The Jeep is dead... Accident this afternoon

Thanks again for all the replies. I realize it's a long shot, but worse comes to worse I'll scrap the Jeep or sell it for parts on FB. I can probably break even on it, so at the end of the day it's not the worst outcome. I can drive my Volt through the rest of winter, I hope, and I'll just find another beater for next season.

I really should have just smoked the guy. Darn my natural reactions.
Yes. That’s how I was taught to drive a commuter bus in NY/NJ. Off the record of course. “Stay in your lane kid. Hands on the wheel, nothing evasive. Better to take the hit.” But like you said, instincts get in the way sometimes.

Yes. That’s how I was taught to drive a commuter bus in NY/NJ. Off the record of course. “Stay in your lane kid. Hands on the wheel, nothing evasive. Better to take the hit.” But like you said, instincts get in the way sometimes.
When I got t-boned two years ago in my CR-V in a roundabout (they were entering, I was already in), their insurance asked me if "there was anything I could have done to avoid the accident?" :ROFLMAO:

Me being a smartass: Not be in the roundabout since your client hit me whilst I was INSIDE OF THE ROUNDABOUT?!?!!??????????????

Her: /silence

Her: next question....

🤪

Last edited:
Most likely. The cop wrote a ticket but after the fact and wasn't a witness. The ticket will be tossed.
That would depend on the prosecutor, and your definition of "tossed". There is nothing inherently wrong with a police officer writing a ticket after the fact for something they were not a witness to, as long as there are grounds for the charge to be laid. The OP was a witness (although a biased one), so there is evidence to run a trial on. Whether a prosecutor is inclined to run it on that basis, or whether the other driver would be convicted is a different story.

Sorry a dumb___ ruined your car. It's only natural to attempt to avoid hitting someone. I had to learn to override that instinct with all the deer in Wyoming. It's always better to hit one rather than taking the ditch and possibly rolling the car. I, too, wish you'd gone ahead and clocked him. But I guess if I'm wishing for stuff, I should wish for people to stop driving like they're the only ones on the road. Very glad you're ok.

DASHCAM.

Most dashcams are absolute crap. I've been through several.

I now have three Mobius "original" action cams. They have a dashcam "mode", no screen and are known to be one of the few reliable cams.

I would use the term "They ran me off the road" as often as I could make it fit in a sentence.
And that will accomplish absolutely nothing in terms of a liability investigation where the other vehicle has no impact damage. This is not going to court the Op's insurace company will handle it. This is exactly why you carry insurance. It would cost way more to defend this in court than to repair the damage and move on.

Check out the LA Fitness. On one of your pictures it looks like they have a wall mounted camera, might be a light though.

I wasn't worried about getting "capped". This was an upper-middle aged white guy that looked about as threatening as a church mouse. Not that regular guys can't be crazy, but at the time it was a risk/reward decision.

As far as coverage, I should be ok. Unfortunately, I just switched to State Farm from Progressive so I have no history with them. I just checked, I have $100k in property damage coverage. Hopefully that's enough to cover it if need be.

I just watched a video of an upper-middle aged white guy who was driving erratically, hit some vehicles, and then went after and attacked a police officer who arrived on scene, before he was ultimately shot 12 times. Which did finally stop him.

Never assume anything.

Last edited:
Sucks man. Glad you're ok. I've had a person hit and run too and caught up on foot in traffic.

Any chance the Grand is savable? You can buy the front crossmember or source from the boneyard.
That whole nose comes off and can be replaced. .

Sucks man. Glad you're ok. I've had a person hit and run too and caught up on foot in traffic.

Any chance the Grand is savable? You can buy the front crossmember or source from the boneyard.
That whole nose comes off and can be replaced. .
Thanks man. I'm sure it's "savable", but I don't have the time or the care to bother with it. 260k miles, 20 years old, paid $400 bucks for it. I figure I can throw it on FB Marketplace and get $500 for it for parts. It's got almost new Firestones with less than 2.5k miles on them, those are worth almost that alone.

Lesson learned: when in doubt, hit the guy not the property

If you hit another car, you never know how fault is going to be decided.

At least the sign can't sue you for injuries.

If you hit another car, you never know how fault is going to be decided.

At least the sign can't sue you for injuries.

That is true, but if the risk of serious injury to you is the same regardless, the sign won't pay you either.

Hindsight is 20/20, but you can only prepare so much for a wreck. When the idiot pulled out in front of my 94 Explorer, there was no time to really think about anything, but I'm glad I wound up plowing into the side of his (not actually his) car, completely disabling it. I guarantee you he would have run if he could because he was not licensed, and I would have risked a rollover if I had even had time to attempt an evasive maneuver, which I didn't. The police wouldn't give me any of his info at the scene, but I could tell from their demeanor that I was totally not at fault, and when I got the report a couple days later it showed that.

That sucks, probably would have been better if you had just hit him unfortunately.
Yeah as in physically after all of that. A choke slam or two would be in order. The things some do to cause accidents then try to avoid all responsibility just doesn't cut it.

Yep. Akin to swerving off the road and rolling your vehicle to avoid hitting a deer or other animal.
Not always. My wife for called to a deer hit...double fatality, both occupants dead at the scene. Bambi came through the windshield at 70MPH.

Back