The Future is Here, Today. (Headlights)

Shouldn't the plural form of that be Lexi? The etymology of word is from the Latin 'lexus', what the Romans called their fastest and most ornate chariots. Therfore the proper term meaning two or more must be lexi. Mazda had the same confusion with a model years ago named the 'Millenia' which except it is spelled incorrectly, is actually more than one. Should have been named the 'Millennium' which is singular. Now not so clear what to call more than one Nissan Leaf.

lexi
View attachment 154250
Perhaps Nissan can follow Toronto's fine example - the Maple Leafs.

That Mercedes lighting system is really nice but I would hate to have to pay for replacement for part of it when it's out of warranty. It's interesting. It would probably be very nice to have.

What's also interesting is that years from now when cars become fully autonomous it will be obsolete.

I like new technology, I just don't like the beta release / troubleshooting phase where the general public is forced to help. Eventually they will iron out the wrinkles and it will become more reliable and affordable. It would be nice if people simply kept their headlights aimed properly and clean, and paid attention behind the wheel... this wouldn't solve all our night-driving safety issues but it sure would help a lot LOL. Can't count how many work trucks I see with a ton of tool boxes and equipment mounted on the back, and their headlights are shining at the moon.

I have the M-B “Intelligent LED” headlamps on my C43- dumbed-down for US regs. I’ll eventually have them recoded to European specs. It reminds me of having to fit E Code headlights to my cars when OEM lights were those beyond pathetic sealed beams.

Thinking a few here never heard of this blast from the past - but similar lights eventually became common …

Wait untill laser exited phosphor beams make it to cars.

BMW and Audi raced to introduce LEP high beams ~2014/15, in their flagship sports cars.

They did later propagate down to the the lower model lines, as options, but BMW has apparently decided to abandon them due to cost, and concentate on matrix technology. Their take rates probably helped make that decision easier as well.

It's cool but I can't wait for them to go back to 3300K or 43000 halogen/HID color temperatures when the cold white LED fad finally dies. If I had to guess, it will go full circle and the warm white light will be the premium. One luxury brand is going to pull it off and it'll trickle down again. It costs more to add so much phosphor on the LED chips, so it'll probably be marketed that way.

Once the Toyota Corolla got LEDs as standard, LEDs and cold white colors aren't special anymore--no offense to Corolla owners! I think CRI and CCT will be the next thing they focus on after all the Matrix-LED stuff is perfected

It's cool but I can't wait for them to go back to 3300K or 43000 halogen/HID color temperatures when the cold white LED fad finally dies. If I had to guess, it will go full circle and the warm white light will be the premium. One luxury brand is going to pull it off and it'll trickle down again. It costs more to add so much phosphor on the LED chips, so it'll probably be marketed that way.

Once the Toyota Corolla got LEDs as standard, LEDs and cold white colors aren't special anymore--no offense to Corolla owners! I think CRI and CCT will be the next thing they focus on after all the Matrix-LED stuff is perfected
Give me some LED’s in the 4500-4800k range with a high CRI and I’ll be happy!

If you care about your eye's, dimmer lights would be better. And besides if you don't want someone running into your car, don't blind them at night with super bright head lamps.

I doubt they'll go full circle back to the warm hues...closer to daylight as far as color temp the better IMO. I like 3000k in my living room, not on the road.

I doubt they'll go full circle back to the warm hues...closer to daylight as far as color temp the better IMO. I like 3000k in my living room, not on the road.
4800k Philips Xtreme Vision HID’s were my all time favorites. Looked like pure daylight in front of the vehicle.

US Market ID.4's (Pro S and above) have the matrix headlight hardware but the functionality has been programmed out for our market due to the older FMVSS standard. Some of the more knowledgable owners have been trying to figure out how to code the functionality back in but I don't believe it has been figured out just yet. There is also hope since FMVSS standards now allow them that VW will add them back with an OTA update, that's a huge long shot though as VW hasn't yet had any successful OTA update in North America to date.

Interestingly enough they do have some matrix functionality as the "poor weather lights" are like fog lights but with no separate lights or housings, it somehow creates what are pretty much fog lights out of the same projector. I tested it out one night and you could see the additional lighting on the road, hopped out and couldn't tell a difference when looking at the front of the car - just looked like the low beam projector lights. Kind of neat and now I can drive around with my fog lights on even when they aren't needed without people making fun of me (j/k).

Parts cost is ~$900 each side so not too terrible.

US Market ID.4's (Pro S and above) have the matrix headlight hardware but the functionality has been programmed out for our market due to the older FMVSS standard. Some of the more knowledgable owners have been trying to figure out how to code the functionality back in but I don't believe it has been figured out just yet. There is also hope since FMVSS standards now allow them that VW will add them back with an OTA update, that's a huge long shot though as VW hasn't yet had any successful OTA update in North America to date.

Interestingly enough they do have some matrix functionality as the "poor weather lights" are like fog lights but with no separate lights or housings, it somehow creates what are pretty much fog lights out of the same projector. I tested it out one night and you could see the additional lighting on the road, hopped out and couldn't tell a difference when looking at the front of the car - just looked like the low beam projector lights. Kind of neat and now I can drive around with my fog lights on even when they aren't needed without people making fun of me (j/k).

Parts cost is ~$900 each side so not too terrible.
Pictures????

Any option to make them yellow or at least a warmer color temperature.

I haven't hit a lot of fog for a while but last night was pretty bad. My Accord with yellow Hella DE fogs and 5000k HID's with 50W ballasts was much better than the white LED fogs/projector headlights in the Pilot.

Pictures????

Any option to make them yellow or at least a warmer color temperature.

I haven't hit a lot of fog for a while but last night was pretty bad. My Accord with yellow Hella DE fogs and 5000k HID's with 50W ballasts was much better than the white LED fogs/projector headlights in the Pilot.

Same color as the regular low beams, just the low and wide pattern closer in front of the car like typical fogs. I could not see any difference looking at the projector with the poor weather lights on/off so here is a picture of the projector housing. It also has cornering lights (light up to the side of the headlights) that turn on with the turn signal but not entirely sure if they are handled by the projector matrix or the light grid on the side of the projector "eyeball".

ID.4 Headlight.jpeg

Back