AAP dumpster diving oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was dropping off some used oil at Advance Auto Parts this evening, and next to the tank was a barrel with a bunch of used oil filters.
For giggles I randomly grabbed 4 that were on top.
STP S2, Purolator PureOne PL24651, Purolator L10241, and a STP S6607XL.
No idea what vehicles they were on, oil used or time in use. Enjoy.

STP S2

E-core filter:

Media intact, nitril ADV still pliable:

Looks like I am panning for gold. Lots of metal flakes in there:

A lot of metal in there

This is what rubbed off just 1 fold of a pleat:

There are some issues with this vehicle for sure, but the filter looks like it did it's job.

Purolator PureOne PL24651

Not sure what this is in the filter.

Pulled it off, came off easily:

Umm, and why are these called Tearolator?

Not much debris in the can (but with that huge hole, why would there be):

So this is the older Yellow PureOne (need to look for date code), but still a massive failure.

Purolator L10241

Pleats look good:

Louvers are decent:

Not much in here:

Seems to be decent overall, better looking than the Purolator PureOne.

STP S6607XL

Silicone ADV, spiral holes:

Pleats look good:

Forgot to take a pic of inside the can, but was clean (you can kind of see it in the pic below).
This seems to be a decent filter, I think it is a synthetic blend media?

All of them cut apart:

This was just an exercise of my boredom, but found it interesting. I may do this whenever I drop oil off in the future, just to see what some look like.

Thanks! Didn't see a date on the Purolator....wonder when it was (poorly) built?

This is why I went back to strictly OEM filters on my Tacoma, no problems ever. Seen a lot of scary stuff posted on aftermarket filters since I joined this site.

Nice work. My local AAP has a Fram PH10600 on their oil tank. Someone actually put an OCOD in their Audi!
eek.gif

Good job cutting open the filters. I always cut open my filters, I believe its a very good way to monitor the health of your engine other than oil analysis.
the first one definitely had issues, scary looking.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Holy smokes that yellow can pureone is absolute trash !!
I'm looking forward to more posts

+1 Total garbage. I finished with them years ago, and have no intentions of going back.

OP thanks for posting.

Sounds like the auto parts stores is the place to get filters to scratch the C&P itch.
grin.gif
Whatever engine that STP filter was on is eating itself alive.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Holy smokes that yellow can pureone is absolute trash !!
I'm looking forward to more posts
+1 Total garbage. I finished with them years ago, and have no intentions of going back. OP thanks for posting.
I had never used a Purolator (unless you count OEM MC filters) before joining BITOG. At the time when I joined, the P1 was all the rave. Not too long after, the Purolator became the Tearolator and I had one that had 3 tears in it. I stopped using them and will never use them again. It was easy for me to stop using a product I had never used before, but there were SO many fanboys that defended Purolator until Purolator redesigned the full line and the ADBV's started shredding. I hope M&H does not screw up WIX...

Just a few more pics in daylight.

Date code is F02G04G2, which is Feb 4, 2015 from what I have found for Purolator date codes.

Another pic of the torn media. Seems to follow the pattern of a tear at a wide pleat next to the seam.
Although this one is not a tear like most others I have seen.

The media was pretty brittle. I was able to tear it with my fingers, as well as the glue seperating from the endcap.
As said, no idea how long the filter was on the vehicle or how many miles on it. It could have been used and abused.
Still, for grabbing a random filter and finding it is not a good sign.

Here are more pics of the media of the STP S2:

And another:

This is what I was able to quickly scrape from the media. Just gross.

I wish I could let the owner know what may be going on inside the engine.
That aside, I am impressed with how the filter held up.
I am also wondering if this filter was going into bypass with how thickly coated the media was, I could see it having a lot of pressure to get through that media.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
Nice work. My local AAP has a Fram PH10600 on their oil tank. Someone actually put an OCOD in their Audi!
eek.gif

What is wrong with the Orange Can Fram? I would use it any day over a tearolator.

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
eek.gif

What is wrong with the Orange Can Fram? I would use it any day over a tearolator.

+1 - I'd use the Oil Can Of Delight , any day over the Purolator.

That STP (Black) top tier filter is a real good filter I have used several and cut them all open and they look great. The only prob is it cost more then a Fram Ultra and the FU is even better for less $

I don't trust Purolator oil filters. Too much evidence out there.
They can paint their new stuff red, blue, pink, whatever, but its still the Purolator people.
Fram Ultra for the win.

It is important to remember we don't know any details about the filter with the tear in it. With that much gunk, it was obviously in an abused engine. Not saying it shouldn't have torn, but there's a lot we don't know about the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back