The Dart is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't we just redesign all of the cars from the late 60's to the early 80's and bring them back too...

I can see those baby boomers lining up to relive their youth in a new Dodge Dart designed by Alfa Romeo! Not!

Expect more of this from Chrysler as it begins adding Alfa/Fiat models to its lineup (and eliminates a few of its current ones). The proof of the pudding will be how reliable these cars are. Chrysler doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for reliablity and Fiat is pretty low in reliability rankings as well. Although Chrysler has done some impressive things with their new American designs on a very limited budget (Motor Trend came close to naming the new 300 as COTY...barely beat out by the VW Passat), we're all waiting to see how they hold up over time. I had a great experience with my 2003 PT Cruiser (really miss that car..."sniff"), not everyone is so lucky. It's a very competitive market out there and these cars had better be good out of the box if they hope to compete. I for one am rooting for them.

Much better Dodgification of a Fiat than I expected, especially the availability of the GEMA in the R/T version.

It's about time Dodge gets a real small car in their lineup. The Caliber was not a suitable Neon replacement.

Hopefully they do this one right.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
The proof of the pudding will be how reliable these cars are. Chrysler doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for reliablity

Its not 2001 anymore. The Chrysler products of the past 5-7 years have been quite reliable. The 61TE FWD transmission solved all the nightmares of the old 41TE, and the 545RFE and heavy duty 65RFE in trucks have been superb. The EDZ 4-cylinder was a great little basic engine after some initial head gasket woes back in the 90s, the GEMA replacement hasn't been a troublemaker even with its more advanced features like VVT. The lousy 2.7 v6 is now gone, and the LX/LC platform cars (Charger, 300, Challenger, Magnum) and all their v8 and v6 engines except he 2.7 were solid right out of the box. Even the re-worked Avenger and 200 (nee Sebring) are pretty darn good cars now. About the biggest gripe you can now repeatedly find on the 'net (if you remove anything to do with the 2.7) is HVAC problems on early Gen-3 Ram trucks, and the crummy interior materials on the Caliber/Compass/Patriot (fixed as of 2011).

If I have a concern about reliability, it involves the Fiat parts and not the Chrysler ones.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: oilmaven
The proof of the pudding will be how reliable these cars are. Chrysler doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for reliablity

If I have a concern about reliability, it involves the Fiat parts and not the Chrysler ones.

Magnum,
I'm a Chrysler man myself but let's not be partial for a second...

Last edited:
Yeah, the ages old refrain of 'I hate Chrysler' is getting a little old...

That was then, this is NOW! Wait till SRT division releases the Demon! It will be hot.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Magnum,
I'm a Chrysler man myself but let's not be partial for a second...

I'm not being "partial." I'm objectively looking at all the things that I realize gave Chrysler a bad reliability rap in the 1990s and how they've fixed them from about 2003 or so progressively until 2011. The only reason I have any question about the Fiat parts is simple unfamiliarity. I've *read* that Fiat is not the Fiat of the 70s that brought us abominations like the X1/9 and the Brava, and that they've developed a very good reputation in Europe. But I've no hands-on experience to tell me what to expect. The US-spec Fiat 500s look fantastic fit/finish wise, and the Multi-Air engine obviously has some great technology behind it... but will it last without having problems? I just don't know.

cool.gif

Make the SRT/Demon version an Evo/STI fighter, 'rally car' (lightweight AWD system, intercooled turbo 2 liter, 6/7 speed gearbox, lockable center diff, Torsen-type limited slip, etc.).

It is impossible to know how good a car really is until 7 years down the road, and by then a company could have done a complete 180 in quality.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I like it too.

Maybe they could also resurrect the Cordoba with it's "fine Corninthian leather".

Oh, please God, don't let that happen. :p

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I can see those baby boomers lining up to relive their youth in a new Dodge Dart designed by Alfa Romeo! Not!

Yeah! Can't wait to relive my youth. Owned a '64 Dart, '69 Dart. '73 Dart. Not bad cars for that time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back