The lure of the new ride (aka getting tired of current vehicle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is this...you need a totally new and different mindset to vehicle ownership. You can't be 100% OCD with vehicles because there's just too much out of your control. It's too risky of a formula.

So change your mindset. Make the vehicle "your's". Own it, take care of it, but accept and actually appreciate some of the issues, scratches and dings, because they're your memories, they're your experiences. And keep that vehicle long term with your new outlook.

You'll be surprised how different the relationship will be...how you can still do your best to take care of the car and appreciate it.

Whenever I get the urge to get a new car, I chant "money-in-the-bank" until the feeling goes away.

Your frustration is very understandable, but none of that is really your fault other than you choosing where to go (reviews looked good though so still not really your fault in this case) and not following up and giving the shops [censored] for doing a [censored] job.

My father left me his beloved Jaguar X-Type when he died. Not really my kind of car, but he left it to me with low miles and in good shape. A little buffing, cleaned the carpets and it was perfect. With a flawless body, perfect paint and some really good window tint that matches the cool silver color of the car. Looks phenomenal.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day at work, I closed the hangar door on to the car. I needed to wash my hands, so I pushed the down button, jammed a spray can straw into the button and washed my hands in the sink at the back of the hangar. I heard an awful noise, and by the time I looked, the roof was caved in, all 4 tires were squished flat and the chassis was nearly on the ground.

Boy was I mad. Furthermore, I could not even get in the car to drive it home, as the roof had caved in enough to prevent me from sitting. I punched and kicked at the roof and "Bloop" it went back up enough for me to drive home.

One rear end collision, one drunk guy damaging the car and one parking lot accident later (guy forgot to set his car in park and it rolled into my car) I just don't care. I was cured, 100% of having or even wanting a nice vehicle. Life is better now.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by oldhp
"If" it bothers you that much and I know how a person can become attached to things. Maybe sell it + new truck =
grin.gif
OR Maybe check on trading it in on a new Tacoma =
grin.gif

I just retired and ordered a '19 Challenger R/T Shaker 6 speed. Because I like toys.........and other than warranty issues (Hopefully none) "Nobody" will touch my car.
grin.gif

I really hope everything works out for you!!!
cheers3.gif

Until it needs tires and idiot tire tech leaves greasy finger prints inside your interior and scratches all your wheels when mounting your tires.

Many bad mechanics don't care about damaging a customer's vehicle.

I don't have to worry about that.......My tire guy is a 100% old skhool gear head.
grin.gif

The cure for my OCD was having kids. The freedom is phenomenal. Not that I trash my cars now, not in the least, but little things simply don't bother me any more.

It also made me realize how my OCD helped converting irrational decisions into rational ones. A small dent would drive me to wanting a whole door replacement because I could not stand the thought of someone fixing it.
You want a brand new vehicle instead. If you start thinking rationally, it's simply crazy, as these issues are all easily fixable.

Let go of your OCD.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
..... I voluntarily handed my keys over to people whose livelihood it is to do these things for a living. It's one thing to cause damage yourself to your vehicle, and another if someone you trusted does it.

I'd just drive it and be done with it. A little OCD can be too much....
I have taken one vehicle to a mechanic, ONCE... in my whole life.

My trust of anyone other than myself and maybe 6-7 other people in the entire world..... is ZILCH.

It's going to really suck when I get older and can't do the same repairs that I can now at this age.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
The cure for my OCD was having kids. The freedom is phenomenal. Not that I trash my cars now, not in the least, but little things simply don't bother me any more.

If you start thinking rationally, it's simply crazy, as these issues are all easily fixable.

Let go of your OCD.

Good advice.

figure out what it'll cost you to get a new car, take that money from your bank account and get yourself and your wife on a vacation somewhere in Asia. enjoy vacation, your life and the truck. no need to thank me

newer vehicles can be less reliable due to trying to meet the EPA specs, + many are using oil trying to do so + direct injection carbon issues is not so nice. someone will be happy with your lo-mile taco for sure!!

IME, engine reliability is the most important.

In other words, I use my vehicle to go somewhere, it may not be as nice as I want it but who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back