The Jeep is dead... Accident this afternoon

Of course, right after repairing the belt and putting gas in, this happens. Heading to lunch this afternoon, I was in the right lane of a 2 lane road with another car about 2 car lengths ahead in the left lane. As we come through an intersection, he decides at the last minute that he wants to pull in to the Wendy's parking lot, which is on the right. The entrance to the lot is maybe 20 yards from the crosswalk, give or take.

At this point I'm half way through the intersection doing 30-35, and he hits his brakes and turns right, directly in front of me. I somehow managed to avoid hitting him, however I destroyed the "Welcome" sign, a ~4" thick tree, and a 10' light pole before coming to rest in the drive through exit lane. Here's where things get fun: he starts slowly creeping forward (still on the road), not fast but not slowly either. I figured he was going to pull in to the next parking lot, but he kept going! I jumped out of my truck and started sprinting and yelling towards his vehicle, which at this point was probably 1.5 blocks away. He got held up at a round-about, however I still couldn't reach him.

Just then, a very nice citizen called me in to his car and we chased the guy down. He pretended to stop twice, however every time we would catch him and I got out, he would pull off. He finally circled back around to Wendy's and stopped. I graciously thanked the person who helped me, and proceeded to unleash an expletive-laced tirade towards the other driver. He was already on the phone and I could see him mouth "police", so I backed off and went inside the restaurant to wait. At one point he exited his vehicle and started inspecting mine, to which I immediately went out and unloaded on him again saying he had no business looking at my vehicle and to sit in his car until the police arrived.

Anyways, police came and took photos and statements. She did cite him for improper turn, but couldn't cite him for fleeing since his car has no damage to prove he was involved, nor are there any external cameras at the location. I'm going to canvas the area and see if ANYONE has footage of something, but I'm not hopeful.

I'm fine, my back is a little stiff from tensing up and running on hard pack snow, but most of that is lingering from a sciatica episode I had last week. The Jeep is trashed, it hit almost dead center of the bumper. The bumper bar actually sheared in the middle, that's how far back it pushed. Headlights are done, core is done, the mechanical fan and electric fan are now one unit, ha. Hopefully his insurance won't put up much fight and just cuts me a check for FMV, whatever that may be.

Attachments

• Jeep 1.jpg
    Jeep 1.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 414
  • Jeep 2.jpg
    Jeep 2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 414
  • Jeep 3.jpg
    Jeep 3.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 370
  • Jeep 4.jpg
    Jeep 4.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 415
I've been meaning to buy a dash cam for ages, and this is exactly why. I know I "probably" should have just hit him, but natural defensive tactics pretty much force you to avoid a collision (at least that's what my brain does). He would obviously have been at fault, but it is what it is. He is still at fault, it's just going to be harder to prove.

Wendy’s is going to want something for their sign and light pole plus any other damage. I wonder if they have CCTV of that area? You don’t want to get stuck with that expense.

Wendy’s is going to want something for their sign and light pole plus any other damage. I wonder if they have CCTV of that area? You don’t want to get stuck with that expense.
His insurance can pay for it, they aren't getting a dime out of me. No luck on the CCTV yet, Wendy's has no external camera's, the new Chase bank down the street that has a perfect view of the round-about is still under construction and it's camera's aren't functional yet. While we were chasing down the other driver, he pulled in to the local post office lot, but pulled off right as I got out of the car, however they have absolutely no exterior camera's. I plan on going and doing a little recon to see if ANYONE in the area has video footage of anything but I'm not holding out hope.

The courts may say otherwise if you can't prove he caused the collision. Bravado doesn't beat a judge.
I'm not expecting to win, however having him receive a ticket for improper turn can't hurt my case. I'll have to wait until I see the full police report, but the cop sure did sound like she was on my side (again, not that it matters). She was genuinely sorry she couldn't write him a ticket for fleeing, but I understand why she couldn't. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove. That's why I'm so adamant on finding CCTV footage from somewhere to help my case.

Wow, that really is too bad.

As said above, definitely a good point that everyone needs a dashcam. I haven’t caught much that’s interesting, just a guy hitting another car in a McDonald’s drive thru road rage incident.

What a misfortune accident. This one will be hard to prove the other driver was at fault sadly. As Overkill already said, ironically in situations like this it is better to hit the other vehicle.

His insurance can pay for it, they aren't getting a dime out of me. No luck on the CCTV yet, Wendy's has no external camera's, the new Chase bank down the street that has a perfect view of the round-about is still under construction and it's camera's aren't functional yet. While we were chasing down the other driver, he pulled in to the local post office lot, but pulled off right as I got out of the car, however they have absolutely no exterior camera's. I plan on going and doing a little recon to see if ANYONE in the area has video footage of anything but I'm not holding out hope.

It might be a good idea to let your insurance know anyway. A heads up so to speak. You shouldn’t have to pay for those damages but stuff happens. Hopefully it all works out.

Thanks everyone, I think this is the first time I've REGRETTED not hitting someone. This is only my 2nd accident in 15 years of driving, neither of which were "my fault" however it appears that I'm going to get bent over on both of them. At the end of the day, I guess it's no big deal.

It might be a good idea to let your insurance know anyway. A heads up so to speak. You shouldn’t have to pay for those damages but stuff happens. Hopefully it all works out.
I called my insurance and started a claim when I got back to the shop. Obviously, the Jeep only has liability on it, so there's no "claim" on my end, per se, however they have to pull the police report and then they'll pass along his insurance information so I can initiate a claim with them.

Worse comes to worse, my insurance will cover the property damage and my rates may go up slightly. Unfair, annoying, and (potentially) avoidable but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

That really stinks, 14Accent. Best of luck with the insurance. Hopefully that guy that helped you witnessed everything?

Anybody have a dash cam to recommend?

Back