The joy of winter returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
We awoke this morning to about 3" of fresh powder at 5:30 am with reasonable 20F temperatures. The temps quickly fell to 15F and stayed there through the day.
It's now about 6F and will fall below zero overnight and will do so again over the following two nights.
We've dodged all of the serious snow so far this winter, but we've had low temperatures over periods of days that we haven't seen in years.
I know that many of you have it far worse in terms of snowfall as well as cold.
We have had some nice breaks, though.
On 12/22/13, I was laying on my back chnaging the oil in the '12 Accord at a dry and comfortable 50F, while I did an ATF drain and fill of the '02 Accord on 1/1/14 with similar weather.
I know that it's too early to be thinking of spring, but I really can't help it.
I'd rather cut the grass every 5-7 days than deal with ice and cold.

I woke up this AM to -22C (-8F). It warmed up to a balmy -17.5C (0.5F). It is now -18C (-0.5F) and dropping again, LOL!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

move to Dallas. My brother did.
it was 30 degrees here yesterday..it was 76 in Dallas.
it's Currently 7 here, and 47 there.

We awoke this morning to about 3" of fresh powder at 5:30 am with reasonable 20F temperatures. The temps quickly fell to 15F and stayed there through the day.
It's now about 6F and will fall below zero overnight and will do so again over the following two nights.
We've dodged all of the serious snow so far this winter, but we've had low temperatures over periods of days that we haven't seen in years.

where abouts in buckeyeland are you? here in Lima, It was 30 when i went into work @11p last night, and 8 when I got off @ 7a. we had 2-3" of powder. our current forecast is for temps near to below zero, with snow every other day, with a slight warm up sat(all the way up to 28!), then back into the icebox again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre

Yeah, but when it is 76 there it is what, 116 in Dallas?

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: earlyre

Yeah, but when it is 76 there it is what, 116 in Dallas?

nah... a mere 105.

I know that many of you have it far worse in terms of snowfall as well as cold.
We have had some nice breaks, though.
On 12/22/13, I was laying on my back changing the oil in the '12 Accord at a dry and comfortable 50F, while I did an ATF drain and fill of the '02 Accord on 1/1/14 with similar weather.
I know that it's too early to be thinking of spring, but I really can't help it.

50F is too cold to do anything outdoor, other than a quick walk from the car to grocery store(s) I rather don't go outside when temperature id below 55-60F.

We had 2-3 warmer weeks with temp above 80F, today it's cloudy and cold at 67-68F, but we will have warmer weekend with 76-85F again.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I woke up this AM to -22C (-8F). It warmed up to a balmy -17.5C (0.5F). It is now -18C (-0.5F) and dropping again, LOL!

Correction, it is now -22C (-8F) here. Balmy!
wink.gif

and its a lovely day here in the city. 15F now going down to 8F there's 10" snow on the ground already w/another 5"-8" tonight, boy I can't wait to go to work tomorrow. another day of hurry up and wait.

We're now down to 0F, a pleasant -18C.
We rarely see this type of cold more than once each winter here, and we hadn't seen below zero F prior to our last blast of real cold this season since January 2010.
The coldest I've ever seen on my thermometer here is -25F.
In contrast, during the winter of 2011-2012, we saw nothing lower than maybe 15F and we had no snow to speak of.
I recall working on a car outside in February 2012 in a sweatshirt in perfect comfort.
We at least get some breaks here every couple of weeks, with unseasonably warm days for car maintenance and washing, as well as general walking around and enjoying the break.

If it is any consolation, in 1984 on this day it was -36C (-33F) here
smile.gif

The coldest temps we've seen have been in the -40's. Which is still nothing compared to what they get in Alberta/Saskatchewan and northern Ontario/Quebec.

If you want a staggeringly scary statistic, on this day in Edmonton, the record low is -49C!!!!! (-56F)

I enjoy the challenge of doing things outside and staying warm. Especially winter activities like downhill skiing, cross country, mountain biking /spikes, and ice skating.

Chores like chopping wood keep me warm too. Balmy 7F out today but sunny.

When I used to spend a lot of time either outdoors or in the garage in very cold weather, I found that it wasn't bad at all if you dressed for it.
I can recall taking the dog out for liesurely strolls through the snow on below zero nights and being perfectly comfortable.
The dog would roll around in the snow and take his good old time.
He was a Great Pyrenees, so he was well dressed for real cold.

Calif - today, 45 days of dry now, no rain. Fires again already. Water rationing. Been 60s - low 70s. Skeeters buzzing about. Dry brown landscape. Lakes/rivers low - very very low. Just so dry and warm. New dry winter records.
Guess the bright side is I spent time motorcycle riding this past weekend in a regular shirt, daily grilling rib-eye's, tri-tip's, baby-backs, today (very soon) kabobs going on the grill. And no big heating bills. Got to get the grill started now... tee shirt, blue jeans and bare feet. Few flowers in backyard popped open.
Need the rain (& snow up in the hills) - want water, want to go fishing, want to try my wipers, want to try new vent shades, try new rain gear, jackets, shoes/boots...
Oh, currently on news... the bears are up and about.

Winter happens every year about this time. Some winters are cold, some are warm, and when you add them all together you get an average.

I actually enjoy the winter. My wife and I like doing outdoor activities when it's cold-we bundle up and go snow shoeing on the bike trail, or when there's not enough snow we'll just go walking. It's a completely different world, when you stop it's total silence. No insects, birds or other animals. Just complete winter silence.

And if I have to work on something I fire up the heat in the shop and warm it up to 65 degrees, and enjoy a few hours of shop time.

Going to have to unfreeze my garage door if I want any shop work here....

It's -2F right now. Winter, I'm cool with. Extreme wind and cold, not so much....

That's why I refuse to live anywhere about I-40. Yeah, it'll get cold for a couple of days here, but warm back up. Summer heat is not a problem around here.

We had a nice comfy temp of 67 degrees here on Monday, 32 yesterday...41 today so far...30 something (if lucky) tomorrow.

Up and down temps every other day it seems.

It's been kind of dry here also but last month....it was wet!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back