The Origins Of The Hayabusa

Screenshot_20201229-094644_Gallery.jpg

Cool article. Having only ridden off-road, I've always looked at the Hayabusa as a fast, but lumbering type of cycle. Kind of like a Charger Hellcat of the motorcycle world. It appears I may need to re-evaluate my preconceived notions.

Cool article. Having only ridden off-road, I've always looked at the Hayabusa as a fast, but lumbering type of cycle. Kind of like a Charger Hellcat of the motorcycle world. It appears I may need to re-evaluate my preconceived notions.
That's what I've heard from most people, who have never ridden one. Back when I was assisting in teaching advanced riding and roadracing classes, I used to get a kick out of taking my old 'Busa out on the track, and demonstrating to students what it was capable of.

I've owned or ridden most of the big I-4 roadburners. We have three other bikes which are more track oriented. The 'Busa was and still is something special.

I just keep hoping they'll eventually come out with a 3rd gen.

I still have my 2000 Hayabusa that I bought new. It actually handles pretty well for a 550 lb wet sport bike, but it really more of a "GT highway super cruiser". If there were no cars on the road and no speed limits I could literally ride it at 120+ MPH on the interstates and it would do it all day long with ease. I've taken it on a few 300+ miles trips and probably averaged 80 MPH while still getting 50+ MPG.

After buying a 2016 XSR900 and riding that mostly in the last 3 years, the Hayabusa feels now feels like a "big pig" to me compared to the much more nimble 430 lb wet XSR900. They are totally different feeling for sure.

I span 4 decades and 3 brands of 1100's

Suzuki GS1100 in 85 (82 model year)
Honda v65 sabre in 88
To Kawasazai ZX11 in 92
Back to Suzuki for Busa in 2001

Sold the Busa in 2012 after losing a kidney.

I loved them all.

I found the Busa to be a great platform very stable and comfy super fast high speed tourer vs a pure sport bike.
I had a friend with a late 90's GSXR 1100 and after a full day on it I thought I would never ride again I was in so much pain.

The Charger with a Hellcat isn't lumbering.

I think you (?) posted this article a while ago. If it's gonna happen, they are a bit later than theorized.

I did post a thread about the rumored 3rd gen. Supposedly it's still on the way.

But with the dwindling interest in motorcycles in general, I have to wonder...

I still have my 2000 Hayabusa that I bought new. It actually handles pretty well for a 550 lb wet sport bike, but it really more of a "GT highway super cruiser". If there were no cars on the road and no speed limits I could literally ride it at 120+ MPH on the interstates and it would do it all day long with ease. I've taken it on a few 300+ miles trips and probably averaged 80 MPH while still getting 50+ MPG.

After buying a 2016 XSR900 and riding that mostly in the last 3 years, the Hayabusa feels now feels like a "big pig" to me compared to the much more nimble 430 lb wet XSR900. They are totally different feeling for sure.

If I lived closer, I'd let you take my 50+ lb lighter, revamped suspension and brakes, 125 more rwhp and 60 more rwlb-ft 'Busa for a ride. It feels so much lighter and responsive than stock, it's impossible to describe.

If I lived closer, I'd let you take my 50+ lb lighter, revamped suspension and brakes, 125 more rwhp and 60 more rwlb-ft 'Busa for a ride. It feels so much lighter and responsive than stock, it's impossible to describe.
I'm sure it feels like a whole different bike. I did some pretty crazy twisty backroad riding on my Busa, but after riding the XSR I realilzed just how mammoth and sluggish feeling the Busa feels on really twisty roads in comparison.

The Charger with a Hellcat isn't lumbering.
I've experienced one on an autocross course. Definitely a fun car, incredible torque, but agile it is not. Engineering can only do so much to mask the physics of 4600 lbs. trying to change directions quickly.

The Charger surprised me with its handling once you got it to take a set in a sweeper, and proceed to steer with the throttle. It was a catastrophe through the slaloms, though.

Or perhaps the nut behind the wheel was too loose? Probably a bit of both.

The Challenger is big and heavy so that is what the comparison has to be is with other like cars.

@02SE Sorry for the thread derailment.
Any modern bikes that you would claim to have similar attributes to the GSX1300R? Power is obvious, but things like high speed stability and comfort? The idea of a Grand sport touring machine piques my interest.

@02SE Sorry for the thread derailment.
Any modern bikes that you would claim to have similar attributes to the GSX1300R? Power is obvious, but things like high speed stability and comfort? The idea of a Grand sport touring machine piques my interest.
Well, the aftermarket support of the Hayabusa is probably only exceeded by accessories for Harley's. So you can turn the 'Busa into a sport-touring machine if desired. Seats, handlbar risers, higher windscreens, luggage options, lower footpegs, etc., are all available.

The 2012+ ZX-14R was designed to compete against the 'Busa. Stock, it has more power, has dual counterbalancers so it runs a bit smoother. A bit more upright and relaxed seating position, and softer suspension. But having ridden them extensively, it just doesn't feel as sporty, even if the suspension is re-worked with better damping and stiffer springs.

I'm more into sportbikes vs sport-touring bikes. So for me, the 'Busa is just a better starting point.

The Kawi H2 SX-SE is a 1000cc Supercharged bike, with sport-touring as it's focus. Emphasis on sport. It doesn't have the torque of the 'Busa or ZX-14R, so it feels a bit peakier. Of course they can be modded for more power too.

Pure sport-touring bikes I like the Yamaha FJR1300. I just wish it had 60 rwhp more.

There's the Kawi Concours. A nice sport-touring bike with one glaring omission: The lack of cruise control. Any dedicated sport-touring bike should have cruise control, IMO.

My sister has a BMW R1250RT. It's a nice bike, and has lots of high-tech features. But you pay for them.

The BMW K1600GT is very nice, but heavy.

Anyway, there's a few suggestions.

The Kawi H2 SX-SE is a 1000cc Supercharged bike, with sport-touring as it's focus. Emphasis on sport. It doesn't have the torque of the 'Busa or ZX-14R, so it feels a bit peakier. Of course they can be modded for more power too.
My brother has a H2 SX-SE ... rode it once, and the thing is crazy fast. Just flashing the ECU with a slip-on gives big HP gains on upper RPM range. He developed a handlebar riser kit with some company back east to make the seating position much more comfortable. You can see the bar position difference in this comparison photo - big difference. He also has a taller windscreen on it (seen on left side in photo).

H2 SXSE bar rise.jpg

Back