The Origins Of The Hayabusa

Well, I watched the intro video, and one from MCN.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

Same engine displacement, a bit less peak power due to Euro 5 emissions. It will make a nice touring bike I guess.

I'll be keeping my nasty hot rod 1st gen, for a long time.

i thought the video was poorly done and lackluster at best.

borderline lame for a 'busa let alone the new gen 'busa

seriously nonplused and let down :(

After going to bed disappointed, I've had more time to process this. At one point the engineers acknowledge untapped potential... So that hints at relying somewhat on the aftermarket to unleash what they officially can't under strict regulations...

The quick shifter is nice, cruise control is nice when you have to drone along to get to the next set of twisties. I'm not a fan of combined braking, I absolutely hated it on my CBR1100XX. This is no doubt a better implemented system, but hopefully that can be turned off.

So, I guess it's a wait and see how it performs.

Right now I feel like Suzuki engineers don't understand what owners would want in a new bike.

The Official Suzuki intro video

The development of the 3rd gen Hayabusa

The MCN video

Last edited:
Suzuki went full bore on the electronic gizmos. I like the styling better than the 2nd Gen Busa.

Reality is the development of all that electronic stuff is paid for. $4000 more than the old model??? Most manufacturers bump displacement to offset the Euro 5 compliance. I expected the new KLR650 to stay pretty much old school, and they held the line on price even with upgrades. The Hayabusa has some great history, hopefully the nostalgia is enough to open up people’s wallets.

Reality is the development of all that electronic stuff is paid for. $4000 more than the old model??? Most manufacturers bump displacement to offset the Euro 5 compliance. I expected the new KLR650 to stay pretty much old school, and they held the line on price even with upgrades. The Hayabusa has some great history, hopefully the nostalgia is enough to open up people’s wallets.

I still have my deposit down, but that could change. I do know that a lot of current 'Busa owners and potential buyers of the 3rd gen are underwhelmed right now. Maybe it will prove to be better than us owners think.

The full specs are up on Suzuki's site.
The biggest disappointment is that you can only set a maximum of 125mph on the cruise control. :LOL:

The full specs are up on Suzuki's site.
The biggest disappointment is that you can only set a maximum of 125mph on the cruise control. :LOL:
Biggest disappointment, probably not much with respect to reality, is lower hp and torque. Claiming it’s faster accelerating could be better fueling but I am sure fueling had been worked out by now. It’s likely they added a tooth or two in the rear? I like the idea of the more aerodynamic bodywork and yet keeping the same look as the old one. I don’t know that the new technology for upgrades, needed to meet the euro emissions, is really that much with respect to an improvement for the owner. Sounds impressive with the list of changes to the parts but it didn’t really do anything other than make a higher priced bike, guys are underwhelmed it appears.

With that said, the fact that Euro 5 drove the changes, it’s probably a better selling unit over there than here.

Biggest disappointment, probably not much with respect to reality, is lower hp and torque. Claiming it’s faster accelerating could be better fueling but I am sure fueling had been worked out by now. It’s likely they added a tooth or two in the rear? I like the idea of the more aerodynamic bodywork and yet keeping the same look as the old one. I don’t know that the new technology for upgrades, needed to meet the euro emissions, is really that much with respect to an improvement for the owner. Sounds impressive with the list of changes to the parts but it didn’t really do anything other than make a higher priced bike, guys are underwhelmed it appears.

With that said, the fact that Euro 5 drove the changes, it’s probably a better selling unit over there than here.

According to my dealer friend, by far the biggest market for the 'Busa has been the USA. Particularly the Drag Racing crazy southeast.

I should amend what I said then, it sells enough over there to cater to that lowest common denominator in respect to emissions and subsequently performance. It’s a very high performance bike, so it’s just picking nits really but if the biggest market is the USA and customers for this new version are already not impressed, it’ll be hard to justify the almost $4,000 uptick in price. The used market for the Hayabusa may prove very strong.

Biggest disappointment, probably not much with respect to reality, is lower hp and torque. Claiming it’s faster accelerating could be better fueling but I am sure fueling had been worked out by now. It’s likely they added a tooth or two in the rear? I like the idea of the more aerodynamic bodywork and yet keeping the same look as the old one. I don’t know that the new technology for upgrades, needed to meet the euro emissions ...
I think the biggest thing for EU emissions is the gigantic exhaust system with primary and secondary cats. Seems they might have also richened up the fueling some to get a smother T & HP curve, and having the 2-stage cat system probably allows the emmisions to still be met along with richer fueling. All that combined was the main reason it lost some fuel mileage.

It’s a very high performance bike, so it’s just picking nits really but if the biggest market is the USA and customers for this new version are already not impressed, it’ll be hard to justify the almost $4,000 uptick in price.

Agreed, that $4k price hike is a bit hard to swallow. For that, I'd expect much higher spec, maybe even electronically adjustable or semiactive suspension.

I think the biggest thing for EU emissions is the gigantic exhaust system with primary and secondary cats. Seems they might have also richened up the fueling some to get a smother T & HP curve, and having the 2-stage cat system probably allows the emmisions to still be met along with richer fueling. All that combined was the main reason it lost some fuel mileage.
Makes sense, but sure is counterintuitive. Any idea/word if it will respond to an ECU flash or similar?

Makes sense, but sure is counterintuitive. Any idea/word if it will respond to an ECU flash or similar?

There are people that are in the performance and tuning business, who can't wait to get their hands on a 3rd gen. I'm sure a reflash of the ECU will be just one of the many options available.

Here's a breakdown by one tuner.

02SE, what color did you go for? I'm liking the silver the more I see it.

2021 Hayabusa.jpg

Well, you can probably guess I like black. But at this point I have a choice. I'm also debating whether it's worth it to me. I'm sort of waiting to see what it looks like in person, AND how it performs.

Here's the related article in case anyone missed the link in the other article.

I have to laugh at the conservative claimed 0-60 times.

Cycle Worlds own Don Canet, achieved 0-60 times of 2.4 seconds on the first gen 'Busa.

Back