Bought 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Accident Already (Minor)

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Since selling the Tesla I decided to buy my grandpa's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 3.6L 4x4. He now requires a wheelchair van for transportation as he can't get in and out of it anymore. Haven't even deposited the check into his account yet and I got into a minor fender bender.

I was driving straight down a road that had 2 lanes on each side, plus a turn lane for each side in the middle. A 70 year old woman in an 04' Lexus SC430 skipped the driving lanes to get to the middle turn lane to cross the street, I slammed on the brakes and held the horn but couldn't stop quick enough. She was diagonal when I hit her. I pulled into the turn lane, she pulled into the wrong way turn lane and got out of the car, came over and asked if my sister and I were ok (we're fine) and then asked who she cut off, as another car stopped behind me. I told her it was me and asked her to pull into the parking lot. She didn't think there was damage at first. Probably adrenaline.

I always am an advocate for using your own insurance instead of the other person's for the claim, then they get reimbursed. But my grandpa has Geico (yuck) and she has Allstate. Wondering who I should claim it through.

AB52658D-2D83-4CFB-AC6C-220374C358B2.jpeg

E54EEB0B-91EE-4301-AFE8-1557BF0573E8.jpeg

2607D8ED-F265-4174-B6BB-142AAB182E3F.jpeg

Was coming back from picking up dinner. Luckily only 1 of 4 drinks spilled. Husky Liners to the rescue!

@dishdude sorry, not enough background in pics to guess the location on a 3rd accident. It was directly between Trader Joe's and In-N-Out.

A43B0F17-F608-42B7-8C04-04D916F124C5.jpeg

Let their insurance handle it… I have yet to be on the other side of an accident (I hit a deer in my Durango with geico, wife side swiped a pole at a gas station in the 300 with Allstate) but both were honestly pleasant to deal with. Durango came back looking great while the 300 got all new OEM parts because it was new enough.

No one was hurt and that is the number one inportance when it all is over with. It sucks, but it happens.

It is intresting how the smaller vehicle got the worst of the damage. Even now days with everything designed to sacrifice itself to absorb impact to protect the passangers compartment, it is still intresting that the bigger vehicle has way less intrusion into it. Not necessarally cheaper to repair, though it may be.

But still, if the accident had been at a faster speed, the bigger vehicle would have had more meat left on it to absorb more inpact and protect the passangers longer during the collision, and better in the end. Sometimes when you get into an accident the insurance that counts the most is the insurance you pay for at the pump to carry all that extra vehicle around with you.

Husky Liner sure did it's job! That's a really crazy section of 20th St...I've seen some drivers make some really stupid maneuvers there. Glad no one was hurt.

Let her insurance handle it. That won’t involve any potential issues with your own (recently “purchased”, unlisted driver, possibly a resident of the household if you live with him, etc). Geico and Allstate are both major carriers and it looks like pretty minor damage on your Jeep, maybe a front bumper cover, some retainers and misc brackets and possibly a headlamp. Good luck and thankfully nobody was injured.

Looks like a good panel to get hit, the front bumper cover always looks like garbage from rock chips anyway. If it was your Tesla it would be down for 3 years!

Looks like a good panel to get hit, the front bumper cover always looks like garbage from rock chips anyway. If it was your Tesla it would be down for 3 years!
I actually wonder if the Tesla would have stopped sooner by itself

Got the Jeep back today after 2-1/2 weeks at the body shop. New bumper, repainted upper grille, and they replaced the outer ring of the lower grille. $2,159.

4D322D5C-CF4C-4580-965C-6162D4D39152.jpeg

Back