What is the reliability of Mini Coopers?

From what I've collected they're not that reliable but that could mean you get a great deal on a decent used car just keep an emergency fund.

Last edited:
They're bad, plain and simple. Son in law had a that 4 door version his parents got him as a graduation gift. Traded it for a Camry after the first out of warranty repair since it was 1700 over a no start issue.

My neighbor has a 2021 and around here it’s hard to get basic maintenance parts such as air/oil filters and brakes. Local parts stores don’t stock the items and have to be ordered unless he goes to dealer. Ends up ordering internet ahead of time to do the job. A lot cheaper.

My neighbor has a 2021 and around here it’s hard to get basic maintenance parts such as air/oil filters and brakes. Local parts stores don’t stock the items and have to be ordered unless he goes to dealer. Ends up ordering internet ahead of time to do the job. A lot cheaper.
An 06 corolla with only 30k miles? What's the story on that one.

Early Mini had a problem with the oil pickup screen becoming clogged bc the owners didn't change the oil+filter every 5000 miles. That's been rectified.

Now, I've owned bimmers since 1974 when I gave up riding 2 wheelers and after I spend a ton of $ on a used 1969 AH Sprite. I bought a nicely used 1971 BMW 2002. I knew zip about cars. It need rotors, naturally. Had to sell it when the girl I married couldn't for the life of me learn how drive a stick. We bought an Olds Cutlass. She got it in the divorce and bought another used bimmer. Never look at other brands since. I've driven many other brands from Yugo (I think I burned the engine up!!) to MB. I've driven them on all sorts of roads-Autobahn and Autostrada to the back roads of Ireland. Yes, bimmers cost money to maintain. My belief is that BMW tunes the crap out the cars and uses quality parts, but these parts wear out more frequently. Luckily, I'm handy with tools, and as retired MIL, I can work on our car at the bases' auto skills shops.

Oh no buddy. As a Mini owner I'm automatically biased and disqualified from mythbusting. I have put only 50k miles on my Mini in two years. People who don't own a Mini and who go by hearsay are much more qualified and can determine Mini reliability and repair cost in an unpartial manner based on the number of parked Minis they see and on what so-and-so says. 🙂

Oh no buddy. As a Mini owner I'm automatically biased and disqualified from mythbusting. I have put only 50k miles on my Mini in two years. People who don't own a Mini and who go by hearsay are much more qualified and can determine Mini reliability and repair cost in an unpartial manner based on the number of parked Minis they see and on hearsay. 🙂
Yup.. makes perfect sense on this here internet 😜🛜

I had an 850 Mini in the mid 1960s. Looked like this but mine was a nice copper color. It was fairly reliable, fashionably leaked oil like all British cars should, until it got creamed by a Pontiac Bonneville on a snowy midwest day.

Mini.jpg

My son bought a used n/a Mini about 10yrs ago. Last yr, he bought a new Mini estate? Run flats, meh, AWD and a turbo or 2. The original Mini has over 150K miles on it, mostly highway with a little 'round town driving. He knows how to change the oil. He lives in western MA in the Berkshires, so I guess AWD is a plus. As for crash worthiness, they have all the airbags. I saw a Mini-Cooper parked beside a MINI. The new car was at least a foot larger in every dimension. ANyway, he never complains about the Break My Wallet problem which has been a BMW fault forever :cool:

Thank heavens the real BITOG experts are here- the people who have never owned, driven, or sat in a Mini Cooper.
Well the wife had a 2018 for 2 years in fact that is why neighbor bought one for his wife. I had the same issues for the maintenance parts.

Yup.. makes perfect sense on this here internet 😜🛜
You quoted me too quickly. I edited my post because I had repeated the word hearsay and I didn't want to be accused of being repetitive. This goes to further show I'm an unreliable source altogether. By the way, Miss Moneypenny is currently parked. How do I know she's still in good health? Well, I don't know and that's why she's parked inside so I can hide her likely embarrasing state of demise from the prying eyes of the community.

Back