The joy of winter returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Watching this storm on Intellicast, it looks almost exactly like the shape of the storm that passed through the upper midwest a few weeks ago, causing all kinds of tree damage and power outages.

A very long,wide band of freezing rain with a band of snow to the north and rain to the south, stretching at a 45 degree angle from SW to NE. It's amazing how far south the cold is going this winter.

Be safe guys. Wishing you the best. Ice storms suck.

And, you guys that keep reminding us of your balmy weather (you know who you are, Merk, Cujet, others)....remember, what goes around, comes around
lol.gif
. No mercy from us when California slides into the ocean after their next earth quake!

If an earthquake of 8-9 Richter scale about 10-20 miles of the coast of So Cal, it can kills tens of thousands who live within a mile or 2 from the beach. Many experts predict that we will have a big one more than 6 Richter scale within he next 5 years somewhere in So Cal.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
it's not snow, it's freezing rain.

Looks like a little stub of an uphill.

"Maybe if I give it a different amount of gas I'll make it."
What probably happened is this hill would have been okay to bomb up quickly, but someone tapped the brakes, or that traffic light turned red, then someone behind them slowed down worse, then the traffic never recovered. Once that set in, ice set in, and everyone was screwed.

When I was a paperboy on a bicycle, I got around great in the snow. As long as the rear wheel is spinning, a person has gyro action helping their balance.

The 'mergency is technically over here, but my work is still closed, so I have another snow/ice day. Just now (6:15 am CST), I walked out to check on my car. The windshield is glazed with ice, and the wipers are stuck fast until we get a little warming and I can do some scraping. (I may be the only denizen of Da Swamp who carries an ice scraper in his car -- though a pickup parked near mine had a blanket spread across the windshield, the kind of thing we used to do in Denver, so not everybody here is unprepared.)

AS for those of you with 75 F. weather right now, wait until August, when everybody will be complaining about the relentless heat. I'll resurrect my traditional post about "This is what you wished for back in January! Ha ha!"

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
though a pickup parked near mine had a blanket spread across the windshield, the kind of thing we used to do in Denver, so not everybody here is unprepared.)

I survived a few ice storms myself, even though I totaled a car in one of them. Thus, I thought I would be smart this time and covered one car in my driveway (the one that didn't fit in my garage). The thing is, the tarp froze to the car and I can't pull it! Will have to wait for melting coming soon.

In a way I sort of feel bad for the folks down south who aren't set up for this kind of weather. Like was pointed out a few posts earlier, severe cold even in places that are used to it brings out other problems - namely black ice from car exhaust freezing to the pavement, and no commonly used deicing agent works - only traction aids like sand. The past two morning commutes were "interesting" at -20F, and it finally went back above zero today. The ramp I commonly use on to the freeway bears the marks of about 10 cars that spun out in the same location into the snowbanks from black ice.

Factor in inexperienced drivers, cars not equipped with this weather in mind, road designs that don't take this weather into mind, and transportation departments that don't have hundreds of $200,000 plow trucks, along with salt and sand just sitting around, and its no wonder things close up in the south for this.

The problem is no one knows how to drive in it. You don't really plow under 2in or salt under 2in of snow. Our DOT does it just to keep their operating budget up but that's another story.

Modern vehicles are quite good in the snow, if the people behind the wheel knew how to handle it.

Its not surprising around the holidays when people travel if we get some snow or ice you always see cars with plates from warm states creeping along and having trouble figuring it out.

Last edited:
Pfft. snow and slush is no big deal. Ice is a totally different kettle of fish. Especially if the local infrastructure isnt set up for it. Stay home. even if it hurts a little in the wallet. Work from your house for a day or two.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The problem is no one knows how to drive in it. You don't really plow under 2in or salt under 2in of snow. Our DOT does it just to keep their operating budget up but that's another story.

Modern vehicles are quite good in the snow, if the people behind the wheel knew how to handle it.

Its not surprising around the holidays when people travel if we get some snow or ice you always see cars with plates from warm states creeping along and having trouble figuring it out.

I don't know if you noticed, but we are talking ice and not snow here.

