn't driven it in a while and the ECU didn't meet all the checklist requirements.

I think it's quaint that they still require 40-year-old vehicles to get emissions tests.

I don't get the hate for CA. I love all the states, even though I haven't seen them all. CA has been good to me.
Now, if you try and move anywhere near the Bay Area, housing is gonna kill you. But if you lived and worked here, and purchased a home, you could sell your property and realize a nice gain on your investment. Maybe million$...

I can tell you the baby boomers who moved here for work are retiring and selling their properties. They ain't going back to those Mid West winters...

And thank you for the kind words @Cujet CA welcomes you for a nice ride thru the Big Sur...
1692920251251.png

1692920469179.png

Last edited:
No doubt, there’s some crazy laws in California that are destroying the state.

California is more than just Silicon Valley and nice beaches.

No doubt, there’s some crazy laws in California that are destroying the state.

California is more than just Silicon Valley and nice beaches.
The legislation in California many times does not stop at the California border. I will stop posting in this thread as I am crossing lines and that is not being respectful nor honoring what BITOG simply requests we do not do.

I wonder if the Bankrate author has ever been to Iowa in January? I have. No offense to Iowegians, they are great folks, but I have no interest in ever living there.
No disagreement here. When I helped load the moving truck in December of 2022 when I left CA, it was 70 degrees. When I arrived in IA in January of 2003, it was 4 degrees and snowed 6”.

I absolutely love CA and regularly dream of moving back. The people, at least where I lived in Hanford, were welcoming and great people. My friends from there tell me coming back would not be a good financial decision. They are born and bred Californians who will go down with the ship (their words, not mine).

I’m also never moving back to IL for similar reasons. Politics drives the problems in both states, but CA really is an amazing place. IL is great south of I-80

The pictures are stolen from the web. They are a couple of my favorite places to visit in CA.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpeg
    IMG_0602.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0601.jpeg
    IMG_0601.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 3
Back