The cost of college

I would say, if they have to use that kind of language to get their point across them perhaps they didn’t have a point to begin with.
Use of profanity demonstrates a poor vocabulary, an inability to articulate a point.

For example:
I feel an educated individual is a more well rounded individual. I keep running into these dropouts who either dropped out of grade school, jr high, or high school, and they can’t even complete a sentence without dropping f-bombs with every other word. Just total and complete uneducated Neanderthals. Women as we’ll a show men. They’re immature and can’t get their sh** together.

An educated individual, or even a well rounded individual, wouldn’t need profanity to make their point, particularly if the point is about the use of profanity by the uneducated.

Use of profanity demonstrates a poor vocabulary, an inability to articulate a point.

For example:

An educated individual, or even a well rounded individual, wouldn’t need profanity to make their point, particularly if the point is about the use of profanity by the uneducated.
Yes exactly👍 You probably explained it better than me in my previous post. If I sounded a little off beat I apologize. You actually never realize how moronic profanity sounds until you hear it coming from someone else. My first year of college I remember one of my professors standing up in front of class and telling us “If anyone wants to drop out feel free to do so there is the door. Education is expensive but ignorance is more expensive“. That was probably back in 1987. Those words have stuck with me ever since.

There is a direct correlation between the political party that believes in Social Engineering at taxpayer expense making subsidized, low interest student loans available and the colleges and universities seeing all that "easy money" as the opportunity to raise tuitions to ridiculous levels. And there is a direct correlation between the political donations given by those in the educational field to that party that arranged for them to get salary increases way in excess to COL increases.

Funny how that same political party that created the mess now wants to make it even worse by forgiving about a trillion dollars worth of student debt. Like the country needs even more economic pain.

The days of educators working for modest salaries and doing it for the love of teaching and the desire to serve their communities is long gone.

I take it you don’t get out of your little safety bubble very often. Or did I strike a nerve?

You usually have great posts.

But the one he is pointing to is an epic failure. You made some incomprehensible gibberish sentence, plus you used profanity.

That's the huge irony in your post.... You didn't strike a nerve, you made most people facepalm.

And don't get so situated on your high horse about a college education. Some of the dumbest people walking around in the US are college graduates. An education comes in many forms.

But the one he is pointing to is an epic failure. You made some incomprehensible gibberish sentence, plus you used profanity.

That's the huge irony in your post.... You didn't strike a nerve, you made most people facepalm.

And don't get so situated on your high horse about a college education. Some of the dumbest people walking around in the US are college graduates. An education comes in many forms.
I did not want to use blatant profanity that’s why I used the asterisks as a metaphor. Because everyone of those types of people I had to deal with (which I do on a daily basis) can’t spit out a complete sentence without everything being f this or f that, or mother f’er that or this. It’s embarrassing. And they wonder why they are where they are at in life and why no one will ever take them seriously.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and I know PhD holders that are complete and total misfits.

I apologize for taking us so far off topic. @aquariuscsm - I apologize for not using some emoji or other obvious sign that I intended to tease.

As I’ve mentioned in other threads, my wife and I put our six children (her three and my three) through college. From 2012 to 2022 we had between one and four children in college each year. The year that we had four was particularly challenging.

The relative affordability of college, financial aid, cash flow, and the value we placed on a college education, played an enormous role in our lives and had tremendous impacts on our personal finance. It shaped our future. It defined our limits. As an example, we have a fleet of 20 year old cars, bought used, because honestly, well used cars were all we could afford at the time.

But every one of the kids graduated college debt free. That was a priority for us.

Every one of the kids is employed, on their own, and working in a professional capacity; medicine, biochemistry research, banking, business owner, and as a manager for Meta.

The struggle, the sacrifice, to pay for college was absolutely worth it. I believe in the intrinsic value of an education.

I do worry about the sense of entitlement on the part of many children, and the sense of obligation on the part of parents, in driving many children to college when they would be better served other options. This cycle of demand has driven record numbers going to college and is part of the reason the price has skyrocketed.

I did not want to use blatant profanity that’s why I used the asterisks as a metaphor. Because everyone of those types of people I had to deal with (which I do on a daily basis) can’t spit out a complete sentence without everything being f this or f that, or mother f’er that or this. It’s embarrassing. And they wonder why they are where they are at in life and why no one will ever take them seriously.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and I know PhD holders that are complete and total misfits.
I work with several of them who I think ended up as college professors simply because they could not function in life outside of the university environment and have very poor social skills.

I've had people use profanity during interviews, it isn't a good look.

I also retracted my posts and deleted them because after rereading them I realized they sounded out of character.

I want to apologize to you again Astro. As I just got through dealing with one of these people, and I guess they rubbed me the wrong way, and I vented here on the forum which was way out of line.

Again Astro, I’m truly sorry (I can’t seem to find a handshake emoticon:) )

I apologize for taking us so far off topic. @aquariuscsm - I apologize for not using some emoji or other obvious sign that I intended to tease.