0111-atlanta-ice-storm_full_600.jpg

Yes, there comes a point where ONLY HEAVILY studded winter ice tires will work on this polished stuff (NOT even the 'best' Nokian/Michelin/whatever studless deals will get you anywhere, or stop you once you are moving).
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, there comes a point where ONLY HEAVILY studded winter ice tires will work on this polished stuff (NOT even the 'best' Nokian/Michelin/whatever studless deals will get you anywhere, or stop you once you are moving).
frown.gif

Depends on how cold it is. If it's near-freezing, yeah, you're gonna need studs on that. If it's far enough below freezing (mid single digits and below with no salt), the ice stays dry enough that a good soft-compound studless winter will get a surprising amount of grip on it.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
frown.gif

Depends on how cold it is. If it's near-freezing, yeah, you're gonna need studs on that. If it's far enough below freezing (mid single digits and below with no salt), the ice stays dry enough that a good soft-compound studless winter will get a surprising amount of grip on it.

Do they (the pure winter, Q, or R rated, studless deals) actually 'stick' to the ice at those ambients??

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
it's not snow, it's freezing rain.

Looks like a little stub of an uphill.

"Maybe if I give it a different amount of gas I'll make it."
What probably happened is this hill would have been okay to bomb up quickly, but someone tapped the brakes, or that traffic light turned red, then someone behind them slowed down worse, then the traffic never recovered. Once that set in, ice set in, and everyone was screwed.

When I was a paperboy on a bicycle, I got around great in the snow. As long as the rear wheel is spinning, a person has gyro action helping their balance.

I like the people that just mash the gas right to the floor once they are stopped. All that does is create ice patches under the tire then you'll never move!

I'm gonna slap the first person who complains about it being too hot this summer! I'll take 110 degrees over this garbage any day!

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm gonna slap the first person who complains about it being too hot this summer! I'll take 110 degrees over this garbage any day!

I rarely agree with you, but in this case you're spot on.
I too will take 100F+, which we do get here some years, over the current weather any day of the week.
It's nearly 50F on my thermometer right now, but the forecast predicts more single digit days next week.
The joy of winter continues.

I'd take it if I could hide from it. Hot nights ruin hot days... I like a little respite.

A person could always wear more layers to overcome cold, but there's a limit to how few someone could do.

Heat bills and frozen pipes are about my least favorite part of winter.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Pfft. snow and slush is no big deal. Ice is a totally different kettle of fish. Especially if the local infrastructure isnt set up for it. Stay home. even if it hurts a little in the wallet. Work from your house for a day or two.

For some people, that simply is not an option! (Offhand: my wife's best friend is an ER nurse.)

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
frown.gif

Do they (the pure winter, Q, or R rated, studless deals) actually 'stick' to the ice at those ambients??

Yes...the good ones do, at least! The Glacier Grip II's on my Dak do, the Treadwright Kedge Grips (with carbide flakes in the rubber) I ran on my Cherokee and F-350 did. I once parked my Cherokee in a parking lot I thought was covered by an inch or so of snow...it slipped a bit, but nothing unexpected on snow in 2WD. I stopped, parked, climbed out...and face-planted, because the "snow" was actually a sheet of ice!

I then carefully--visualize penguin-walk with arms out--went inside and told the Mobil Mart cashier that he REALLY needed to get ice melter out there before someone got killed.

I'd take it if I could hide from it. Hot nights ruin hot days... I like a little respite.

A person could always wear more layers to overcome cold, but there's a limit to how few someone could do.

An air conditioner is about $75 at Wal-Mart!

Haha.

I came to post that I plan to move to Montana in 3-4 years. Saving up money and finishing up some work down here in South Florida.

It's nice here.. We have an ocean. Fished for years. But. It's too dang hot! I love the cold and want to experience something different. I'm only getting older.

Can't wait to experience a real harsh winter. Living here is Too easy. Makes life feel 'zombie' like.. and Lazy! I like hard work. and life here is too easy and simple. Not for me.

Hands down, the thick 'salt soup' on the roads (and ALL OVER/UNDER my car), and the car eating CRATERS, are my least favorite parts of this current, over-zealous season.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back