The filter pics from my first ARX cleaning cycle are finally up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just quote the post from my site.
quote:

Filters pics are here.

It doesn't photograph very well but there was a tiny amount of metal in the filter. It looked like little flakes of glitter. Probably nothing to stress over but.......
frown.gif
any metal is bad.

The last 3 pics are of the gunk I scrapped off of the filter material. By my guess it represents about 80% of the total debris in the filter. This does not account for the substantial amount of debris that wasn't trapped in the pleats and was poured out of the remaining oil when I opened the filter.

You should be able to view the post there without logging in or registering. If you can't then pm or email me.

Can't say that I did. I don't happen to have a magnet hanging around though.

The rest of the debris was really gritty. I tried rolling it around between my fingers and couldn't get it to melt so I don't suppose the grittiness was the ARX "wax" particles that people are so familiar with.

That's worse than my first RX bottle Mazda filter, Grit is a good description IMO. The wax is gone in current product too. Sure cleaned something out of that engine and it will only get better.

One other thing I noticed is that this Bosch filter appeared to have a much greater surface area than the Fram filter did. The little anti-drainback valve seems much more substantial as well.

I am not surprised that you found a lot of crap in the oil. Did you also see a lot of debris in the oil out of the drain plug that was not filtered out ? IMO, if these filters were doing any kind of decent job the debris should have been filtered out because the media was not full to the point of 100% bypass correct. I had a similar situation with the use of Neutra, the filter appeared to be useless as so much debris was still contained in the oil when it came out of the drain plug. I honestly think the filters should be capturing this debris that is clearly visible to the eye.

[ November 12, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Wow... that is a lot of crud!

When I ran Auto-Rx in a "clean" 45k mile engine, I saw a surprising amount of stuff in the filter, but no where even close to the crap coming out of your "dirty" engine.

now that's alot of crud to have in an engine. good thing is being disolved slowly, I could see a clogged pickup screen if this was done with a solvent cleaning. So Aaron, what's your take on the under valve cover cleaning? Noticeable improvement? Steve

ToyotaSteve

These are just the pics of the filter after the first 1500 mile cleaning that were never posted with the others. I have been meaning to open the filter up for two weeks now.

The valve cover hasn't been off since the last pics of the engine. (two weeks ago)

I am within 2 weeks of finishing the 2000 rinse cycle though and I can't wait to see what it looks like. What I am really looking forward to though, is a compression test.

"edit" If you were asking my opinion on the 1500 mile pics, yes, there was considerable improvement over the "before" pics. It was really visable in person.

[ November 12, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

Dam thats a load of crud!
shocked.gif
RX seems to be working according to what you have shown.

I hope you will show pictures of the filter and valve covers after the rinse cycle.

Great work Aaron! Thanks!
bowdown.gif
cheers.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 5800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82900 Miles. (Switching to GC next)

Thanks for the filter pics Aaron. All I can muster is slow cleaning is definitely the prefered method in this case. The gunkish deposits found in the filter did not arrive at the pleats as a unit, but over time. As the filter media blinds, it actually becomes a much tighter filter and the masses will accumulate. I don't beleave that what you felt was wax crystals.
What it is accumuated coked up oil deposits. As for the shiney metal substances found, I am sure they are wear metals. But hey, with the amounts of coked up sludge in the top of the motor, likely starving vital engine parts(cam bearings) for oil, I would expect alot of wear metals form the past to become liberated.

Everyone always wants to talk about the lubricative abilities of oil. Often left out is the oils ability to carry away heat from frictional sources.The bottom line is that if oil can't reach frictional sources, it can not lubricate nor carry away heat. In this case, both were likely occuring.This is the perfect breading ground for wear. Looks like you are making great strides. Keep up the good work. I am impressed.

quote:

Would a filter as dirty as that be in " bypass " mode so to speak?

This is a good question. It would have been interesting to flow test the filter and compare it to a new one.

Does anyone here have any data on exactly how much debris will make a filter start bypassing?

Probably alot i'd say..

As a wild guess, I dont think the amount of crud you had woulda put the filter into permanant bypass mode. There is alot of surface area in a filter!

Will you also cut open the filter used for the 2000 mile rinse cycle? It would interesting to see how much more junk comes off in the rinse cycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back