The roof/top of my 2008 Nissan Titan?

DR1

On Dec 1st I am taking my truck to the body shop and have several areas repainted. I live in Central Florida and the top on my truck has suffered.
The roof is one area I was planning on having repainted. The point is that the only part of the roof that I can see or anyone else can see is when you look at the truck while standing in the front looking at the top just that one area of the roof is visible unless you are 10 foot tall then you might can see the entire roof.

So with all the great and wise minds here on this website I propose a question. Should I spend the money on having the roof/top painted?
I don't want to do a wrap because that cost as much as the paint work and the wrap doesn't even last as long as the paint.
I am trying to spend the least amount but cover the top to protect it so it doesn't completely rust out on me. Then I will have more headaches!

Last week I painted my old truck's rooftop. I didn't realize how bad it was because I could not see it from the ground. It will rust like any other part of a vehicle, so I would paint it if I were you.

Reactions: DR1
Around here I know a few people with work trucks and cargo vans who simply sanded down their roof and went over with primer, then Raptor Liner/Line-X/or whatever bedliner one desires. (Just don't use Herculiner. That one fades away in 3-5 years max. Some as fast as a year.) Bedliner is always black, regardless of the truck/cargo van exterior color. Just a cheaper option, usually doesn't look bad, but all a matter of personal preference.
Edit: Raptor Liner seems to be the most UV resistant, doesn't fade.

Last edited:
My '76 Ford E-100, yes, not an E-150 though that's what the nameplate said, was medium blue with a 65% rusted top.
A small shop prepped and painted it with Imron (heavy duty truck/excavation equipment paint) in white.
I wanted white for the light reflection.
What color is your Titan ?

They can mix Imron in any color you want, getting someone to mix and spray it is another thing. My paint guy wont even mix it, he said it makes him sick every time he did it and it is not cheap. The paint is bad enough but it is the thinner, accelerator and hardener that makes it a real bugger to use. It is tough stuff though, polyurethane.

Nissan had crappy paint during those years. Its not white by chance - that was the worst.

Yes you should paint it. If you keep it you will be happy you did, if you sell it then it will likely pay for itself. Whether you pay someone else to do it or hatch up your own DIY plan, so long as you neutralize or get rid of any rust and seal it then your mission accomplished.

On Dec 1st I am taking my truck to the body shop and have several areas repainted. I live in Central Florida and the top on my truck has suffered.
The roof is one area I was planning on having repainted. The point is that the only part of the roof that I can see or anyone else can see is when you look at the truck while standing in the front looking at the top just that one area of the roof is visible unless you are 10 foot tall then you might can see the entire roof.

So with all the great and wise minds here on this website I propose a question. Should I spend the money on having the roof/top painted?
I don't want to do a wrap because that cost as much as the paint work and the wrap doesn't even last as long as the paint.
I am trying to spend the least amount but cover the top to protect it so it doesn't completely rust out on me. Then I will have more headaches!
I put some money into repainting spots on my 04 that spent its entire life outside in the california sun.

Way cheaper than a new truck with equal or greater towing capacity, still holding up mechnically.

White paint was thinner than pizs on a plate.

My '76 Ford E-100, yes, not an E-150 though that's what the nameplate said, was medium blue with a 65% rusted top.
A small shop prepped and painted it with Imron (heavy duty truck/excavation equipment paint) in white.
Silver

Paint it all or none of it. It's gonna fade on the tops of the fenders and doors later. I have a coworker with a red Titan that almost had the roof and hood painted 2 years ago, it's spread the fading down now.

Paint it all or none of it. It's gonna fade on the tops of the fenders and doors later. I have a coworker with a red Titan that almost had the roof and hood painted 2 years ago, it's spread the fading down now.
It's interesting you say that. I have been thinking the very same thing all day and it has had me all stressed out. I don't have the money to paint the whole truck. It is so very tempting to go to Maaco and get the premium package and have the whole truck done for like $2K. There premium paint jobs is 3 coats of primer,3 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clearcoat. They give you a 5 year warranty with it.

Body shop prices have skyrocketed - likely since with the pandemic more cars are now worth fixing than writing off with the price increases, not to mention finding another car is a pain. How bad is it - post up some pics?

As for painting the entire thing - I disagree. Proper base / clear shouldn't fade. Of course it should not have rusted on top either, so there is that, but if that is the only problem and the rest is good, fix your problem. What was the quote for just the top? Did you get more than 1 price - shops that are too full already will just throw a high price out there in case your dumb enough to take it.

Body shop prices have skyrocketed - likely since with the pandemic more cars are now worth fixing than writing off with the price increases, not to mention finding another car is a pain. How bad is it - post up some pics?

As for painting the entire thing - I disagree. Proper base / clear shouldn't fade. Of course it should not have rusted on top either, so there is that, but if that is the only problem and the rest is good, fix your problem. What was the quote for just the top? Did you get more than 1 price - shops that are too full already will just throw a high price out there in case your dumb enough to take it.
I didn't get a quote just for the top only. Mquote included the hood,the roof,and blending in a few areas on the side of my truck. That total was $1,680.00 . I am just afraid the blending areas will stick out like a sore thumb along with my hood sticking out too. The roof you really cant see all that well.

I didn't get a quote just for the top only. Mquote included the hood,the roof,and blending in a few areas on the side of my truck. That total was $1,680.00 . I am just afraid the blending areas will stick out like a sore thumb along with my hood sticking out too. The roof you really cant see all that well.
Well, if a bunch is bad then yes, I might consider doing all of it.

Maco is really hit or miss though, and they don't use very great materials. From what I have heard its a 5 year paint job max sorta thing. Maybe less.

Nothing unusual for an E100. They were available through the early 80's. Just a shorter lighter payload version of E150. Paint back then on Ford trucks was bad and had issues after just a few years.

Back