As I’ve mentioned in other threads, my wife and I put our six children (her three and my three) through college. From 2012 to 2022 we had between one and four children in college each year. The year that we had four was particularly challenging.

The relative affordability of college, financial aid, cash flow, and the value we placed on a college education, played an enormous role in our lives and had tremendous impacts on our personal finance. It shaped our future. It defined our limits. As an example, we have a fleet of 20 year old cars, bought used, because honestly, well used cars were all we could afford at the time.

But every one of the kids graduated college debt free. That was a priority for us.

Every one of the kids is employed, on their own, and working in a professional capacity; medicine, biochemistry research, banking, business owner, and as a manager for Meta.

The struggle, the sacrifice, to pay for college was absolutely worth it. I believe in the intrinsic value of an education.

I do worry about the sense of entitlement on the part of many children, and the sense of obligation on the part of parents, in driving many children to college when they would be better served other options. This cycle of demand has driven record numbers going to college and is part of the reason the price has skyrocketed.
Man that’s AWESOME!!👍👍

I work at a University, and think education is very important, but also that everyone has a different path in life. It's important that as a society we recognize this instead of only insisting that one path is the answer, like I have consistently seen in many high schools.

The problem I see is that the university system has become unbalanced, since the degrees are costing way more now than the income that can be generated by the fields they are meant to fill. We have students being encouraged to take on $100k-$150k in loans, where the fields they are studying will make nowhere near that in salary. It is a recipe for economic disaster when these people graduate with all this debt but cannot make a decent living like they were told they would. Part of the blame is certainly on the individuals and their lack of research and awareness, but the university system is also at fault. For the record I also do not think debt forgiveness is the answer.

I work at a University, and think education is very important, but also that everyone has a different path in life. It's important that as a society we recognize this instead of only insisting that one path is the answer, like I have consistently seen in many high schools.

The problem I see is that the university system has become unbalanced, since the degrees are costing way more now than the income that can be generated by the fields they are meant to fill. We have students being encouraged to take on $100k-$150k in loans, where the fields they are studying will make nowhere near that in salary. It is a recipe for economic disaster when these people graduate with all this debt but cannot make a decent living like they were told they would. Part of the blame is certainly on the individuals and their lack of research and awareness, but the university system is also at fault. For the record I also do not think debt forgiveness is the answer.
You are correct! Got my daughter and her fifth year in USMC active duty and only college I care about paying for is hers through my tax dollars and my inheritance money. I like to help those who are helping themselves. With a hand up and not a handout. Seems when we give people too much of anything for free they just take it for granted or don't take care of it at all. I got a friend of mine who was a rated E3 who never went to college but luckily was blessed to work on aviation in the Navy and he makes over $150,000 a year doing computer stuff that he likes from home and then goes around on the weekends and is taking up carpentry on his own home. Colleges and tech schools alike should only take the amount of students for the jobs that are open. We have that same problem right now in healthcare will we've got too many pharmacists and not enough openings yet they gladly took their money knowing they would go in debt to which half of them will never get in to that field. We also see a lot of our youth and sometimes older people who have all this collateral debt and they still can't get a job based on what they were taught or went to school to learn. I might be kind of an idiot cuz I only did one years of Junior college but the last 3 years before I quit working full time I made $70,000 a year no tax. The people that impress me as being the most brilliant are the ones that find ways to make income that no one thought of. Or on The Big bang theory how Leonard got Penny.

Good post! I remember when college was affordable. You could go to junior college for next to nothing and then transfer to university and almost have everything all wrapped up. A lot of high schools offered college preparatory programs to prepare kids to enter adulthood and into the real world. Honestly if I could be 18 again, I would go straight into the military.

On a personal note - when I went to college (1981) it was $16,000/year at the most expensive level.

I qualified for financial aid and had some academic scholarship money.

I still took out $12,000 in student loans. Loans that my father had said he would take care of. I got a 3 year military deferment on them.

He passed away at a young age, with the loans still outstanding. I came back from Desert Storm and found the loans in arrears (mail didn’t get to us back then).

I took care of those loans, but they were quite small compared with the debt that kids take on these days.

My promise to my children was the same as my father’s to me - we
will get you through college and you will graduate without debt.

I am very grateful that I was able to do that for them. Even more grateful that I am still here, much older than he ever was.

I saw my Dad in the hospital just before his passing, and one of his great regrets was not being able to take care of my modest student loans.

The sense of obligation parents (most parents) have is powerful.

The challenge in today’s college cost climate is how to fulfill that obligation.

I don’t mind people that use simple language and profanity, I don’t think any lesser of them. Simple language is a lot easier to deal with and detect lies/deceit, however unpleasant or unsophisticated it may sound.

It’s the silver tongues that I watch out for.

However in a work/school environment, profanity should be used very scarcely. I would not say it has absolutely no place because sometimes it does help with getting a point across. But it’s scarce use is what makes it effective sometimes, not the profanity itself. IMO

Back