Dealer tells me my vin is invalid?

Usually the Big 3s just need the last 8 of the VIN on anything mid 90s and newer. At least I do for Ford and Mazda.

But I can say without any doubt whatsoever that a PCM on anything that old would be obsolete if it was a Ford.
Yeah that's all they ask me for.

Gonna have to probably buy a whole new ecm now because I sent it to some repair company that's seems super shady. I need to learn to keep stuff like that local. Ebay bites me in the ass again🙄 I don't get how they always have 100 percent positive reviews, then you look at reviews on the real internet and its the complete opposite

Last edited:
Gonna have to probably buy a whole new ecm now because I sent it to some repair company that's seems super shady. I need to learn to keep stuff like that local. Ebay bites me in the ass again🙄 I don't get how they always have 100 percent positive reviews, then you look at reviews on the real internet and its the complete opposite
It sucks how untrustworthy eBay has gotten. The bigger the company gets the worse it gets with them.

It sucks how untrustworthy eBay has gotten. The bigger the company gets the worse it gets with them.

Idk I think now that we have amazon, ebay isn't as big as it once was. Ebay was once the go to place online, but that was probably 10 years ago. Imo the more desperate a company becomes, the more this sort of thing happens. Years ago they would have kicked a seller off completely. I'm still going to look in more places for a vin, but I feel better now atleast that hopefully that vin is the one that goes with the truck.

Idk I think now that we have amazon, ebay isn't as big as it once was. Ebay was once the go to place online, but that was probably 10 years ago. Imo the more desperate a company becomes, the more this sort of thing happens. Years ago they would have kicked a seller off completely. I'm still going to look in more places for a vin, but I feel better now atleast that hopefully that vin is the one that goes with the truck.
That could be true, I didn't think of it from that angle. Have you seen what happens if you try to pull a Car Fax? Not a paid for one, but to enter it and see what it pops up when it asks to to pay if you want more info? It should give you some basic info without paying for it.

That could be true, I didn't think of it from that angle. Have you seen what happens if you try to pull a Car Fax? Not a paid for one, but to enter it and see what it pops up when it asks to to pay if you want more info? It should give you some basic info without paying for it.
Yeah I just typed it in. it said they found 69 records, then they want $45.99 for the report.

Sounds like it’s entirely on the manufacturer’s end then.
Yeah I guess so. I never pulled a carfax when I bought it back in June. It's 24 years old, I paid $9500 for it and after 24 years, no telling what's been done to a vehicle. I didn't really even care if it had been wrecked either, didn't even ask lol Figured I got a good enough deal on it that I could pay to fix whatever was wrong with it if needed. I just wanted to find the correct vin number so they could put it into the new ecm.

Last edited:
you definitely need to post who that seller is on ebay.. so that at the very least, you can help others to not buy from them!

Reactions: D60
Ebay needs to be notified about this seller you used. If you didn't get your ECM back from the seller (which it looks like you didn't) you should file a claim for reimbursement of the entire ECM. IMO its better for them to make a customer happy in these situations because, as said, people are likely to steer away even further from them in favor of Amazon if; 1) the sellers cannot be trusted and 2) eBay would back up a sale gone bad. Make sure they know that u communicated this concern on BOG and the consensus was that you we duped and treated unfairly. Good luck with that! Post here again need a good ECM for ...... Maybe someone has one.

Funny, I was just poking around a '98 Ram extra cab 4x4 yesterday with my old Modis to retrieve ABS codes.

Anyway it identified the VIN fine but I second guessed it because I always ASSumed this vehicle had the 360 like every other 2nd Gen 1500 I service. It actually has the 5.2. I was so skeptical I went looking at emissions stickers on the front clip, and sure enough I've been wrong all the years I've serviced this truck! It is indeed a 5.2 (and the stickers stare you right in the face, had I ever bothered to read).

Anyway, is the ECM dead-dead? I'd love to see a dealer see a quality scanner identify the VIN on its screen and still insist it's invalid. Speaking of....SWMBO often tells me I'm an invalid....hmmmm....

Do you have the title with the VIN? How can you insure it without a VIN?

yes I do. The only place I've been able to identify a vin is in the glovebox. It just threw some red flags, but as I posted above it comes up when I type it into carfax or any other VIN ID type website so I don't know. I was just hoping to find a more permanent spot on the truck to locate the VIN.

yes I do. The only place I've been able to identify a vin is in the glovebox. It just threw some red flags, but as I posted above it comes up when I type it into carfax or any other VIN ID type website so I don't know. I was just hoping to find a more permanent spot on the truck to locate the VIN.
Oh I see! Thanks for the info.

Ebay needs to be notified about this seller you used. If you didn't get your ECM back from the seller (which it looks like you didn't) you should file a claim for reimbursement of the entire ECM. IMO its better for them to make a customer happy in these situations because, as said, people are likely to steer away even further from them in favor of Amazon if; 1) the sellers cannot be trusted and 2) eBay would back up a sale gone bad. Make sure they know that u communicated this concern on BOG and the consensus was that you we duped and treated unfairly. Good luck with that! Post here again need a good ECM for ...... Maybe someone has one.
Ebay doesn't back customers up. One time I bought tires off them and they wouldn't refund my money because they had a delivery confirmation, but no tires to be found. Called the credit card company and they gave me my $400 back

Ebay doesn't back customers up. One time I bought tires off them and they wouldn't refund my money because they had a delivery confirmation, but no tires to be found. Called the credit card company and they gave me my $400 back
I buy from Amazon most of the time plus I get credits for buying with the Amazon credit card. I have had several shaky deals with eBay. The power sellers on eBay are much more legitimate and I always check for good feedback. I had a set of brand new tires and wheels for my Ford F-150 delivered by FedEx to an address a block away. Our addresses and locations are very similar and it has happened a couple times with deliveries. I agree eBay doesn't back their customers up very well and it's good you were able to get your $400 back.

Back