The new Sportster 883 is out and it is ...ummm... 975.

Only 90HP. My SV1000s was spec'd at 123.5HP. Same displacement. Plenty of low end grunt too. Once again, Harley falls short of getting it right.

Only 90HP. My SV1000s was spec'd at 123.5HP. Same displacement. Plenty of low end grunt too. Once again, Harley falls short of getting it right.
“The Revolution produces 121 horsepower and 94 lb-ft of torque”
But who’s counting?
Unless one set of numbers count above everything else.

My 2004 DL1000 (VStrom 1000, 996cc) dyno'd at 87 hp and 63ft/lbs stock at the rear wheel. It was based on the SV 1000, which made 108 hp at the rear wheel, far short of "specs". Looks like the Harley with 975 cc will make similar power to the DL1000. SV1000 weighs about 50 lbs less than the DL1000. The DL does make more torque lower down, even though the SV makes more overall.

Well the BMW S1000RR 999cc in-line 4 makes 204 hp but that’s still not what the sportster is about.
Where was that measurement taken under the piston rings???

KH7VPVPQXUYABWOII3KRMZWOOE.jpg

183 at the rear wheel by the best dyno chart, but who's counting? Pretty impressive.

Bonz's big bad motor of death could dyno 186 by dropping that slow moving 40 grade for the fast moving 30 grade with no lost in longevity...

30 v 40 = +3hp
30 v 50 = +6hp

Oil drag is real
Vd93WG0.gif

Which bike is my motor of death, lol? I only talk about the BMW based on the same chart you found on the internet as well. To be fair, guys need to talk about rated horsepower or rear wheel horsepower. What makes it to the pavement is all that matters, big numbers at the crankshaft are a moot point.

The bike in my garage right now is a decently modified ZRX 1200. Beats the ever loving stuffing out of the BMW with respect to torque, but 147 horses at the rear wheel pales in comparison. Stock rear wheel horsepower was 112 based on the best (Sport Rider) rear wheel dyno chart from over 20 years ago.

30 weight oil of any flavor will never see the light of day in that crankcase, btw. I run M1 10w40 4T and 20w50 VTwin interchangeably for over 5000 miles on an oci and never miss a beat. NOT looking for a few top end horsepower that I'll never use on the street.

Out of curiosity, what's the longest oci you have run in your Honda factory race bike?

Last edited:
Well the BMW S1000RR 999cc in-line 4 makes 204 hp but that’s still not what the sportster is about.
Revs to the moon (14K), which gives big HP.

The new HD Sportster revs a lot higher due to a shorter stroke, and that's how they are getting decent HP numbers. I think the HD V-Rod also made decent HP due to a short stroke, high revs design.

There are 2 "Peanut" tank sizes on older sportsters, 2.2 and 3.3 (I think) The airbox on this one mimics the larger one of similar capacity, the current "48" has the smaller one.

Out of curiosity, what's the longest oci you have run in your Honda factory race bike?
Racking up street miles I might go the recommended 8K OCI whereas track or race miles I might not...

Photo is Reno Fernley Nev where I was invited by Kieth Code to try out for an California Super bike instructor slot...

Attachments

• Mr.RC45RenoFernley.JPG
    Mr.RC45RenoFernley.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 7
  • RepsolRiderLarry.JPG
    RepsolRiderLarry.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 7
  • RenoFernley21a.jpg
    RenoFernley21a.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, so you have gone the recommended 8000 mile OCI at some point? Understood on track time doing a shorter OCI.

Thanks, so you have gone the recommended 8000 mile OCI at some point? Understood on track time doing a shorter OCI.
You're welcome... if I could afford a ticket I'd ride about 8K in a year... if I couldn't afford a ticket it was what ever the mileage covered in 365 days...
My oil change coincided with my annuaal trip to Laguna Seca with out fail... you would never spy dark oil in Mr.RC45 sight gauge on the Row or on display...

Monster Energy Girls Cannery Row Laguna Seca
gallery_3131_5511_28885.jpg

Back