The Silverado just took one for me, I walked away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About four hours ago, I got rear ended in the Silverado, by a guy doing about 30 miles an hour in a Jeep Wrangler. I was stopped to make a left hand turn. All of my tail lights were working, my turn signal was on, and I had a red LED strip underneath my tailgate lit up. He apparently didn't see me.

The Silverado isn't doing too well. The bed has been pushed forward into the cab. The tailgate is now crescent shaped (and was hanging by the straps), and the driver's side wall of the bed has been pushed out, and the floor of the bed is buckled. The rear bumper has been pushed in as well.

I've got a stiff neck and back, I'll be seeing my Chiropractor as soon as he can see me tomorrow.

I was hit so hard, that tools in the bed of the truck were broken. I have a cordless drill that is snapped into two pieces, and a battery charger with a busted case. Inside of the cab, absolutely nothing is where it was before. My sunglasses were laying under the rear seat (they had been on the dash). A portable Uniden scanner that was clipped to the sun visor was underneath the back seat as well.

I even had two sandbags that I had in the bed for extra weight bust open.

The only thing that helped, was when I realized that he wasn't going to get it stopped, was that I already had my foot off the brake, and had the gas pedal mashed to the floor (and had just started to move forward again) when he hit me. I had also yanked the steering wheel to the right, and ended up half way in the ditch (I didn't want him to push me into oncoming traffic traveling towards me at 55 mph).

Of course, he was ticketed by the State Police, and does appear to have insurance.

It could have been a lot, LOT worse. But when you can walk away from something like this, I'm not going to complain.

I'm really glad that I wasn't in something like a Chevy Cobalt or a Honda Civic.

HOLY CRIPES!

I'm glad you were able to walk away from it. I've seen quite a few people hauled away on a gurney after such a crash.

wow hope you feel better... sometimes big is better... not always i saw an old honda civic broadside a pickup and flip it... of course the honda was totaled but the guy driving it got out and fled on foot i was told

All I can say is WOW !! I'm glad your ok. I too got in an accident though it was yesterday at about 1:45 pm. I was driving my dad's Tundra with his 7'x16' landscaping trailer in tow, loaded down with 8 12' & 12 8' sheets of 1/2" sheetrock. It had just started snowing, and I was slowing for a (almost) 90 degree corner. This little asian woman in a Versa sedan coming the other way crossed the center line, and clipped the truck. Damage to the truck is superficial. Just a scrape on the fender flare, and a few scuffs on the bumper. The Versa, not so much. The left rear quarter of her car got crunched pretty good, and it broke her tail light. The cop said it was due to weather conditions, so I don't know who's insurance is gonna pay for it. But at least everyone is ok.

Last edited:
I am very glad you were not in a little throw away car...Glad you were not hurt to bad.

I am always telling people about the dangers of little cars and it usually falls on deaf ears...But my family listened.

I saw a Corolla T-Boned awhile back...The fire department had to put the car on a flatbed to take the bodies [4] out back at the firehouse...I will never forget it.

Thank goodness you're alright! That's all that matters.

11.gif

Glad to know you are OK and had sense to do what you could to lessen the damage to yourself and your truck when you saw the other guy coming. The truck can be replaced or fixed, but with yourself it's good to know you survived a pretty bad wreck.

A couple witnessed the accident and stayed to give a statement to the State Police.

Come to find out, I had dated their daughter for several months, a little over 20 years ago.

I thought he looked familiar...

Yikes, I'm glad to hear your ok. It is nice to have a big car. When we lived in Hawaii my mom was rear ended in the expedition by a Corolla being driven by a tourist on her cell phone. She hit at roughly 45MPH (Mom was stopped at a red light). The corolla was totalled, the only damage to the truck was a few scratches on the bumper and a slightly bent hitch.

Sorry about the silvy, but glad to hear that you are okay.

When things like this happen it makes me want to add an SUV to my fleet even more....

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Come to find out, I had dated their daughter for several months, a little over 20 years ago.

Lesson? A father's payback for dating his little girl can arrive at any time. There is no expiration date...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Lesson? A father's payback for dating his little girl can arrive at any time. There is no expiration date...
grin2.gif

LOL I think I'll keep that it mind now...

Thank goodness you're in one piece ..albeit a bit beat up. You'll have all kinds of muscle spasms and whatnot. The trauma tenses all those muscles in one massive jolt. Half of them probably weren't up to the task. They'll let you know.

Glad you're alright bud & sorry to hear about the truck. Like most are saying, good thing you were in that rather than a tiny little subcompact. If my Tercel got hit like that by a Jeep it would get tossed like a football and probably land me in the hospital for a good long stay or perhaps worse.

Yet one more reason my next car will be a much bigger one. Small cars are fun to drive but as time goes on I find them less and less practical, uncomfortable (I'm a tall guy) and definitely less crash-worthy.

The truck is replaceable unlike us humans, and it definitely took care of you on this one.

Last edited:
If you are in physical pain from the accident do you-self a favor and find out who the best Physiatrist doctor in you area is. A Physiatrist is a doctor who specializes in treating people with physical pain.

Not to be confused with a Psychologist doctor who treats people with mental sickness.

Originally Posted By: rshunter

grin2.gif

No no no... He was a witness to the accident. He did me a favor by hanging around and giving a statement to the State Police...

He and I got along just fine back when I dated his daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back